Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

A few mother questions
    #293792 - 10/08/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm going to be starting some seedlings this weekend. I want to begin a perpetual grow cycle. I understand having a mother and taking clones is the best way to do that. So here are my questions:

1. Do mothers have a lot of odour?
2. Could I just sit the mother on an empty shelf with some CFLs and also allow indirect sunlight to hit her as well?
3. Can I take a clone from a plant that has shown sex?

I have a grow space for blooming with a 430W HPS. I'd like to use the whole space for blooming as its not very big. So my plan is to take a clone from a plant that has shown sex, use the clone as a mother and then take future clones from her. I dont really have a grow box or anything suitable for a grow box which is why I ask if I can keep her out in the open.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few mother questions [Re: smoked_out_haze]
    #293825 - 10/08/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

1. Depends on strain but in most cases no.

2. As long as it's over 18 hrs a day or enough to keep it from flowering.

3. That's what the whole point of taking clones is. (or a lot of the reason any way)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: A few mother questions [Re: Magash]
    #293838 - 10/08/09 08:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet. So I'll surround the mother with CFLs to ensure its getting 18 hours of light a day but keep it out in the open. Thats awesome.

I've heard its best to take clones from other vegging plants, so I just wasnt sure if its ok to take them from plants in the bloom phase. But thats awesome news! Now I can devote my entire 4x2x7 area to vegging and blooming which makes me very happy. I dont need a specific spot for my mother.

Has anyone vegged with an HPS? How were your results compared to MH or even floros? I'll probably end up doing that since its the only light I have and will be able to afford for a while :laugh:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few mother questions [Re: smoked_out_haze] * 1
    #293849 - 10/08/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well it's way better to take them when in the veg mode rather then flowering. They are going to start to revert (go back from flowering into veg mode) and that can take weeks in which the plants hardly grow.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #293851 - 10/08/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

whoa whoa whoa, a plant can show it's sex before it's been put into the flowering cycle.  While it is possible to clone a plant that's flowering, it's much better and less stressful to take them from a plant which is in a perpetual vegetative state.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Re: A few mother questions [Re: coda]
    #293853 - 10/08/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Is it easily identifiable for a noob such as myself? When flowering you look for the balls or pubes right? So how would one tell before flowering?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #293918 - 10/08/09 10:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the same way you do when you put it into flowering, you look for preflowers which form in the crux of your nodes once the plant is mature enough.  When you start to see your nodes alternating keep checking the nodes for the preflowers.

I can scrounge up a pic for you if you need.

--------------------

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#294383 - 10/09/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:I can scrounge up a pic for you if you need.

That'd be awesome. So lets say I veg these plants until they're 1.5 to 2 ft tall. Will this be mature enough to show sex?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #294541 - 10/09/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yah, they should have shown their sex before they hit 1 ft, but definitely after 1 ft.  Unless you have some super stretch going on, but most plants show their sex within 4-6 weeks of being put into the veg cycle depending on vigorously they grow.

see that white hair there?  That's what you're looking for.

--------------------

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#294592 - 10/09/09 05:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well thats fantastic news! Thanks for the pic thats awesome.

Now I'm really excited. I'm gonna start my seeds in some jiffy pucks on Monday. I'm pretty pumped :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies