Home | Community | Message Board


Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)?
    #794057 - 09/21/15 09:07 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

First attempt at ebb an flow :ganja:

I have absolutely horrible luck with rockwool, it either dries out, molds or just does nothing. :shrug:

Ive heard of but never used rapid rooters, perlite, hydroton, net cups and peat disks for starting seeds but what works best for you to start a seedling and then move into ??? for veg then into ebb n flow for flowering.. 

Im currently just germinating seeds in small hydroton cups then once the seedlings are big enough I remove the hydroton and I put them in my aerocloner to veg then into my ebb n flow BUT I dont have anything to protect my rootball during transplants and if Im rough putting into flower I can lose the plant because the roots get tore up on the growstones. 

heres what Im working with so far
germinate an start seedlings
aerocloner/veg sites (veg to 12")
(I changed tops to a 12 site instead of 24)



current-






:thanx:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Edited by 13buds (09/21/15 09:13 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery


Registered: 04/20/08
Posts: 5,506
Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Last seen: 20 minutes, 50 seconds
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #794064 - 09/21/15 11:39 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Keep on doing what your doing.  :thumbup:





                              :flowerchild:


--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery


Registered: 04/21/08
Posts: 6,497
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #794070 - 09/21/15 12:49 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Start the seeds in a towel. Then cut a slit in a rockwool cube or even easier by the ones with them in it already. Leave the seed in the towel till the root is about a half inch to a inch long then just slide it in the slit you cut in the rockwool cube. Wrap tape around it and cover the top of the cube as much as you can so light doesn't hit it that is the reason you get the growth on the cubes.
Actually the ones that are round with the slit are called plugs rather then cubes.





:happyweed:


--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?


:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Magash]
    #794076 - 09/21/15 03:25 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
Keep on doing what your doing.  :thumbup:





                              :flowerchild:




I would BUT I have a 12 site ebb an flow and only 5 made it to finish this time because of the root damage from transplanting with no protection.  :smirk:

Quote:

Magash said:
Start the seeds in a towel. Then cut a slit in a rockwool cube or even easier by the ones with them in it already. Leave the seed in the towel till the root is about a half inch to a inch long then just slide it in the slit you cut in the rockwool cube. Wrap tape around it and cover the top of the cube as much as you can so light doesn't hit it that is the reason you get the growth on the cubes.
Actually the ones that are round with the slit are called plugs rather then cubes.





:happyweed:




do you have to ph those or just soakem for a bit?

last time i used rockwool I killed 48 clones to mold b4 they even had roots  :facepalm:

Ive had really bad luck with rockwool products cus Ive never used them or know anyone that does that can show me how they are supposed to be done. 
Ive watched tons of videos etc but Im not getting something when it comes to rockwool :shrug:

can I just set the moistened plugs in my hydroton under a dome to wick up any moisture it may need?:bonghit2:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Edited by 13buds (09/24/15 02:28 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Registered: 09/20/15
Posts: 123
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #794735 - 09/26/15 10:42 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
First attempt at ebb an flow :ganja:

I have absolutely horrible luck with rockwool, it either dries out, molds or just does nothing. :shrug:

Ive heard of but never used rapid rooters, perlite, hydroton, net cups and peat disks for starting seeds but what works best for you to start a seedling and then move into ??? for veg then into ebb n flow for flowering.. 

Im currently just germinating seeds in small hydroton cups then once the seedlings are big enough I remove the hydroton and I put them in my aerocloner to veg then into my ebb n flow BUT I dont have anything to protect my rootball during transplants and if Im rough putting into flower I can lose the plant because the roots get tore up on the growstones. 

heres what Im working with so far
germinate an start seedlings
aerocloner/veg sites (veg to 12")
(I changed tops to a 12 site instead of 24)



current-






:thanx:




that's the way i play. keep it up :thumbup::thumbup:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Registered: 09/20/15
Posts: 123
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: AGrower]
    #794770 - 09/27/15 01:29 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't use Rockwool myself. Clay Pellets because they can be used over and over; and over and over; and over


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: AGrower]
    #795099 - 09/29/15 06:26 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

well rockwool strikes again...  I lost all of my seedlings..  never got to even grow/try one.  :tombstone:

bye bye waist of money 5x G13 haze and 4x C99 seedlings..  :noob:

I fucking hate rockwool.  :banghead:

:bonghit:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Registered: 09/20/15
Posts: 123
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795125 - 09/29/15 09:46 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
well rockwool strikes again...  I lost all of my seedlings..  never got to even grow/try one.  :tombstone:

bye bye waist of money 5x G13 haze and 4x C99 seedlings..  :noob:

I fucking hate rockwool.  :banghead:

:bonghit:




I said not to use rockwool. for a reason. it wasn't just to type words. should have used what I mentioned: LECA (clay pellets).

  -Better Luck Next Time-


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 24,079
Loc: No where ville, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795193 - 09/29/15 02:39 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Rapid Rooter plugs are what I prefer.
And when the root pops out of the bottom, I put them in to the medium.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Stoneth]
    #795200 - 09/29/15 03:26 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Rapid Rooter plugs are what I prefer.
And when the root pops out of the bottom, I put them in to the medium.




isnt that just rockwool?  :confused2:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: AGrower]
    #795201 - 09/29/15 03:30 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AGrower said:
Quote:

13buds said:
well rockwool strikes again...  I lost all of my seedlings..  never got to even grow/try one.  :tombstone:

bye bye waist of money 5x G13 haze and 4x C99 seedlings..  :noob:

I fucking hate rockwool.  :banghead:

:bonghit:




I said not to use rockwool. for a reason. it wasn't just to type words. should have used what I mentioned: LECA (clay pellets).

  -Better Luck Next Time-




you clearly didnt read my OP then, I was using hydroton to start my seedlings but I have to veg and I have to put them into growstone so I need some rootball protection or they get damaged when I transfer into flowering.

clay pellets fall off the second you pick the plant up and leave you with just roots hanging.  I need something I can transfer.

if I were in soil this wouldnt be an issue but Im not so...  FUCK!  :noob:

:suicide:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 24,079
Loc: No where ville, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795203 - 09/29/15 03:32 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Nope.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Hydroponics-Rapid-Rooter-Replacement-Plugs-50-Free-Priority-Shipping-/131600722395?hash=item1ea403a9db
Rock wool tends to hold to much water for to long drowning and/or causing rot in some cases.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Stoneth]
    #795205 - 09/29/15 03:50 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

thats what happened, one rotted and the others drown..  :rolleyes:

k, once you moisten a rapid rooter what do you put it in/on while the seedling is trying to root  :shrug:

my plan was to place seedlings in 12 plugs then once rooted put into 2"netpots with growstone or hydroton to cover the plugs for veg. 

the netpots are in my aerocloner so I can control feedings.

once they got to size I transfer the netpots into my ebb n flow medium (growstone). 

I normally just clone from a mother but I flowered her and was tring to start anew.  :smirk:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 24,079
Loc: No where ville, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795217 - 09/29/15 04:38 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Usually I use a plate or small plastic flat bottom dish of some sort.
With about 1/4 inch of water on the bottom of the plug.
I personally like to go to medium in your case net pot grow stones once the root shows itself popping out.
And of course no food until plants ask for it, starting low working up from there.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Stoneth]
    #795219 - 09/29/15 04:44 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

:greenthumb::leafsmoke:

now to scrape up some cash to get rapid rooters... :stoner:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Registered: 12/04/12
Posts: 781
Last seen: 7 months, 4 days
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795303 - 09/30/15 12:30 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

i really never had a problem with rock wool cubes.  i do mine kinda like how mag says. ill geminate in wet paper towel but i wait till the seed is at a min of 1.5 inche long. so when u start to see the first two leafs it starts with then i cut a slit one one side in the middle going from up to down then i just put the seedling in the cube and then fully cover with what ever stone medium im using for hydro, just so only the plant is sticking above the rocks or maybe just the top of the rockwool wont be covered till the plant is a little taller.

oh and shoudl pre soak rockwool to get its ph to were it shoudl be. its always off.  first ill soak in plan water to wash what ever crap out two or 3 times.  then when the water is comming out clear when i squeeze the cube then ill let it soak in ph water for a couple hours. then good to go


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery


Registered: 04/21/08
Posts: 6,497
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Mrshroom]
    #795317 - 09/30/15 02:06 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

If you have problems with rockwool PH then get some of this and soak them overnight before putting seeds into the plugs and you won't have ph problems. Plus there are some hormones in it that help seeds to get a start. The stuff is cheap and easy to find.






:happyweed:


--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?


:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Registered: 09/20/15
Posts: 123
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: 13buds]
    #795319 - 09/30/15 02:15 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
thats what happened, one rotted and the others drown..  :rolleyes:

k, once you moisten a rapid rooter what do you put it in/on while the seedling is trying to root  :shrug:

my plan was to place seedlings in 12 plugs then once rooted put into 2"netpots with growstone or hydroton to cover the plugs for veg. 

the netpots are in my aerocloner so I can control feedings.

once they got to size I transfer the netpots into my ebb n flow medium (growstone). 

I normally just clone from a mother but I flowered her and was tring to start anew.  :smirk:




With the correct about of oxygen being pumped into the water you wont get root rot


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: AGrower]
    #795321 - 09/30/15 04:37 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
If you have problems with rockwool PH then get some of this and soak them overnight before putting seeds into the plugs and you won't have ph problems. Plus there are some hormones in it that help seeds to get a start. The stuff is cheap and easy to find.






:happyweed:




Im trying not to buy more stuff, if I have to fix something b4 using it its not for me.. :shrug:
Quote:

AGrower said:
With the correct about of oxygen being pumped into the water you wont get root rot




you have got to start reading more of the posts because this isnt even relevant to my uses.. 
my seedlings were in rockwool not water so no amount of oxygenated water would have done squat.
if I were running dwc I would understand but you can read one post and diagnose anything accurately..  thats not help. :smirk:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery


Registered: 08/20/10
Posts: 687
Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Last seen: 5 days, 5 hours
Re: Your favorite ways to start seeds for hydro (ebb n flow)? [Re: Mrshroom]
    #795322 - 09/30/15 04:37 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:
i really never had a problem with rock wool cubes.  i do mine kinda like how mag says. ill geminate in wet paper towel but i wait till the seed is at a min of 1.5 inche long. so when u start to see the first two leafs it starts with then i cut a slit one one side in the middle going from up to down then i just put the seedling in the cube and then fully cover with what ever stone medium im using for hydro, just so only the plant is sticking above the rocks or maybe just the top of the rockwool wont be covered till the plant is a little taller.

oh and shoudl pre soak rockwool to get its ph to were it shoudl be. its always off.  first ill soak in plan water to wash what ever crap out two or 3 times.  then when the water is comming out clear when i squeeze the cube then ill let it soak in ph water for a couple hours. then good to go




yeah Ive tried that, doesnt matter for me, 100% failure everytime with rockwool :shrug2:


--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Hydro / Ebb and Flow
( 1 2 all )
KaptKid 4,928 31 01/20/09 10:06 AM
by captain.koons
* starting seeds in coco God 5,527 9 10/29/09 04:58 PM
by God
* Starting seeds under 12/12?
( 1 2 all )
Deadkndys420 2,415 30 02/02/14 03:54 PM
by fireshaman
* starting seeds in hempy God 2,438 4 07/06/10 01:03 AM
by maryanne3087
* Which Way to Grow Soil or Hydro Question. 2010 Growery Version.
( 1 2 all )
Buddy Guy 3,918 27 04/03/10 08:14 PM
by Union420
* Starting soon
( 1 2 all )
Dionili 2,000 20 04/03/10 07:54 PM
by Union420
* questions on first hydro grow turned half-assed grow log
( 1 2 3 all )
Chemical Addiction 4,968 54 04/29/15 12:45 AM
by Chemical Addiction
* Getting started.
( 1 2 all )
Oatman2000 2,552 20 03/14/09 10:37 PM
by erb

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: FurrowedBrow, Magash, Dr. Siekadellyk, phychotron
3,906 topic views. 5 members, 329 guests and 40 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Seedsman.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.126 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.