Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePotheadBob
Are these plants of the same strain?
    #62620 - 06/20/08 06:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm about 7 weeks into my grow.  I'm growing 10 Joey Weed Blueberry plants and 3 Dutch Passion Durban Poison Plants outdoors.  Actually I just started 2 of the DPs a little over a week ago due to some difficulties during the grow. 

The thing I'm confused about is how different all of the plants look.  I'm wondering if the blueberries are all blueberries or if I got a mix of seeds from my seedbank.  Two of them are only like 6 inches tall.  One of those six-inchers has really skinny leaves, which I thought was supposed to be a sativa trait.  Two of them got eaten up bad by bugs, so they're understandably small and thin.  The rest are all about 1.5-2 ft tall, but one of them has a purple stem - all of the rest are green.  The DP is definatly the tallest - already about 4 ft.  This makes sense since it is of sativa lineage, but its leaves are really broad and it's not really thin and lanky like sativas are supposed to be.

I plan on getting pics up in a couple of days so you could get a better idea of what I'm talking about (wait till you see the destruction these little bastard bugs did to my young ladies).  But has anybody else ever had this happen.  Have all your plants looked like a variety pack but still be the same strain?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: PotheadBob]
    #62874 - 06/21/08 04:13 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sure they are the same strain. Often, a lot of strains are heterogenous, which means you'll observe at least two different phenotypes when you grow out the genetics, whereas homogenous strains are more stable and will each be pretty much the same. Its all due to how the chromosomes decide to combine and is the same phenomenon responsible for your brother or sister not looking exactly like you. :lol: This is a good thing because it gives you the opportunity to observe their distinct traits, from manner of growth to taste/smell and type of high, and select which ones you wish to continue growing.

Let's see those pictures. :stoned:

--------------------

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: Sirius]
    #62982 - 06/21/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, that makes sense. 

This is actually my second grow.  The first one I grew seeds from bag weed and it was surprising to me this year because all of those plants from the first grow looked alike - same height, leaf structure, and colors.  These plants, on the other hand, show quite a bit of variation.  I'll get those pictures up in a few days.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #63057 - 06/21/08 01:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

say hello to F2 genetics!  That's most likely the reason you're seeing so much variation.  Dutch Passion is a pretty shady seedbank.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: coda]
    #64602 - 06/23/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, I got some pics.  These first two are the small ones, only about 8 inches tall:

Now compared to the others, which average about 3 feet:

You'll notice that third one has a purple stem while the others are all green.  By the way, most of them I topped about a week or two ago.  Here's the Durban Poison, which is a monster - I didn't top this one for some reason.  It's almost 5 feet tall:

I mentioned that I was having bug problems, too.  Two of the plants were ravaged:

All of the plants have some damage, though.  About two weeks ago, I started spraying them with tobacco tea, but I kept seeing damage, so I picked up a spray with Pyrethrins in it and a bug spray called 'Organicide', which is mainly just a mix of different oils.  I loaded them up with the Pyrethrins first to kill bugs on contact and then sprayed them down with the oil to hopefully prevent more infestation.  I started this about 4 days ago and I plan on treating them twice a week until the plants start shaping up.  Check out these close-ups:

Those leaves are all chewed up looking with holes in them, but some of the leaves are brown and shriveled.  Could there be another problem here, or could the leaves just be so eaten and sucked dry that they shriveled away?

Actually Coda, Dutch Passion only supplied the Durban Poison.  Now, out of 15 seeds, that DP - along with two more that I just sprouted and planted - was the only one to make it.  Two plants that died were my fault for not caring for them properly, but the others didn't even germinate despite using three different methods for three sets of seeds, so yes, I agree that Dutch Passion isn't the best of seed banks.  Aside from that DP and the two others I mentioned, all the other plants are Blueberry and they came from Joey Weed.

This grow has been going for about 6 weeks outdoors and 8 in total.

Please give me any comments about the damage to the plants or differences between the Blueberry plants.  Thanks.

OfflinePotheadBob
    #68927 - 06/30/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Over the past week, some of the plants have started falling over.  Two of the blueberries fell completely over and one is leaning.  The Durban Poison also started to fall.  I just staked them for now, but I'm wondering what this problem could be.

I plan to test the pH next time and will be fertilizing them soon.  I had to dig 1.5 to 2 foot holes because the soil is mostly clay at my spot.  Do you think the clay could be preventing the soil from draining enough and causing an overwatering problem?  Would overwatering make the plants fall over?  Please let me know if you have any idea what could be causing this.

By the way, the DP started flowering last week!  I didn't think this was possible as it isn't supposed to finish until end of Sept.  Any ideas why this happened?

OfflinePotheadBob
    #69888 - 07/02/08 07:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It seems like I'm kind of talking to myself here, but after doing some research it seems quite likely that I have an overwatering problem.  It was very rainy and humid the last two weeks and because of the clay at my grow, the soil doesn't drain that well. 

I read about overwatering and it seems that it can cause plants to droop or fall over, yellowing of the bottom leaves, and rapid defoilation.  It can also cause spotting of the leaves.  I've seen all of these problems; although, I think I really did have a bug problem because spraying with Organicide for 2 weeks seems to have prevented holes and spots from forming on the new leaves.

I'm supposed to fertilize soon, but I guess I'll have to hold off to try and let the soil dry out as much as possible.  Since these plants are outdoors and I don't have control over the weather, how do I rememdy a problem with overwatering?  Just pray to the rain gods to ease off?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69916 - 07/02/08 10:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PotheadBob said:
I'm supposed to fertilize soon, but I guess I'll have to hold off to try and let the soil dry out as much as possible.  Since these plants are outdoors and I don't have control over the weather, how do I rememdy a problem with overwatering?  Just pray to the rain gods to ease off?

The best thing you could do is work on creating effective drainage to offset all of the rain you're getting. You could get as simple as just using a soil mix that drains very well, like coco or putting in a lot of perlite or something, or you could get more complex and dig out the area, placing a layer of some bigger rocks underneath where the roots will be, a drainage pipe in there that will carry out moisture somewhere else, and then your soil mix.... I don't have any specific information on this because I've never done it, but am just speaking generally...

Praying isn't as effective as a sacrifice, so keep that in mind when making any decisions regarding appeasing the rain gods. :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: Sirius]
    #71434 - 07/03/08 05:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the plants are already in and have grown quite a bit, so I won't be able to mess with the soil composition or add drainage pipes.  But you gave me an idea.  What do you think about setting some plastic or something around the plant bases to reduce the amount of rain water that penetrates the soil?  Of course, this could also prevent water from evaporating out of the soil. 

I just checked the plants recently and they seem to be better after I staked them up.  It seems like they're holding up a little better since we had 3 days without rain.  Unfortunatley, though, it rained again today and broke that huge 3-day drought.  Since it rained, I went ahead and fertilized the plants.  I've been doing a lot of "sacrificing" to all the bugs that were inhabiting my plants, so maybe things will start to dry up a little bit.

I started my durban poison on 15-30-15 since it showed its sex.  I was surprised as hell to see little buds forming so early.  I again question whether this is the right strain or not since it is supposed to finish late September, but at least it's a girl.  Check it out.

The other bitches are looking a lot better after treating for the infestations.

You think I should top that last one?  The one before it seems to have a lot more node sites going on.  It's too late for the DP since flowers already started popping up.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #71447 - 07/03/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

don't top it, then you'd be removing a budsite.  If i were you i'd take some string and train the main cola by bending it down.  The secondaries will get more light and begin growing up and out and you won't lose any budsites.

--------------------

OfflinePhriend
/\/\♠♠♠/\/\
Male User Gallery

Loc: in the walls
    #71485 - 07/03/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

just an observation
why are your pics seven years older then the post?
whats teh deal with that

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: Phriend]
    #71510 - 07/03/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

probably never set the time date stamp on the camera

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: Phriend]
    #71511 - 07/03/08 05:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it's probably just his camera not set up right.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Are these plants of the same strain? [Re: captain.koons]
    #71972 - 07/04/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, the dates aren't set up right.  I should probably just shut the date off in the pictures.

Good point Coda, I should probably cut up some stakes and bring some string with me next time to start training these plants.

By the way, happy 4th everyone.  Hopefully everyone has something fun lined up for the celebration today.  I'm planning on taking some mushrooms and going to see a fireworks extravaganza.  Should be a good time.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #72290 - 07/04/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Good point Coda, I should probably cut up some stakes and bring some string with me next time to start training these plants.

By the way, happy 4th everyone.  Hopefully everyone has something fun lined up for the celebration today.  I'm planning on taking some mushrooms and going to see a fireworks extravaganza.  Should be a good time.

im sure you won't be disappointed if you do!  I have a friend doing an outdoor grow right now.  He supercropped on the plants by accident trying to train it.  The thing is now a fucking monster (still haven't seen it yet) according to him.

enjoy your trip!

--------------------

OfflinePotheadBob
    #82152 - 07/13/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I checked the plants a week after my last visit and found almost all of them fallen over.  It's kind of driving me nuts.  I don't know what would be causing the plants to fall over, but I assume it has to do something with the soil.  In addition to that, many branches were broken on the plants.  Also, one of the durban poisons was lying on the ground completely withered away and dead.  The remaining two DPs showed their sex and they are both female, so it looks like I won't be seeding the DPs out.  I staked all the plants and made some makeshift splints for broken stems. 

The one plant is practically broken in half and has a huge tear running right through the main stem; although, surprisingly, the leaves past the break all look green and healthy.  I just splinted it up and staked it, but I think I'm going to wrap the break in medical tape to keep infection out and help the healing process. 

This grow is really turning into a disaster of sorts.  Last year, I only checked my plants once every other week at the most - sometimes only once a month and they all made it to the end of grow.  I hope I can help these plants heal up and produce some bud come end of summer.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #82157 - 07/13/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hmm, odd, maybe a large animal or wind causing them to bend and snap?

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #82242 - 07/13/08 05:05 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry about the bad luck man, hopefully you can figure out what is causing that. :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds