Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
Are gnats a threat to plants?
    #320129 - 11/22/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You know those little harmless gnats you see a lot during summer?  Are they harmless for plants too?  Ever since I transplanted my plants to their second set of pots, I see a gnat every now and then.  I never saw any inside my place before. 

I'm guessing there were gnat eggs or something in the new soil I transplanted the plants to.  I initially used regular miracle gro soil (mistake, it caused some burning).  Now I'm using organic miracle grow soil and so far so good.  I'm also using plant food now and there's still no new burning. 

Anyway...the gnats seem to be leaving the plants alone, but they're annoying lol.  At first I killed them whenever I saw them, but I kept seeing them at the same rate so I just gave up.  Once I saw two mating...I crushed those for sure.  lol

Just want to make sure these things don't mess with plants.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: ganja_fan]
    #320145 - 11/22/09 07:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If they are for a fact in your soil, then yes they can do damage.  The larvae that the gnat lays eat the fine hairs on the root system.  There are a few different ways to combat these guys.  You can get predatory nematodes or soil mites from your local hydro shop, or use a soil additive called bactimos, which contains a bacteria that kills the larvae.

It would be better to take care of this sooner than later so they don't get out of control.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #320153 - 11/22/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Crap, I'll have to get on that.  Thanks for letting me know.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: ganja_fan]
    #320352 - 11/23/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Manually kill the flies as well and put one inch of sand on top of your soil.  This will prevent further egg laying.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: Azyle00]
    #320630 - 11/23/09 06:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Small populations of Fungus gnats are not a problem. Their larvae feed primarily on soil fungus only resorting to roots when their population is to large. Before you get crazy and start introducing harsh chemicals and populations of other insects, try a yellow sticky trap from your local hydro store and about an half inch of sand on the top of your pots. But if you only see them every now and then, chances are that isn't even necessary. Best of luck.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #320794 - 11/23/09 10:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Before you get crazy and start introducing harsh chemicals and populations of other insects, try a yellow sticky trap from your local hydro store and about an half inch of sand on the top of your pots..

For those not lucky enough to have a local hydro store (nearest one to me is 3 hours away) I believe I've seen those yellow sticky traps at walgreens of all places.

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: Ojom]
    #321035 - 11/24/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Like others have said they're not that big of a problem in small numbers, just annoying. Not to mention it's pretty digusting when you find a dead one stuck on a trichome. Kinda funny though too...

Letting the soil dry out a little extra between waterings is usually enough to keep them in check.  If they become a problem or you just want them out, I've had good success using Bacillus Thuringiensis bacteria.  This will kill the larva and remain active in the soil for a while.  One application was good enough to take care of my infestation from a dirty bag of soil.  It's sold in any hardware store as Mosquito Dunks.  Gnatrol also uses Bt bacteria, but in a liquid concentrate form. It's a little easier to apply but also more expensive.

If you wanna use dunks just grind up a small piece of the dunk and let it sit in water for 8-12 hours, then water your plants with the solution. Make sure you water enough to get some run off cause the gnats like to hang out near the drainage holes on the bottom of the pot as well as in the top soil. After a week you should be good, if not repeat another application.

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
Re: Are gnats a threat to plants? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #321208 - 11/24/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Small populations of Fungus gnats are not a problem. Their larvae feed primarily on soil fungus only resorting to roots when their population is to large. Before you get crazy and start introducing harsh chemicals and populations of other insects, try a yellow sticky trap from your local hydro store and about an half inch of sand on the top of your pots. But if you only see them every now and then, chances are that isn't even necessary. Best of luck.

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll try the yellow sticky trap.  There aren't that many gnats flying around anymore.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds