Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDANK
VERB CONJUGATeR+HERB INHALATOR
Male User Gallery

HPS or CFL?
    #317419 - 11/17/09 04:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So I was originally thinking about going the CFL route for my cab and ScrOG'ing, but I'm having second thoughts....

My grow area is 7 square feet(the inside of a dresser)

I was planning to have 2 105 W CFLs supplemented by 3 26 W CFLs for a total of about 18,000 lumens.

Would purchasing this combo....

http://www.1000bulbs.com/250-Watt-HPS-HID-Light-Bulbs/
+
http://www.1000bulbs.com/250-Watt-HPS-HID-Light-Bulbs/38907/

... be a better idea? The cost will be about 30 dollars more + the cool tube I would have to construct and the extra fan I would need to purchase (unless i don't need an extra fan? Not to informed about cool tubes).

Would my yields be DRASTICALLY different, or not even noticeable? Would the heat just be to much?

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

*****Which bulb and ballast combination would you experienced growers recommend?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: DANK]
    #318077 - 11/18/09 07:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

with a 7x7 grow area you should probably be looking at a 1000 watt bulbs, or 2 400 watt bulbs.

forgot to add: there will be a huge difference with your end product if you use an HPS over a CFL...

HPS is perfect. youll thank yourself later once you have a larger yield than you would have with just CFLs and denser danker buds.

Edited by Pilze (11/18/09 07:36 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: Pilze]
    #318088 - 11/18/09 07:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

pilze there is a dramatic difference between 7 square feet and 7x7.....

I would recommend the HPS, but CFL's are certainly fun to work with. I'm told they generate just as much if not more heat, but it's spread out over multiple bulbs all with much greater surface area/volume ratios so they feel much cooler and you can have them closer to your plant

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #318096 - 11/18/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

my bad im hiiiiiigh

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: Pilze]
    #318100 - 11/18/09 08:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hahah, +5

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#318113 - 11/18/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:awesome:

thanks dude

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #318479 - 11/19/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
pilze there is a dramatic difference between 7 square feet and 7x7.....

I would recommend the HPS, but CFL's are certainly fun to work with. I'm told they generate just as much if not more heat, but it's spread out over multiple bulbs all with much greater surface area/volume ratios so they feel much cooler and you can have them closer to your plant

Great advice!

Isn't 7ft2 a size something like 3' x 2.5'?  If you are starting out I'd recommend a 250w, although most people would tell you just to get a 400 right off the bat.  Now knowing that this is going to be your first grow, I would rather start off small and work your way up, as I did.  I know for a fact that if I would have just jumped into 400w with the knowledge I had, something would have gotten fucked up.  Not saying you would do the same but I just prefer testing the waters before diving in so to speak.

I say go the 250 route because that fixture is going to be dramatically cooler than the 400w.  You won't need a cool tube, just some ventilation to exchange the volume of air inside your box at least 1x per minute.  So calculate the ft3 of your space and figure you need a fan that can push AT LEAST that many cubic feet in CFM that the fan can handle.

Say your grow space is 100ft3 then you would have to get a fan/inline that would perform 100CFM at the minimum.

I hope this helps.  Go with the 250 from Ebay, $117... Search HTG Supply

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: Inverted]
    #318484 - 11/19/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Alright thanks man and I mispoke when i said 7 ft squared i meant cubed :omgz: !

'Footprint' of cab = 3.5 feet SQUARED
Height = 2 feet

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #318520 - 11/19/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

woah woah woah, height only equals 2 feet?  dude that's pretty much impossible right there.

let me first say, CFL's or LED's are your only option for that height. with an HPS you have to keep the plant at least 6" from the light, plus the light is about 8" deep, there goes 40% of your space and you still haven't even considered how tall the pots are going to be. you need ample root space for plants to survive, at LEAST 8" deep. 8+8+6=22"

2" tall plants? I don't think this is going to work unless you can add at least a foot to it man.

--------------------

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

#318528 - 11/19/09 02:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My parade has officially been rained on =(

Maybe I will use my dresser as a mother/clone cab with CFL's and then construct a larger flower cab for an HPS? What are the optimal dimensions for a flowering cab with a 250W?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #318696 - 11/19/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

man honestly if you're this restricted by space you shouldn't even be worrying about clones and mothers and all that nonsense. just run a crop for seeds so you have a couple thousand, and then you can grow out as many as you can in your limited space. Clones and whatnot are nice, but they take far more space than just having a single area

--------------------

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

#318741 - 11/19/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I was talking about just having some tube floros in my dresser and building a new box to just keep in my closet with an HPS. The way my closet is made(walk in) I could tuck it in the corner and hide it with clothes and boxes and such.

Do you think just growing all my plants from seed would work with my dresser if i just used CFL's? I know my yields would lack the mass they could potentially produce with an HPS. But I still think it would be better then paying the ridiculous prices for good weed around here.

What is the potential yield of two plants ScrOG'ed in that area (3.5 footprint 2 high)

I have been looking for a noob guide to SWC( Shallow Water Culture) But i have yet to find a detailed TEK. So the plants will be in soil unless one of you a link me to the afore mentioned guide haha

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #318743 - 11/19/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

unless you can get more than 2 vertical feet my predicted yield for that area is 0grams of dried marijuana. it's just seriously not feasible unless you're extremely extremely crafty.

--------------------

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

#318745 - 11/19/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Same idea used with PC/Speaker growboxes?? just on a larger scale with more CFL's haha

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #318810 - 11/19/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah man it's much better to have a narrow and tall space, rather than a wide and short... My box is 20" x 20" which isn't that large, but I have 30" of vertical space, plus my lights are mounted right at the top so I literally have all 30 of those inches to work with, minus the 7-8 inches for the pots and it's just right for the way i'm doing it.  I would recommend 3' minimum for someone who hasn't done this a few times before, as you will soon realize how cramped and out of space you are, which is a big problem.  You can only tie down so much!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: HPS or CFL? [Re: Inverted]
    #319328 - 11/20/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can try training the plants from seed into a shape similar to the cascade style of bonsai:

I have used fairly extreme training in all of my previous grows with pretty good results, I've managed to veg for longer, allowed a huge rootball to develop in a height challenged space.

My first plant i grew straight up but trained it to be short, and ended up with a plant that was 3 feet across and 18inches high (not including the pot.

The main thing is to start the training while the plant is young and easily bent, and go slowly, a little training every week is a lot better than a broken plant.

Also with an LED you can get amazingly close without burning, and you dont need a ton of wattage to get good results, and because you can get the luminous intensity up so high the node spacing can be as low as 1/8th inch.

I would suggest growing in a 1 gallon container, and training the plant to grow as low to the edge of the container as possible until it grows beyond the perimeter of the container...then start curving it down towards the floor of the grow area, and then a gentle curve that is right off the floor as the main stem grows toward the far end of the grow area.

Also...stretching in this situation would be almost unacceptable, I would recommend getting some bushmaster when its time to flower. I used it on my plants and it stops stretching completely. This allowed me to veg my plants until I was almost to the top of the grow tent and then flower when i had reached the height that I wanted, instead of guessing where the stretching would stop and flower while they are small.

Hope this helps, if you need more details, feel free to ask or :pm: me.

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds