Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

General questions about growing.
    #266273 - 08/16/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ever since I started smoking marijuana I've wanted to grow it. Especially when my favorite strains (AK-47 and Blueberry) were no longer available to buy from the dealers I knew.

However when I moved out of my parents house I somehow never got around to actually doing it.
I always had a paranoid roommate, or a sketchy landlord, or some other reason that kept me from being completely comfortable with the idea.

So recently I've had to move out of my apartment because my roommate went insane and (I believe) was temporarily committed to a mental hospital. There was also a leaking roof, that allowed raccoons to crawl into the ducts, Which I then had to fend off with my BB gun.

Anyways it was quite a nightmare. I've been living with my folks for a couple months, and it looks like I'm getting a new apartment soon. I will be living by myself since I can't even imagine living with other people anymore.

This past week I went to visit a friend out of town. He brought me to see his grow room.
He had 20 plants in the basement of a house, wrapped up in some kind of (mylar?) tent. I think he had two 600 watt lights and a 150 watt, which all exhausted to the outside of the tent. They were very pretty and it looked like he was soon to enjoy a very nice harvest.

The thing that surprised me the most, was the total lack of smell.

The smell has always been the biggest worry to me. I keep my apartments in good condition, I don't piss off my neighbors, I'm a pretty agreeable tenant generally. I've just always been worried about my apartment reeking of dope. Especially the smell of fresh dope, I don't think the smell of a blunt or a joint is quite as incriminating as the strong smell of the fresh product.

My friends plants were definitely into their flowering stage, although the buds clearly had several more weeks to go before finishing. Still, even sitting IN the grow room the smell was fairly negligible. They were not using a carbon filter even though from what I've read I thought it would be absolutely necessary for a grow(especially of 20 plants). I don't know which strains have the least smell, but I know he was growing cotton candy and white rhino among others.

So my question (sorry about the long post) is how feasible do you think it would be to grow in the closet of my new apartment with a 250 watt bulb, how much do you think it would smell, what strains produce the least smell, and do you think a carbon filter is necessary?

I'm thinking this might be a project I'm finally ready to tackle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: General questions about growing. [Re: AshtrayDinner]
    #266358 - 08/16/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Welcome to The Growery! :bigjoint:

Quote:

So my question (sorry about the long post) is how feasible do you think it would be to grow in the closet of my new apartment with a 250 watt bulb, how much do you think it would smell, what strains produce the least smell, and do you think a carbon filter is necessary?

I'm thinking this might be a project I'm finally ready to tackle.

It's very feasible depending on closet size etc. A 250w bulb would be pretty ideal for a small grow. And in an apartment, i would recommend carbon filters to get rid of any smell. Living in close quarters like that should require any and all precautionary measures to ensure your safety and success. :cool:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: General questions about growing. [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #266863 - 08/18/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'd say if you have the money, def. do the carbon filter. You'll need a inline exhaust, which is pretty expensive, but you can make your own carbon filter for about 10-20 dollars. If you cant afford the fan and filter, I'd say put a shitload of febreeze plug in air dispenser things, along with burning incense. From my research, a 250 will flower 2 very nice plants, or 3 smaller ones. Hope I helped

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: General questions about growing. [Re: erikm]
    #266927 - 08/18/09 04:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Carbon filters are a great way to alleviate the smell of your growspace. If you live in the US, there is a site you can get a small carbon filter for about $40 and saves you the trouble of trying to build one yourself. However, it is easy to build your own, and the activated carbon can be purchased in bulk from aquarium shops as it is also used to filter water.

There is a strain from Vancouver Island Seed Company called 'Stealth'. It produces little odor and some fantastic nugs. However, if you enjoy strains such as AK-47 etc, the extra money spent to get the carbon filter will be well worth it.

--------------------

OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

Re: General questions about growing. [Re: PapaKush]
    #267165 - 08/19/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So the fan pumping the hot air out of the lights, runs through the carbon filter and exhausts to the outside of the grow?

Wouldn't I have to cut a hole in the wall outside my closet to achieve this?

I just noticed at my friends grow, the only exhaust from the tent was the fans running through the ducting attached to the lights. It vented to the outside of the tent setup they had.

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#267377 - 08/19/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If you're going to run it the way you just described to me, you would hook up the carbon filter to one open end of your air cooled hood, then attach a vent hose to a fan and pump it out of the room. Yes you will likely need to make your own vent port in your closet, unless there is attic space above it, but either way, that air needs to be pumped out of the room.

--------------------

Offlineerikm
Stranger
 User Gallery

#267379 - 08/19/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AshtrayDinner said:
So the fan pumping the hot air out of the lights, runs through the carbon filter and exhausts to the outside of the grow?

Wouldn't I have to cut a hole in the wall outside my closet to achieve this?

The fan that pulls your hot air, along with the air from inside the grow area,  exhausts anywhere you want it. If you have a carbon filter, the smell will be eliminated, so you can just have your fan exhaust right outside of your grow area.

OfflineAshtrayDinner
Stranger

Re: General questions about growing. [Re: erikm]
    #267594 - 08/19/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I wish I could draw you a crappy picture to try and explain.

A basement apartment is the only thing I will be able to afford. I'd like to turn the closet into a garden.

I've done a lot of reading and I think this is basically how I'm trying to do it, but I have some things that I'm confused about.

So first of all, the things I think I will need are:

1 HDI lamp (ideally 250 W but the local growshop might only have 400W)
1 carbon filter
Black/white poly
Several fans
Pots
Nutrients
Seeds
Soil
Automatic timer for light

I'm going to cover the inside of the closet with the reflective side of the poly. Hang the light, germinate and plant the seeds/seedlings, and otherwise care for the plants.
The ballast(at least the one I saw last week)will be attached to ducting. There will be a fan on either the intake or outake end of the ballast, sucking in the smelly/hot air from the garden.

The smelly/hot air will be pumped through the carbon filter and come out the other end. At this point it will be notsmelly/hot air. This needs to be vented somewhere.

I can't really figure out how/where I can vent this air without cutting a hole in the drywall on my apartments wall.
Not that I mind so much, I mean I can plaster over it when I move out. I'm just don't know if I can explain to my guests why there is a big tube pumping hot air out of a homemade hole in my closet wall.

Any suggestions?

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#268007 - 08/20/09 04:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You should get your apartment first, then when you know what kind of closet space you're dealing with, we can be better able to help you with your questions. Dealing in hypotheticals is a waste of time at this point.

As for the question about venting, if your closet has a door on it, you can open the door, and make a 'door' with your poly that velcros shut at the bottom and along the sides. With the closest door open, and the poly door closed, you can simply cut a hole in the poly 'door' and use duct tape to attach your exhaust system to it and vent the air into the main room.

As to explaining to guests, I can't imagine why they would have any reason to see the closet or your grow. Secrecy will keep you from being robbed by a so called 'friend'.

My advice would be to get your apartment, and then knowing what you will be working with we can give you more detailed help. You can even build your own grow boxes on the cheap and avoid the problems you're talking about all together. Good luck let us know when you have more info.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: General questions about growing. [Re: PapaKush]
    #268223 - 08/20/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
Carbon filters are a great way to alleviate the smell of your growspace. If you live in the US, there is a site you can get a small carbon filter for about $40 and saves you the trouble of trying to build one yourself. However, it is easy to build your own, and the activated carbon can be purchased in bulk from aquarium shops as it is also used to filter water.

There is a strain from Vancouver Island Seed Company called 'Stealth'. It produces little odor and some fantastic nugs. However, if you enjoy strains such as AK-47 etc, the extra money spent to get the carbon filter will be well worth it.

Can we get a link to that site?

the internet is so fucking cool.  Anyway, AshtrayDinner this is the floorplan of the closet that i have and use.  I have a 400w mh bulb lit up in there now and will probably add another 400w when i flower it.  I haven't had any problem with it.  I paid an extra 20$ a month or so for it.  Nothing unreasonable.  Good luck! 

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: General questions about growing. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #268494 - 08/21/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The site is http://htgsupply.com/ they're currently moving to a larger facility and their site will be back up soon.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck