Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepftek
Stranger

Getting an apartment what to look out for?
    #285193 - 09/23/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Signing 1-2 year lease. Getting an apartment what are things I should look out for? Need an attic? at least 1-2 br at least? Should I be on a certain floor? Or is it ridiculous thinking to get something in a congested city such as manhattan?

Total newb here.

Edited by pftek (09/23/09 01:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: pftek]
    #285201 - 09/23/09 01:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Wait, are you trying to grow in said apt. or just asking for general advice on apartments on a forum where most users live with their parents still? :smile:

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

Offlinepftek
Stranger

Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: beatyou]
    #285211 - 09/23/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

beatyou said:
Wait, are you trying to grow in said apt. or just asking for general advice on apartments on a forum where most users live with their parents still? :smile:

haha. yes grow in said apartment.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #285216 - 09/23/09 02:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

First and foremost get a place that isn't know for the landlord coming in often or maintenance being done a lot on the units.

Grow tents
The have everything to hang the lights, fans, places to run cords and hoses if needed. In other words you don't have to make holes in the walls of the rental just vent out a window (if your high enough up).

I'd think about at least a 1 bdrm. You can sleep in the living room like a studio but guests are gonna want to know what the tents are if they are seen. Then comes all the "I take my own pictures and develop the film" bullshit or whatever you gotta use.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: Magash]
    #285275 - 09/23/09 06:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I would think the higher up you are the better

but I think this actually could work out pretty well

it is a very tight city so even if people smell weed, what are they going to do, look up and see high rises and say its coming from floor 13 on that one ?

and as long as its all vented outside properly nobody in the building will suspect a thing

all you have to watch for is who you bring over and where you keep the grow tent (I would say bedroom, if you are going to have people in that room put some of those other "tent" style things they sell for dorms that you keep clothes in, say you just keep your shit in those till you can afford to get nicer furniture :smile:

(like these just get some to match the grow tent :p

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00QCstBJFzkPcmM/Pop-up-Storage-Bin-S-01-.jpg

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: Magash]
    #285309 - 09/23/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
First and foremost get a place that isn't know for the landlord coming in often or maintenance being done a lot on the units.

That's probably one of the most important things to be weary of or alert to.  I grow in my apartment and this is my biggest fear.  There are lots of reasons why they would want to enter.  Check up on your local tenants laws to see if they have a requirement on notification prior to enter.  I think some states require notice 24 hours in advance unless it's an emergency.  What kind of growing are you planning to do?  When I moved I was looking for a couple of things into my apartment.  I actually centered my search around paramaters I required for my grow and my work.  First one was proximity to work, I just like to be close to work so if my car gets fucked i can walk over there.  Second was a large walk in closet.  I knew before hand I would just grow in the closet rather than get a tent to grow in.  I don't like having those kinds of restrictions on my grows (even though im dealing with that shit now anyway).  The next thing to look at are the other tenants.  I picked a place with a bunch of old people.  I mean this place is a senior center!  It's great.  My neighbors are basically deaf.  Once you move in befriend your neighbors.  be someone they want to have around.  You might have to alter your personality a bit but just be friendly.  Say hello and smile at people.  Little things like that can enter into a suspicious mind and potentially help alleviate any suspicion toward you.  just a few thoughts.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinepftek
Stranger

Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #285394 - 09/23/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Quote:

Magash said:

That's probably one of the most important things to be weary of or alert to.  I grow in my apartment and this is my biggest fear.  There are lots of reasons why they would want to enter.  Check up on your local tenants laws to see if they have a requirement on notification prior to enter.  I think some states require notice 24 hours in advance unless it's an emergency.  What kind of growing are you planning to do?  When I moved I was looking for a couple of things into my apartment.  I actually centered my search around paramaters I required for my grow and my work.  First one was proximity to work, I just like to be close to work so if my car gets fucked i can walk over there.  Second was a large walk in closet.  I knew before hand I would just grow in the closet rather than get a tent to grow in.  I don't like having those kinds of restrictions on my grows (even though im dealing with that shit now anyway).  The next thing to look at are the other tenants.  I picked a place with a bunch of old people.  I mean this place is a senior center!  It's great.  My neighbors are basically deaf.  Once you move in befriend your neighbors.  be someone they want to have around.  You might have to alter your personality a bit but just be friendly.  Say hello and smile at people.  Little things like that can enter into a suspicious mind and potentially help alleviate any suspicion toward you.  just a few thoughts.

I'm going about the same thing. Looking for something close to work and also a place where I can grow. I need a good amount of space. I was thinking of dedicated the whole bedroom and just live in the living space - kind of like a studio. I would never have anyone over. even girls. but even if I did I'd just say I'm renting out the living room.

Like you, I'm also very worried about the super/landlord walking into my unit. He has already done it twice! But I was home both times and told him to give me 10 minutes to clean up. What if I weren't home? I currently have the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT BREAKER in my my bedroom. That means if his light goes out he has to come into my bedroom. I'm so fucking nervous when I'm not home. That is why I need a new place.

This time I can look out for specifics. But I don't know exactly what to look for since I've never done this before. You think a closet is suitable? Do you line it with something to contain the smell into the closet so it doesn't seep through the walls?

I'm going to get a dog. This way the super will know better than to enter my apartment. Get a rott or something. Also change the locks. I can't change the locks on my current place as my landlord lives right next to me. He'll notice.

How big of a bedroom or closet is necessary? My current thoughts are 50+ plants. 2-3 month cycles.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #285398 - 09/23/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Oh wow.  You might want to look into getting a house if you want to set up 50 plants perpetually.  You can do a sog with that many plants though.  Here's a floorplan I did on my closet only.  Yeah, that's also a really good point about the dog.  A dog could definitely help reduce chances of someone entering.  Always view the apartment before you sign a lease of course.  The way i have my place set up I have a door that separates the bedroom from the living area.  I have my bed and kitchen and everything else I need in my living room.  The bedroom has two rooms that come off it.  One is the closet below and the other is the bathroom.  Part of the year I just open the window and let that do the cooling.  Smell has never been a problem for me.  ALthough is something I am worried about now that im starting to flower a fairly vigorous strain.  There's a lot of ways to control the smell.  A lot of growers use carbon scrubbers to help this.  But in my situation I have the door that separates the living room from the bedroom closed 24/7.  There's a good 10-15 degrees cooler in the bedroom (it's 63.5F in there right now) but when the lights kick on (800w) it kicks the temps up high in the closet so I feel almost required to blow cooler air from the room into the closet.  Once you have a place picked out you can post some info here and we'll be happy to help. 

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinepftek
Stranger

Re: Getting an apartment what to look out for? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #285551 - 09/23/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Oh wow.  You might want to look into getting a house if you want to set up 50 plants perpetually.  You can do a sog with that many plants though.  Here's a floorplan I did on my closet only.  Yeah, that's also a really good point about the dog.  A dog could definitely help reduce chances of someone entering.  Always view the apartment before you sign a lease of course.  The way i have my place set up I have a door that separates the bedroom from the living area.  I have my bed and kitchen and everything else I need in my living room.  The bedroom has two rooms that come off it.  One is the closet below and the other is the bathroom.  Part of the year I just open the window and let that do the cooling.  Smell has never been a problem for me.  ALthough is something I am worried about now that im starting to flower a fairly vigorous strain.  There's a lot of ways to control the smell.  A lot of growers use carbon scrubbers to help this.  But in my situation I have the door that separates the living room from the bedroom closed 24/7.  There's a good 10-15 degrees cooler in the bedroom (it's 63.5F in there right now) but when the lights kick on (800w) it kicks the temps up high in the closet so I feel almost required to blow cooler air from the room into the closet.  Once you have a place picked out you can post some info here and we'll be happy to help. 

Wait, is that two closets? square feet of the place? How many plants did you fit in that area?

If I use a scrubber when the door is closed. what happens when I enter the closet to do work. Wouldn't the smell escape during that brief amount of time I go from bedroom to closet? Or negligible?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #285568 - 09/23/09 11:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know about the scrubber question.  I've never used one.  You can check out my grow long here.  It's got more pics and info about the area.  I don't know how many sq ft the whole place is.  Under 900 im sure. 

In that floor plan the pic on the right is the actual floor plan and the left picture is the left wall as you enter the closet.  There's a built in shelf that's been really nice.  I've got 7 plants growing in there now and they fill up the space.  I'm hoping to get anything more than 10 OZ's out of it all.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds