Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
growing in an apartment
    #66262 - 06/25/08 11:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

who does it?

how many lights do you have and what are their wattages?

I'm strongly considering growing with 2 x 600w when I move into a 2bdrm apartment.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: captain.koons]
    #66325 - 06/26/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

apartments are so iffy compared to houses.

--------------------

OfflineMad Hatter
Slum Lord
Male

Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #66326 - 06/26/08 01:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Get yourself a hydrohut for the smell or u will be getting teh bust

--------------------
Isn't life a trip?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Mad Hatter]
    #66335 - 06/26/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have a scrubber.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #66355 - 06/26/08 04:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It'd definitely be more risky than if you had or were renting your own house. You'd need to invest in security a lot more since there are increased risks. Ultimately it would depend on your specific situation and what kind of potential there is for other people to come into your house on a regular basis. There isn't a risk if there isn't a risk, but there is if there is. :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #66386 - 06/26/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Hatter said:
Get yourself a hydrohut for the smell or u will be getting teh bust

actually that's bad advice right now.  Hydrohut, and some other tent manufacturers, have had a problem with the tent canvas.  The material used to create the tent was flawed somehow and it releases a gas which is death to your plants.  They've issued a major recall for all of their products, but right now claim to have no good tents available.  Be careful when purchasing grow tents!

koons - I grew in an apartment for two years with a 430 watt light for the the most part.  The last grow i did there i used my current 600 watt light.  The main issue with apt growing is security.  Since you don't own your landlord, and staff, can pretty much enter your place whenever.  They do reserve the right to inspect your apt for illegal activity if they so choose.  They also have the right to come in and do maintenance work when they deem it necessary.  So, in order to be really secure you're going to have to hide it in a closet.  Otherwise you;ll just be playing a risk game with your landlord.

The other big problem is ventilation.  Unless you want to pay for damages, or are a dry waller, it's going to be difficult venting out your lights.  With 1200 watts you're going to need a place to put all of that hot air.  You can't really vent through your apts HVAC system either.  You risk the chance of smells leaking into other apartments.  This was a major issue i faced, the only way to keep my grow room cool was by running my central air almost non stop.  You can purchase a window unit to help cool the room if you can afford it, but in the end you're still going to need a place for your hot air to go to.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: coda]
    #66524 - 06/26/08 12:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I figured ventalation would be the biggest problem I was thinking of scrubbing the hot air before pumping it into the community ac vents.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #66543 - 06/26/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Running it back into the A/C vents would be a great idea. Of course, realizing that security is of utmost importance, you should probably plan on replacing the carbon in the filter or the filter itself more frequently. I'd check every couple days, and more than that when flowering, just to make sure there's no smell. The rest would all depend on what kind of apartment place you find and whether or not they are going to be Nazis. The good places would give you notice before coming in to check anything, unless it was an emergency. Anything less than that standard and I personally wouldn't feel secure in growing there. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Sirius]
    #66565 - 06/26/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yah, if you do decide to be ballsy and vent into the venting system you need to be damn sure there's no smell.  My last grow i vented the air that way.  During the night when the lights were on the smell was noticeable in the room next door.  It never filtered into the house so i didn't mind, especially because the other room was mine :wink:, but there's a distinct chance your vented air can end up in your neighbors room.

Careful man, if you're going to be moving into this place i'd suggest not growing for a month or two and see if anyone drops in on you.  My first ever apt had the maintenance guy dropping in every month to replace air filters.  Also, like sirius said, if possible ask your landlord to notify you before visits.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #66598 - 06/26/08 01:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it's a shame you kinda need to move in before you can learn these kind of things... :frown:

ex. venting, neighbors, drop ins

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #66773 - 06/26/08 02:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, concerning the most important factor, you could ask before you move in. While you're touring the place and discussing matters with them, simply say you've had a bad experience before where the landlords were trying to come into the place every week, and ask them what their approach/policy is to all of that. I guess you still couldn't know for sure, but I think a lot of places have a book of their policies and everything, so maybe if they did they could be held to it... :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #66780 - 06/26/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yeah that`s possible with huge apartments.

places with like 2-4 floors and and like 16-30 suites don`t really give a fuck.

im probably going to look into moving into a huge ass apartment though I like being many many floors up.

it would suck also if the closet had maintance shit in it. cuz I mean your bedroom closet you probably want for clothe...

one of my friends who rented a house threw all his plants into cardboard boxes and stacked them in the basement to hide them as if it was shit from when he moved in. that`s pretty slick ye :o

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67288 - 06/27/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

on the issue of venting.

using a scrubber decent can't I just make it's exhaust going into community ventalation?

my old scrubber was vented with my reflectors I also like to build things way over the top I'd have enough charcoal to last the full grow at least.

hmmmhmmmhmmm

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #67297 - 06/27/08 04:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
using a scrubber decent can't I just make it's exhaust going into community ventalation?

As long as there is no smell, then there couldn't be any way that it would be a problem. You just need to keep yourself on guard regarding that as much as possible, check the smell twice a day if you have to, because its the biggest risk you'd be running. Even if the person who smells it in the next apartment doesn't recognize it as pot, it'd still be a strange odor coming from their vents that would probably bring an inspection for its source. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67299 - 06/27/08 04:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

everyone notices the smell of pot too :'(

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68839 - 06/30/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is kinda retarded but I'm going to buy some equipment before I find my place.

I'm feeling a 600w hps but some people say to me that a 400w with a argo bulb (430watt) will probably be the best bang for the buck and easier to manage.

I've only ever grown in an open space and a super mini grow in my iquanas terrarium while I was young. I don't think that using a 600w in a closet would be too much, any non shit hole apartment should have a closet over 7 feet tall and with a floor space of at least a meter squared.

Should I get a 400 watt ballast with a 430 watt argo bulb or should I go with a 600 watt ballast?

I've also heard that a reflector may be a potential fire hazard for a closet grow. I don't believe this would be a problem but I figured I should bring it up anyways :smile:

P.S. I saw the bucket list tonight and cried .

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68843 - 06/30/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'd recommend the 600 watt. A 600 watt ballast is the most watt to lumen efficient out of the HPS ballasts. Not sure why you were told that the 400 watt would be the best bang for your buck. :shrug: A 600 watt HPS should only use around $30 of electricity every month while left on 24/7, so its not like running it is too expensive or anything (not sure what the general difference in energy consumption is between the two off hand). The more light the more yield anyways, as long as it isn't enough light that the plants start bleaching or anything (shouldn't be a problem I don't think). I'd recommend getting a cool-tube reflector for it, with appropriate ventilation of course, to help with heat from the lamp.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68844 - 06/30/08 03:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking of a vented reflector

a cool tube would probably be the best for my situation?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68846 - 06/30/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, any kind of enclosed reflector that you can hook up an exhaust fan to would be great. Cool-tubes are just cool. :grin: I'm not sure how much space you'll have but pulling as much heat from the lamp before it gets to the plants is a good idea regardless, I'm sure. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68847 - 06/30/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

vented reflector > cool tube??

I'm assuming the closet will not be spacious but large enough to manage.

let's pretend 1m2 floor space 7 foot clearance?

I'd like to have my light as cool as possible because I believe my plants will possibly be closer than 20" even with a SOG/SCROG grow.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68851 - 06/30/08 04:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, a cool-tube is a vented reflector; it just isn't the only kind. Its basically just a tube the bulb goes in. :wink: Here's a picture of the basic idea, although I'm sure they must have them with better reflectors around the tube... :shrug:

There are other enclosed reflectors that you can hook ventilation up to. You'd need an extractor fan rated at least 126 cubic feet/minute for that room, to remove at least twice the volume of air in the room. A properly ventilated, enclosed reflector should help cut down the distance between the lamp and the canopy pretty well, and a fan blowing the air in the space between the canopy and light will help with that as well. 600 watts for that floor space would be excellent. I think the general idea is 2m2 floor space for a 600 watt HID light, but as long as heat isn't an issue from the smaller floor space, I'd have to think that it would be more ideal to use it with that much space, since the plants in that smaller space will yield more. I really don't know, though, at which point there would be too much light, which would cause bleaching of the leaves and other problems. Like I said before, I couldn't think it would really be a problem, but I'm hoping someone who knows more about that would chime in, because I have almost the same floor space as you are expecting and will have a 600 watt HPS as well. :lol:

Since odor control would be such a concern for you, I think it would be worth it to invest in another extractor fan with an additional carbon filter. It is possible that a carbon filter, especially after a couple months and towards the end of the flowering period, might let some of the smell through. Having two carbon filters would help with this, especially if you alternated their refilling/replacement so that by the time one of them gets closer to the point where its reaching its capacity for particle absorption, the other one is still optimum. The added benefit, of course, is that controlling temperature would be easier with more ventilation. Insulated ducting could be a good idea as well if the sounds of the fans in the ventilation ducts would raise the concern of others in the building. Anyways, anything to help security in such a situation as the one you'll have is worth it, imo. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68852 - 06/30/08 04:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I had a huge air scrubber that I'm sure would have done the trick but I think either my brother or mother hucked it... It basically looks like junk and was sitting in the garage all winter.

I thought all cool tubes were just a glass sleeve or tube. haha

I went to some hydro shops today and a lot of them sell non digital ballasts, I'm not pleased :frown:

I'm going to try to source some good equipment online and try out more hydro shops.. I want to get top notch stuff.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68853 - 06/30/08 04:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'd definitely take a look to see what is available for you online. If you're in the EU, I know a great one. You'll probably get a better price along with the wider selection online, as well. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68854 - 06/30/08 05:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Going to buy my stuff out of British Columbia... Their hydro shops should be the most competitive with pricing.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleSRH
Male

#68885 - 06/30/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I was think of using 2 600w also.
But I plan on building a 3x3 or so grow room to conceal it.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: SRH]
    #68887 - 06/30/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'll probably just get one for now

I'm going to get a top of the line 600w setup which will cost $600 just for the ballast, bulb, and reflector.

If I decide to get a non DIY fan and canister filter (odor control and ventilation) will be another $400+.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: SRH]
    #68891 - 06/30/08 09:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SRH said:
I was think of using 2 600w also.
But I plan on building a 3x3 or so grow room to conceal it.

for 1200 watts i'd go with at least a 4x4 area, even in something that small you're going to need to condition the air to fight the temps.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69214 - 07/01/08 01:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wouldn't shoving 1200 watts in a 3X3 or a 4X4 be more than necessary anyways, beyond the temperature concern?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69215 - 07/01/08 01:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

a 600w light is more than plenty for 1 meter squared in my opinion which is over 3x3.

600w lights will shine when spaced so there lighting areas overlap but spaced regardless.

id say a 6long 4wide floorspace for 2 x 600w.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69241 - 07/01/08 02:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Wouldn't shoving 1200 watts in a 3X3 or a 4X4 be more than necessary anyways, beyond the temperature concern?

in a 3x3 for sure.  In a 4x4, eh, you'd be ok.  I really wanted to emulate this one guys setup.  20 plant SOG grow in a 4x4 area under a 1k light.  He pulled between 2-3 pounds every two months.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69247 - 07/01/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Was this a hydro grow?

3 pounds is impressive for 1kw 2 is kind of the norm. SoG under 1kw you could go with like 36 plants.

I think my friend was telling me he got 580 grams under a 600w in 2months with Heavy Duty Fruity using something like 20-30 plants in a 3x3 area... planted not hydro.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69259 - 07/01/08 02:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

soil in one gallon pots.  Plants were vegged at most for a week after rooting.  I'm pretty sure he pulled 2 lbs more then 3, but he did mention grows exceeding 2 lbs.

Quote:

I think my friend was telling me he got 580 grams under a 600w in 2months with Heavy Duty Fruity

Neat, i grew HDF for a while when i started out.  It's definitely a nice smoke.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69263 - 07/01/08 02:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

the yield on that plant(hdf) in a SoG grow is insane.

optimal yield seems to be around 95% of your wattage with a SoG or SCRoG method

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69275 - 07/01/08 03:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
in a 3x3 for sure.  In a 4x4, eh, you'd be ok.  I really wanted to emulate this one guys setup.  20 plant SOG grow in a 4x4 area under a 1k light.  He pulled between 2-3 pounds every two months.

The reason I ask is because we'll have a 600 watt HPS in an area that's roughly 3 x 3 (its actually 1.27m x .85 m, like 4 ft x 2.7 ft). The understanding that I had was that this should be more than ample, that the general size for a 600 watt was 6 x 6, but I'm thinking about expanding the one side from 4 ft to 5ft 4 inches. The plants will be grown regularly with four gallon pots.... the 600 watt shouldn't be a limiting factor on their growth, should it? I'm thinking it'll be possible to get eight females in there when they are flowering... basically one plant for each 16 inch tile...

:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69277 - 07/01/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

they're talking about 2 x 600w in a 3x3 area.

3x3 is just under a meter squared... yours is about a meter squared... a 600w hps is standard for that area IMO.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69279 - 07/01/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I know they are talking about two, and him saying two 600 watts should be fine in a 4x4 would work is making me paranoid that one 600 watt in a roughly 3x5 would be insufficient. I'd just like to add two more plants to the 4x3 area basically, and am wondering if it isn't a good idea to do that, because I want the plants I do have to have optimum conditions. I just thought that the general idea for a 600 watt was 6x6, according to some guides I came across....

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69280 - 07/01/08 03:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

4x4 for 2 is what coda suggests as the minimal.

for 2 id suggest a 6long 4 wide.

a 3x5 would probably be good dimensions for a single 600w.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69281 - 07/01/08 03:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

optimal yield seems to be around 95% of your wattage with a SoG or SCRoG method

maybe with a fuck ton of plants, i was never able to pull more then two oz's per plant using a 400 watter with HDF. 2 oz's was also a solid harvest per plant as well, i usually averaged around 1 oz per plant.

Quote:

the 600 watt shouldn't be a limiting factor on their growth, should it?

3x3 area = 9 sq ft

600 watts / 9 sq ft = 66.6 watts per sq ft

considering 50 watts per sq foot is the optimal standard i'd say a 600 watt light is more then adequate for your room.  The cultivator i'm referencing used a 1k light in 16 sq ft and pulled 62 watts/sq ft.  Your biggest concern with high wattage lamps in confined spaces is heat.  Again, the grower i'm referencing installed a window air unit in his grow area to keep temps in the low 70's using a 256 cfm 6" fan for exhaust.

So, if i were you, i'd do a couple of dry runs with your room before you threw plants in there.  If you're keeping the lights on at night, test the area at night.  If you have a wireless thermometer that records high and low temps, set the remote in the room on the floor and let it go for a night.  If you want to be anal about it you can see how long it takes your room to heat up to it's max temp, but it's unnecessary.  The next thing i would do is to set the remote at the height (or just buy two remotes and do the test at the same time) you want your tops to reach.  This way you can get a good idea of how hot this area of your grow room gets.  Once you start filling in plants the bottom of the room will remain cooler then the tips of your plants because of the shade produced by the fan leaves.  However, it still gives you a great baseline reading of the temps in your tent.  If you know the bottom of your tent is too hot, you already know the upper levels of your room will be hotter.

Keep the temps in check, give em plenty of air to breathe, and make sure they don't dry out on ya too quickly.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69285 - 07/01/08 04:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

maybe with a fuck ton of plants, i was never able to pull more then two oz's per plant using a 400 watter with HDF. 2 oz's was also a solid harvest per plant as well, i usually averaged around 1 oz per plant.

how many plants under a 400watt?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69287 - 07/01/08 04:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i usually flowered between 5-7 plants using the 400 watter.  Actually, it's a 430, but who's counting :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69288 - 07/01/08 04:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

14 oz * 28 grams = 392 grams which is over 95%

that's assuming you get 2oz per plant at 7 plants though :P

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #69291 - 07/01/08 04:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

out of the three grows i did with HDF i think 2-3 plants pulled in 2 oz's a piece.  Like i said i mainly saw around an oz per plant (which i was pretty happy with).

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69293 - 07/01/08 04:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

then your down to 50%. :P

breeder note = 20-30 plants per m2 = optimal.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #69824 - 07/02/08 02:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
3x3 area = 9 sq ft

600 watts / 9 sq ft = 66.6 watts per sq ft

considering 50 watts per sq foot is the optimal standard i'd say a 600 watt light is more then adequate for your room

So 50 watts is the optimal standard whereas something more like 20 watts is the minimum, correct?

Anyways, my space as it stands now is 4x3, so that puts me at the optimum standard near exactly (it isn't quite 3ft :grin:). I think I'll go ahead and make the adjustment so I have that additional 16'' section, and just plan on placing my two Arjan's Haze #3 over there, since they'll be growing taller than the other plants will... a little less than the optimum standard I think but it should work out fine, especially since it helps accomodate the amount of the different strains we'll be running...

Quote:

Your biggest concern with high wattage lamps in confined spaces is heat.  Again, the grower i'm referencing installed a window air unit in his grow area to keep temps in the low 70's using a 256 cfm 6" fan for exhaust.

The height of the room is 9 ft so that should really help with the heat thing, and the 600 watt will be inside an air-cooled cool-tube. I think these things should help limit any heat being produced by the lamp itself. The standard of 30-35 degree celsius heat (riding up on 100 fahrenheit) outside might pose an obstacle that will need addressed, however. :mad:

Quote:

So, if i were you, i'd do a couple of dry runs with your room before you threw plants in there.  If you're keeping the lights on at night, test the area at night.  If you have a wireless thermometer that records high and low temps, set the remote in the room on the floor and let it go for a night.  If you want to be anal about it you can see how long it takes your room to heat up to it's max temp, but it's unnecessary.  The next thing i would do is to set the remote at the height (or just buy two remotes and do the test at the same time) you want your tops to reach.  This way you can get a good idea of how hot this area of your grow room gets.  Once you start filling in plants the bottom of the room will remain cooler then the tips of your plants because of the shade produced by the fan leaves.  However, it still gives you a great baseline reading of the temps in your tent.  If you know the bottom of your tent is too hot, you already know the upper levels of your room will be hotter.

Yep, this is the plan. :thumbup: I'll have a digital, min/max temperature/humidity device so it'll make it easier to figure all of that out. I'd really love to know what the base temperature is in there now without anything running, but I just have to wait on a fucked up situation with shipping before I'll be able to tell.

--------------------

Offlinetesla
    #69923 - 07/02/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey dude, if you are planning on getting an apartment to grow in follow these rules, never had a problem:

1) Newer apartments have features which make it easier to service without the landlord having to rummage through your room.  Look for a newer apartment or townhouse with the waterheater/ac/breakers in one closet, also make sure that upstairs the vents come in from the floor, which allows you to vent into the attic without anyone looking up there.

2) put a lock on the bedroom and a lock on the closet, vent air intake through the AC if you can, that way you can seal off the closet. (won't work if you have central heating in the winter)

3) dont smoke in the apartment, or atleast not near the door where the smell can get you knock and talked.

Pay your rent on time, dont tell anyone, don't complain about anything they might want to come in fix and don't worry about shit!

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: tesla]
    #69987 - 07/02/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tesla said:
Hey dude, if you are planning on getting an apartment to grow in follow these rules, never had a problem:

1) Newer apartments have features which make it easier to service without the landlord having to rummage through your room.  Look for a newer apartment or townhouse with the waterheater/ac/breakers in one closet, also make sure that upstairs the vents come in from the floor, which allows you to vent into the attic without anyone looking up there.

2) put a lock on the bedroom and a lock on the closet, vent air intake through the AC if you can, that way you can seal off the closet. (won't work if you have central heating in the winter)

3) dont smoke in the apartment, or atleast not near the door where the smell can get you knock and talked.

Pay your rent on time, dont tell anyone, don't complain about anything they might want to come in fix and don't worry about shit!

Good advice.:thumbup:

--------------------
Fighting Terrorism One Seed At A Time
Big Bang, Arjan's Haze #3 Growlog
My First Grow(Complete)
Never let school get in the way of your education.-Mark Twain

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Uns4ne]
    #71350 - 07/03/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

for those of us who only have an in-the-wall AC unit, and are on the bottom floor, where do you vent your air to?  i'm still working with one very small plant so i'm not concerned yet, but are carbon scrubbers the only option?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: yellownotepad]
    #71383 - 07/03/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

they're the most effective option.  You can always vent the hot air into another room of your house using flexible ducting.  Does fuck all for security, but at least your room will be cool.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #71384 - 07/03/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is also assuming you dont want to cut 6 inch holes in your walls.  If you don't mind doing that, that's an option as well.

--------------------

OfflineHippyInASuit
Weed Farmer

#71411 - 07/03/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Apartment growing can be difficult.  Hopefully you've been there a year already to know what their maintenance schedule is like.  Change the knobs and put locks on your closet and bedroom door.  You can get knobs with locks at any hardware store.

400w will work for sure.  A small ozone generator can help fight the smell.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: HippyInASuit]
    #71413 - 07/03/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im going with at least 600w and I'll probably set up nearly as soon as I get there..

I plan to get a newer apartment so maintaince isn't a big issue.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineHippyInASuit
Weed Farmer

#71415 - 07/03/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good.  Don't tell ANYONE who isn't a close personal friend and grower themselves.  Good luck and have fun!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: HippyInASuit]
    #71423 - 07/03/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not telling anyone period.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineMad Hatter
Slum Lord
Male

#71427 - 07/03/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't tell anyone most likely you could grow hundreds of plants and never get caught (in a house that is) but unfortunatly 99% of the people who say they will never tell one day will tell some guy or girl to show off and then that person tells 2 other ppl and they tell 2 other ppl and then some ppl break in and try to steal everything and the cops come :frown: True story

--------------------
Isn't life a trip?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #71430 - 07/03/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My last grew one person knew about and she's my best friend.

I'd tell her where I bury dead bodies. She's so down.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder