Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: coda]
    #69288 - 07/01/08 04:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

14 oz * 28 grams = 392 grams which is over 95%

that's assuming you get 2oz per plant at 7 plants though :P

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: captain.koons]
    #69291 - 07/01/08 04:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

out of the three grows i did with HDF i think 2-3 plants pulled in 2 oz's a piece.  Like i said i mainly saw around an oz per plant (which i was pretty happy with).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #69293 - 07/01/08 04:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

then your down to 50%. :P

breeder note = 20-30 plants per m2 = optimal.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #69824 - 07/02/08 02:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
3x3 area = 9 sq ft

600 watts / 9 sq ft = 66.6 watts per sq ft

considering 50 watts per sq foot is the optimal standard i'd say a 600 watt light is more then adequate for your room

So 50 watts is the optimal standard whereas something more like 20 watts is the minimum, correct?

Anyways, my space as it stands now is 4x3, so that puts me at the optimum standard near exactly (it isn't quite 3ft :grin:). I think I'll go ahead and make the adjustment so I have that additional 16'' section, and just plan on placing my two Arjan's Haze #3 over there, since they'll be growing taller than the other plants will... a little less than the optimum standard I think but it should work out fine, especially since it helps accomodate the amount of the different strains we'll be running...

Quote:

Your biggest concern with high wattage lamps in confined spaces is heat.  Again, the grower i'm referencing installed a window air unit in his grow area to keep temps in the low 70's using a 256 cfm 6" fan for exhaust.

The height of the room is 9 ft so that should really help with the heat thing, and the 600 watt will be inside an air-cooled cool-tube. I think these things should help limit any heat being produced by the lamp itself. The standard of 30-35 degree celsius heat (riding up on 100 fahrenheit) outside might pose an obstacle that will need addressed, however. :mad:

Quote:

So, if i were you, i'd do a couple of dry runs with your room before you threw plants in there.  If you're keeping the lights on at night, test the area at night.  If you have a wireless thermometer that records high and low temps, set the remote in the room on the floor and let it go for a night.  If you want to be anal about it you can see how long it takes your room to heat up to it's max temp, but it's unnecessary.  The next thing i would do is to set the remote at the height (or just buy two remotes and do the test at the same time) you want your tops to reach.  This way you can get a good idea of how hot this area of your grow room gets.  Once you start filling in plants the bottom of the room will remain cooler then the tips of your plants because of the shade produced by the fan leaves.  However, it still gives you a great baseline reading of the temps in your tent.  If you know the bottom of your tent is too hot, you already know the upper levels of your room will be hotter.

Yep, this is the plan. :thumbup: I'll have a digital, min/max temperature/humidity device so it'll make it easier to figure all of that out. I'd really love to know what the base temperature is in there now without anything running, but I just have to wait on a fucked up situation with shipping before I'll be able to tell.

--------------------

Offlinetesla
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Sirius]
    #69923 - 07/02/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey dude, if you are planning on getting an apartment to grow in follow these rules, never had a problem:

1) Newer apartments have features which make it easier to service without the landlord having to rummage through your room.  Look for a newer apartment or townhouse with the waterheater/ac/breakers in one closet, also make sure that upstairs the vents come in from the floor, which allows you to vent into the attic without anyone looking up there.

2) put a lock on the bedroom and a lock on the closet, vent air intake through the AC if you can, that way you can seal off the closet. (won't work if you have central heating in the winter)

3) dont smoke in the apartment, or atleast not near the door where the smell can get you knock and talked.

Pay your rent on time, dont tell anyone, don't complain about anything they might want to come in fix and don't worry about shit!

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: tesla]
    #69987 - 07/02/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tesla said:
Hey dude, if you are planning on getting an apartment to grow in follow these rules, never had a problem:

1) Newer apartments have features which make it easier to service without the landlord having to rummage through your room.  Look for a newer apartment or townhouse with the waterheater/ac/breakers in one closet, also make sure that upstairs the vents come in from the floor, which allows you to vent into the attic without anyone looking up there.

2) put a lock on the bedroom and a lock on the closet, vent air intake through the AC if you can, that way you can seal off the closet. (won't work if you have central heating in the winter)

3) dont smoke in the apartment, or atleast not near the door where the smell can get you knock and talked.

Pay your rent on time, dont tell anyone, don't complain about anything they might want to come in fix and don't worry about shit!

Good advice.:thumbup:

--------------------
Fighting Terrorism One Seed At A Time
Big Bang, Arjan's Haze #3 Growlog
My First Grow(Complete)
Never let school get in the way of your education.-Mark Twain

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Uns4ne]
    #71350 - 07/03/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

for those of us who only have an in-the-wall AC unit, and are on the bottom floor, where do you vent your air to?  i'm still working with one very small plant so i'm not concerned yet, but are carbon scrubbers the only option?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: yellownotepad]
    #71383 - 07/03/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

they're the most effective option.  You can always vent the hot air into another room of your house using flexible ducting.  Does fuck all for security, but at least your room will be cool.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #71384 - 07/03/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is also assuming you dont want to cut 6 inch holes in your walls.  If you don't mind doing that, that's an option as well.

--------------------

OfflineHippyInASuit
Weed Farmer

#71411 - 07/03/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Apartment growing can be difficult.  Hopefully you've been there a year already to know what their maintenance schedule is like.  Change the knobs and put locks on your closet and bedroom door.  You can get knobs with locks at any hardware store.

400w will work for sure.  A small ozone generator can help fight the smell.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: HippyInASuit]
    #71413 - 07/03/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im going with at least 600w and I'll probably set up nearly as soon as I get there..

I plan to get a newer apartment so maintaince isn't a big issue.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineHippyInASuit
Weed Farmer

#71415 - 07/03/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good.  Don't tell ANYONE who isn't a close personal friend and grower themselves.  Good luck and have fun!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: HippyInASuit]
    #71423 - 07/03/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not telling anyone period.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineMad Hatter
Slum Lord
Male

#71427 - 07/03/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't tell anyone most likely you could grow hundreds of plants and never get caught (in a house that is) but unfortunatly 99% of the people who say they will never tell one day will tell some guy or girl to show off and then that person tells 2 other ppl and they tell 2 other ppl and then some ppl break in and try to steal everything and the cops come :frown: True story

--------------------
Isn't life a trip?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in an apartment [Re: Mad Hatter]
    #71430 - 07/03/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My last grew one person knew about and she's my best friend.

I'd tell her where I bury dead bodies. She's so down.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds