Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline114425
Stranger
 User Gallery

Hydro-Organic
    #405941 - 04/23/10 03:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am currently growing in flood-and-drain, and was wanting to switch up from GH nutes to organicare but had a few questions about the whole hydro-organic environment that i keep getting mixed googled answers from:

1. Air stones? do i need an airstone in my res, or is it true the higher oxygen levels will kill the beneficial bacteria?

2. PH? Do you adjust or not adjust, no chemical bumpers obviously but are organic ways like lemon needed?

3. Mediums? Hydroton, rockwool out... only cocoa? What the best medium to start clones in ex. 1x1 grodan, rapid rooters?

4. Clones? Is clonex considered a no-no in organic growing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro-Organic [Re: 114425]
    #405949 - 04/23/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Clonex simply containes Indole-3-butyric acid which is a hormone produced every second of every day within your plants naturally. Using it in a higher concentration (such as clonex) can't possibly be considered a no-no in my opinion (although you might find some hippie that would argue that somewhere)

Quote:

3. Mediums? Hydroton, rockwool out... only cocoa? What the best medium to start clones in ex. 1x1 grodan, rapid rooters

Ok you seem to be confused here. First, grodan IS rockwool. secondly, why are they out? organic refers to the nutrients used to feed the plant, not the medium. Regardless, hydroton is simply expanded clay, and clay is natural. Rockwool is simply spun rock, and rock is natural. I think you can choose whatever the heck you want in this category and nobody can argue, the plants don't absorb the medium, they absorb stuff that's in the medium which is the food you provide.

Quote:

2. PH? Do you adjust or not adjust, no chemical bumpers obviously but are organic ways like lemon needed?

You always check pH in hydro. You might be able to get away without checking in soil but you absolutely have to in hydro, no other options. If you need to buffer the pH you can use lemon juice for pH down and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for pH up but technically baking soda isn't "organic" by the chemistry definition of the word. If I were you I'd shop around for some sort of organic pH adjustment solution, but once again in my opinion it doesn't matter. the plants don't absorb the pH solutions, they absorb the nutrients.

Quote:

1. Air stones? do i need an airstone in my res, or is it true the higher oxygen levels will kill the beneficial bacteria?

well this is irrelevant because if you don't oxygenate your nutrient solution your plants will be dead in a day or two. Even so, you have that backwards, higher levels of dissolved O2 kills the anoxic bacteria which is harmful to your plants.
And remember to keep your nutrient solution cold. If it gets too warm in there you're seriously (and somewhat literally) up shit creek without a paddle in terms of microbial life.

haha, I just noticed I answered your questions in the complete opposite order of how you asked them. No idea why I did that :lol:

--------------------

Offline114425
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro-Organic [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #405973 - 04/23/10 04:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks i read this article http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1534.html, and it just seemed wrong to me... No Ph adjustment, no air stone in the res... as for the medium, i have read and heard that grodan and hydroton arent OMRI certified because the process they are created in comes in contact with non-organic medias, where as cocoa is the main choice for OMRI certified mediums in hydro. Ive seen cocoa 4x4 cubes and but not 1x1, are these available?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydro-Organic [Re: 114425]
    #405974 - 04/23/10 05:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you can get jiffy pellets which are compressed peat. Definitely considered organic :thumbup:

And Coco would be my suggested growing medium anyways, so go for that, or Hempy Buckets.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag