Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: captain.koons]
    #68851 - 06/30/08 04:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, a cool-tube is a vented reflector; it just isn't the only kind. Its basically just a tube the bulb goes in. :wink: Here's a picture of the basic idea, although I'm sure they must have them with better reflectors around the tube... :shrug:

There are other enclosed reflectors that you can hook ventilation up to. You'd need an extractor fan rated at least 126 cubic feet/minute for that room, to remove at least twice the volume of air in the room. A properly ventilated, enclosed reflector should help cut down the distance between the lamp and the canopy pretty well, and a fan blowing the air in the space between the canopy and light will help with that as well. 600 watts for that floor space would be excellent. I think the general idea is 2m2 floor space for a 600 watt HID light, but as long as heat isn't an issue from the smaller floor space, I'd have to think that it would be more ideal to use it with that much space, since the plants in that smaller space will yield more. I really don't know, though, at which point there would be too much light, which would cause bleaching of the leaves and other problems. Like I said before, I couldn't think it would really be a problem, but I'm hoping someone who knows more about that would chime in, because I have almost the same floor space as you are expecting and will have a 600 watt HPS as well. :lol:

Since odor control would be such a concern for you, I think it would be worth it to invest in another extractor fan with an additional carbon filter. It is possible that a carbon filter, especially after a couple months and towards the end of the flowering period, might let some of the smell through. Having two carbon filters would help with this, especially if you alternated their refilling/replacement so that by the time one of them gets closer to the point where its reaching its capacity for particle absorption, the other one is still optimum. The added benefit, of course, is that controlling temperature would be easier with more ventilation. Insulated ducting could be a good idea as well if the sounds of the fans in the ventilation ducts would raise the concern of others in the building. Anyways, anything to help security in such a situation as the one you'll have is worth it, imo. :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Sirius]
    #68852 - 06/30/08 04:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I had a huge air scrubber that I'm sure would have done the trick but I think either my brother or mother hucked it... It basically looks like junk and was sitting in the garage all winter.

I thought all cool tubes were just a glass sleeve or tube. haha

I went to some hydro shops today and a lot of them sell non digital ballasts, I'm not pleased :frown:

I'm going to try to source some good equipment online and try out more hydro shops.. I want to get top notch stuff.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68853 - 06/30/08 04:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'd definitely take a look to see what is available for you online. If you're in the EU, I know a great one. You'll probably get a better price along with the wider selection online, as well. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68854 - 06/30/08 05:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Going to buy my stuff out of British Columbia... Their hydro shops should be the most competitive with pricing.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleSRH
Male

#68885 - 06/30/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I was think of using 2 600w also.
But I plan on building a 3x3 or so grow room to conceal it.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: SRH]
    #68887 - 06/30/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'll probably just get one for now

I'm going to get a top of the line 600w setup which will cost $600 just for the ballast, bulb, and reflector.

If I decide to get a non DIY fan and canister filter (odor control and ventilation) will be another $400+.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: SRH]
    #68891 - 06/30/08 09:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SRH said:
I was think of using 2 600w also.
But I plan on building a 3x3 or so grow room to conceal it.

for 1200 watts i'd go with at least a 4x4 area, even in something that small you're going to need to condition the air to fight the temps.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: coda]
    #69214 - 07/01/08 01:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wouldn't shoving 1200 watts in a 3X3 or a 4X4 be more than necessary anyways, beyond the temperature concern?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69215 - 07/01/08 01:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

a 600w light is more than plenty for 1 meter squared in my opinion which is over 3x3.

600w lights will shine when spaced so there lighting areas overlap but spaced regardless.

id say a 6long 4wide floorspace for 2 x 600w.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69241 - 07/01/08 02:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Wouldn't shoving 1200 watts in a 3X3 or a 4X4 be more than necessary anyways, beyond the temperature concern?

in a 3x3 for sure.  In a 4x4, eh, you'd be ok.  I really wanted to emulate this one guys setup.  20 plant SOG grow in a 4x4 area under a 1k light.  He pulled between 2-3 pounds every two months.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69247 - 07/01/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Was this a hydro grow?

3 pounds is impressive for 1kw 2 is kind of the norm. SoG under 1kw you could go with like 36 plants.

I think my friend was telling me he got 580 grams under a 600w in 2months with Heavy Duty Fruity using something like 20-30 plants in a 3x3 area... planted not hydro.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69259 - 07/01/08 02:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

soil in one gallon pots.  Plants were vegged at most for a week after rooting.  I'm pretty sure he pulled 2 lbs more then 3, but he did mention grows exceeding 2 lbs.

Quote:

I think my friend was telling me he got 580 grams under a 600w in 2months with Heavy Duty Fruity

Neat, i grew HDF for a while when i started out.  It's definitely a nice smoke.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69263 - 07/01/08 02:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

the yield on that plant(hdf) in a SoG grow is insane.

optimal yield seems to be around 95% of your wattage with a SoG or SCRoG method

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69275 - 07/01/08 03:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
in a 3x3 for sure.  In a 4x4, eh, you'd be ok.  I really wanted to emulate this one guys setup.  20 plant SOG grow in a 4x4 area under a 1k light.  He pulled between 2-3 pounds every two months.

The reason I ask is because we'll have a 600 watt HPS in an area that's roughly 3 x 3 (its actually 1.27m x .85 m, like 4 ft x 2.7 ft). The understanding that I had was that this should be more than ample, that the general size for a 600 watt was 6 x 6, but I'm thinking about expanding the one side from 4 ft to 5ft 4 inches. The plants will be grown regularly with four gallon pots.... the 600 watt shouldn't be a limiting factor on their growth, should it? I'm thinking it'll be possible to get eight females in there when they are flowering... basically one plant for each 16 inch tile...

:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69277 - 07/01/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

they're talking about 2 x 600w in a 3x3 area.

3x3 is just under a meter squared... yours is about a meter squared... a 600w hps is standard for that area IMO.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69279 - 07/01/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I know they are talking about two, and him saying two 600 watts should be fine in a 4x4 would work is making me paranoid that one 600 watt in a roughly 3x5 would be insufficient. I'd just like to add two more plants to the 4x3 area basically, and am wondering if it isn't a good idea to do that, because I want the plants I do have to have optimum conditions. I just thought that the general idea for a 600 watt was 6x6, according to some guides I came across....

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69280 - 07/01/08 03:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

4x4 for 2 is what coda suggests as the minimal.

for 2 id suggest a 6long 4 wide.

a 3x5 would probably be good dimensions for a single 600w.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69281 - 07/01/08 03:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

optimal yield seems to be around 95% of your wattage with a SoG or SCRoG method

maybe with a fuck ton of plants, i was never able to pull more then two oz's per plant using a 400 watter with HDF. 2 oz's was also a solid harvest per plant as well, i usually averaged around 1 oz per plant.

Quote:

the 600 watt shouldn't be a limiting factor on their growth, should it?

3x3 area = 9 sq ft

600 watts / 9 sq ft = 66.6 watts per sq ft

considering 50 watts per sq foot is the optimal standard i'd say a 600 watt light is more then adequate for your room.  The cultivator i'm referencing used a 1k light in 16 sq ft and pulled 62 watts/sq ft.  Your biggest concern with high wattage lamps in confined spaces is heat.  Again, the grower i'm referencing installed a window air unit in his grow area to keep temps in the low 70's using a 256 cfm 6" fan for exhaust.

So, if i were you, i'd do a couple of dry runs with your room before you threw plants in there.  If you're keeping the lights on at night, test the area at night.  If you have a wireless thermometer that records high and low temps, set the remote in the room on the floor and let it go for a night.  If you want to be anal about it you can see how long it takes your room to heat up to it's max temp, but it's unnecessary.  The next thing i would do is to set the remote at the height (or just buy two remotes and do the test at the same time) you want your tops to reach.  This way you can get a good idea of how hot this area of your grow room gets.  Once you start filling in plants the bottom of the room will remain cooler then the tips of your plants because of the shade produced by the fan leaves.  However, it still gives you a great baseline reading of the temps in your tent.  If you know the bottom of your tent is too hot, you already know the upper levels of your room will be hotter.

Keep the temps in check, give em plenty of air to breathe, and make sure they don't dry out on ya too quickly.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69285 - 07/01/08 04:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

maybe with a fuck ton of plants, i was never able to pull more then two oz's per plant using a 400 watter with HDF. 2 oz's was also a solid harvest per plant as well, i usually averaged around 1 oz per plant.

how many plants under a 400watt?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69287 - 07/01/08 04:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i usually flowered between 5-7 plants using the 400 watter.  Actually, it's a 430, but who's counting :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck