Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
growing in an apartment
    #66262 - 06/25/08 11:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

who does it?

how many lights do you have and what are their wattages?

I'm strongly considering growing with 2 x 600w when I move into a 2bdrm apartment.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: captain.koons]
    #66325 - 06/26/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

apartments are so iffy compared to houses.

--------------------

OfflineMad Hatter
Slum Lord
Male

Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #66326 - 06/26/08 01:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Get yourself a hydrohut for the smell or u will be getting teh bust

--------------------
Isn't life a trip?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Mad Hatter]
    #66335 - 06/26/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have a scrubber.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #66355 - 06/26/08 04:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It'd definitely be more risky than if you had or were renting your own house. You'd need to invest in security a lot more since there are increased risks. Ultimately it would depend on your specific situation and what kind of potential there is for other people to come into your house on a regular basis. There isn't a risk if there isn't a risk, but there is if there is. :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Mad Hatter]
    #66386 - 06/26/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Hatter said:
Get yourself a hydrohut for the smell or u will be getting teh bust

actually that's bad advice right now.  Hydrohut, and some other tent manufacturers, have had a problem with the tent canvas.  The material used to create the tent was flawed somehow and it releases a gas which is death to your plants.  They've issued a major recall for all of their products, but right now claim to have no good tents available.  Be careful when purchasing grow tents!

koons - I grew in an apartment for two years with a 430 watt light for the the most part.  The last grow i did there i used my current 600 watt light.  The main issue with apt growing is security.  Since you don't own your landlord, and staff, can pretty much enter your place whenever.  They do reserve the right to inspect your apt for illegal activity if they so choose.  They also have the right to come in and do maintenance work when they deem it necessary.  So, in order to be really secure you're going to have to hide it in a closet.  Otherwise you;ll just be playing a risk game with your landlord.

The other big problem is ventilation.  Unless you want to pay for damages, or are a dry waller, it's going to be difficult venting out your lights.  With 1200 watts you're going to need a place to put all of that hot air.  You can't really vent through your apts HVAC system either.  You risk the chance of smells leaking into other apartments.  This was a major issue i faced, the only way to keep my grow room cool was by running my central air almost non stop.  You can purchase a window unit to help cool the room if you can afford it, but in the end you're still going to need a place for your hot air to go to.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: coda]
    #66524 - 06/26/08 12:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I figured ventalation would be the biggest problem I was thinking of scrubbing the hot air before pumping it into the community ac vents.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #66543 - 06/26/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Running it back into the A/C vents would be a great idea. Of course, realizing that security is of utmost importance, you should probably plan on replacing the carbon in the filter or the filter itself more frequently. I'd check every couple days, and more than that when flowering, just to make sure there's no smell. The rest would all depend on what kind of apartment place you find and whether or not they are going to be Nazis. The good places would give you notice before coming in to check anything, unless it was an emergency. Anything less than that standard and I personally wouldn't feel secure in growing there. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Sirius]
    #66565 - 06/26/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yah, if you do decide to be ballsy and vent into the venting system you need to be damn sure there's no smell.  My last grow i vented the air that way.  During the night when the lights were on the smell was noticeable in the room next door.  It never filtered into the house so i didn't mind, especially because the other room was mine :wink:, but there's a distinct chance your vented air can end up in your neighbors room.

Careful man, if you're going to be moving into this place i'd suggest not growing for a month or two and see if anyone drops in on you.  My first ever apt had the maintenance guy dropping in every month to replace air filters.  Also, like sirius said, if possible ask your landlord to notify you before visits.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: coda]
    #66598 - 06/26/08 01:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it's a shame you kinda need to move in before you can learn these kind of things... :frown:

ex. venting, neighbors, drop ins

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #66773 - 06/26/08 02:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, concerning the most important factor, you could ask before you move in. While you're touring the place and discussing matters with them, simply say you've had a bad experience before where the landlords were trying to come into the place every week, and ask them what their approach/policy is to all of that. I guess you still couldn't know for sure, but I think a lot of places have a book of their policies and everything, so maybe if they did they could be held to it... :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #66780 - 06/26/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yeah that`s possible with huge apartments.

places with like 2-4 floors and and like 16-30 suites don`t really give a fuck.

im probably going to look into moving into a huge ass apartment though I like being many many floors up.

it would suck also if the closet had maintance shit in it. cuz I mean your bedroom closet you probably want for clothe...

one of my friends who rented a house threw all his plants into cardboard boxes and stacked them in the basement to hide them as if it was shit from when he moved in. that`s pretty slick ye :o

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67288 - 06/27/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

on the issue of venting.

using a scrubber decent can't I just make it's exhaust going into community ventalation?

my old scrubber was vented with my reflectors I also like to build things way over the top I'd have enough charcoal to last the full grow at least.

hmmmhmmmhmmm

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #67297 - 06/27/08 04:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
using a scrubber decent can't I just make it's exhaust going into community ventalation?

As long as there is no smell, then there couldn't be any way that it would be a problem. You just need to keep yourself on guard regarding that as much as possible, check the smell twice a day if you have to, because its the biggest risk you'd be running. Even if the person who smells it in the next apartment doesn't recognize it as pot, it'd still be a strange odor coming from their vents that would probably bring an inspection for its source. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67299 - 06/27/08 04:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

everyone notices the smell of pot too :'(

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68839 - 06/30/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is kinda retarded but I'm going to buy some equipment before I find my place.

I'm feeling a 600w hps but some people say to me that a 400w with a argo bulb (430watt) will probably be the best bang for the buck and easier to manage.

I've only ever grown in an open space and a super mini grow in my iquanas terrarium while I was young. I don't think that using a 600w in a closet would be too much, any non shit hole apartment should have a closet over 7 feet tall and with a floor space of at least a meter squared.

Should I get a 400 watt ballast with a 430 watt argo bulb or should I go with a 600 watt ballast?

I've also heard that a reflector may be a potential fire hazard for a closet grow. I don't believe this would be a problem but I figured I should bring it up anyways :smile:

P.S. I saw the bucket list tonight and cried .

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68843 - 06/30/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'd recommend the 600 watt. A 600 watt ballast is the most watt to lumen efficient out of the HPS ballasts. Not sure why you were told that the 400 watt would be the best bang for your buck. :shrug: A 600 watt HPS should only use around $30 of electricity every month while left on 24/7, so its not like running it is too expensive or anything (not sure what the general difference in energy consumption is between the two off hand). The more light the more yield anyways, as long as it isn't enough light that the plants start bleaching or anything (shouldn't be a problem I don't think). I'd recommend getting a cool-tube reflector for it, with appropriate ventilation of course, to help with heat from the lamp.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68844 - 06/30/08 03:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking of a vented reflector

a cool tube would probably be the best for my situation?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68846 - 06/30/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, any kind of enclosed reflector that you can hook up an exhaust fan to would be great. Cool-tubes are just cool. :grin: I'm not sure how much space you'll have but pulling as much heat from the lamp before it gets to the plants is a good idea regardless, I'm sure. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68847 - 06/30/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

vented reflector > cool tube??

I'm assuming the closet will not be spacious but large enough to manage.

let's pretend 1m2 floor space 7 foot clearance?

I'd like to have my light as cool as possible because I believe my plants will possibly be closer than 20" even with a SOG/SCROG grow.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds