Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

Efficiency of carbon filters ??
    #537818 - 03/18/11 09:07 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Hey there,

Just looking for some sort of assurance. 

My apartment is 1 room shared and we live on a main road.  My roomie wants to grow a few plants in a grow tent with a carbon filter extracter.

The thing is theres not really anywhere to vent it too and if the smell leaks outside of the tent itself or any smell comes out that extractor then he will probably get busted.

Are these things good enough to contain it all?

Or do u think in our situation we should not do it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: FunkyBlunts]
    #537853 - 03/18/11 12:08 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

I think that sounds too risky for your situation.  Maybe just a plant or two, but that's still a good number of ounces to look forward to. 

Obviously this depends on the plant size and genetics like everything else, but in general, a single plant yields a few ounces at the least, and smells a lot.

Consider this: you'd probably be fine the majority of the time, but even a few days where you don't have the smell under control, whether you're licensed to grow a few plants or not, is an unnacceptable risk (in your situation, that is).

Consider getting an additional scrubber (or some secondary method of odor control) for the living space.

What size fan/scrubber are you looking at?  Tent size and light?  Not sure why you wouldn't include this information in your original post....

And the smell will not be contained to the tent- at least the room it sits in will smell some.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? *DELETED* [Re: FunkyBlunts]
    #537859 - 03/18/11 12:30 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: k

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #538357 - 03/20/11 06:30 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Hmmm OK.

So does everyone who grows own their own house in the country then?  I assume they must do as theres no way of getting rid of the smell completely and the neighbours are bound to get a whiff every now and again if you are venting it.

Also landlords generally inspect their property every 3- 6 months so how do people get around that?  I thought doing it stealthily with carbon scrubbers and venting would be enough but if the room its in still smells then the landlords will bust them.

Generally the its seems pretty impossible to do unless you own a house in the countryside?

Someone needs to invent a strain that doesn't smell !!!  It would be a gold mine to anyone that can do it!

Female User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? *DELETED* [Re: FunkyBlunts]
    #538371 - 03/20/11 09:00 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #538424 - 03/20/11 01:27 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

see i run a 2.5x2.5x5 foot tent with 2-3 plants and have 2 medium  sized carbon scrubbers in my vent path with an inline fan to push the air through into the surrounding room (my living room) and I have never had issues with the smell...my friends can't smell it when they come over either. Just thought i would mention if you buy a carbon filter such that its rated to scrub more air than you are moving, you should be fine.

But again my carbon filters will fail overnight with no warning...not sure what thats about but it always works out that I will go out for a few hours or go to bed and then the next morning or whenever I come back it will reek in my apartment...so having a few backup filters is expensive but a very good idea in your situation.

Peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: Data]
    #538636 - 03/21/11 06:09 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Thanks.

Has anyone invented a strain that doesn't smell?  :tongue:  :smile:

Offlinethe man

#538712 - 03/21/11 01:24 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

well skunky pine/leomon  tend to be more pungent and stay in the air more then fruity floral or other not skunky strains. i mean thats pretty anecdotal but strains that have tastes that are strong tend to smell strong and the aromatics are "hardier" for a lack of better word.

replace filter regularly be sure its running 24 hours a day. there are some gells and stuff that absorb smells. ive seen a few dryer sheets on the end of the vent to sort of mask the smell a bit

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: the man]
    #538883 - 03/22/11 07:27 AM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

I heard northern lights is one of the less smelly strains?  anyone verify?

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#538962 - 03/22/11 02:54 PM (13 years, 5 hours ago)

yes northern light is low smell,that is what i read anyway

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Offlinethe man

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #539021 - 03/22/11 09:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

was it NL#5 or something in particular??

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #539093 - 03/23/11 01:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I grew in an apartment kitchen on the second floor of an old converted victorian home. Even though I grew in California, where it was medical I was still concerned with smell. I had no smell, just sound with a carbon filter.

(Moderator edited to remove bad advice)

If you smoke a lot of pot, like my friend in NY, you can get harassed and arrested in public for smoking. On the positive side, if you grow and smoke inside your home and use air fresheners for the smell, or deploy ion filters in the room you smoke it does a pretty good job of eliminating smell. Or buy a small ozone generator, run it during smoking and then turn it off.

I'm not sure if Ozone is the best smell eliminator still vs. ion filters, but you don't really need the best. Just be aware that 1500 ppm's for ozone is a rather small amount or else it supposedly is harmful to humans. Ironically I found it to be positive, as it kills cellular tissue, but your cells regrow, so that is a positive thing.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Edited by 81renaissance (03/23/11 04:05 PM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: BigBudz]
    #539285 - 03/23/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BigBudz said:
If you want to grow weed, go ahead. It won't smell in the tent. Sounds like it's illegal where you are so that stinks. On the positive side someday it will be legal. If you don't focus on the negatives, getting busted by police you shouldn't. Just think positive. Police only mess with you if you have problems. Smoking cannabis is not a problem, nor is growing it.

Quit spreading misinformation! If you are in a state that has not passed a medical marijuanna act, smoking and growing pot IS a problem!

If he does not have some sort of way to combat the smell, it WILL make his room, of not the whole house and block smell of marijuanna.

Thinking positive does not prevent random chance from rolling a 20 and some cop getting lucky!

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinethe man

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: Tank333]
    #539311 - 03/23/11 05:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

mods can delete this if they want but i really think he is manic that thoughts can prevent cops from smelling your weed and busting your ass. again sorry

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

#539539 - 03/24/11 08:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys.

I reckon if we have
1. Sealed grow environment
2. Low smell strain like northern lights
3. Low amount of plants (3-4?)
4. Carbon filter and ozone generator
5. Vent the air output outside
6. Get a larger, more discreet apartment, preferably top floor

The lighting used will be CFL as well which I think may help a bit as the heat from HPS might make it smell more.

Hopefully that will be enough to keep it stealthy.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#539579 - 03/24/11 12:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just so you know...when you start having a plume of hot air being ejected from a place on the outside of your apartment where hot air should not be coming from...that is what those helicopters with the FLIR (forward looking infrared) cameras are looking for...I would suggest tying your vent ducting into a vent for another source of hot air like your dryer vent or shower vent...that way WHEN the DEA VIOLATES YOUR PRIVACY WITHOUT A WARRANT, WHICH THEY DO...then your place will only have hot air coming out where it should...rather than having what looks like a jet of hot air blasting out of a small opening in a window or something...just a thought since you are trying to be super stealth about this.

Also if this is misinformation please correct me but thats the way I've heard those guys look for indoor grow ops, that and heat coming through the roof where someone is trying to grow in the attic...

peace and love,
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

#539915 - 03/25/11 05:24 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks yep we heard about this, hence the use of CFL's  ;-)

Female User Gallery

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? *DELETED* [Re: Data]
    #539916 - 03/25/11 05:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#540017 - 03/25/11 01:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

At the moment i live in an apartment and i also have AT LEAST 12 plants growing at any given time. Im a medical caregiver so I am in a legat state. Most of my family know i grow, and are always concerned about my 2 yr old living with me. I use a 55lb scrubber and after being visited by famil noone has a clue that i have 12 mature mj plants inside my laundry room. The only problem I really have is noise from my fan, but its being running so long i think the neighbors just thinks its noise from the furnace or something. I do vent all air from my grow room up into the attic of the apartment building and I've been golden so far. Even with frequent police visits to the coke head neighbors place. No one has yet suspected a think. Unless someone caught a glimpse of me coming and going with clones.

Also i was concerned with the issue as well when i was moving in but i think Harryballsach had a tutorial of stealth exhaust vents that can easily be fixed upon moving out without the landlord knowing. Just sit and look at your area and get creative.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#540156 - 03/25/11 08:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

FunkyBlunts said:
Thanks yep we heard about this, hence the use of CFL's  ;-)

CFL's produce less lumens per watt than HID's and thus for the actual wattage, produce more heat per watt of electricity consumed...so by using CFL's you are actually generating more heat and hence have to be more careful getting rid of all that heat...the only reason CFL's are a good option is that they have a less concentrated heat source and they are easily bought and assembled without having to order any specialty equipment like ballasts.

The whole myth that CFL's produce less heat than HID's is just silly if you actually do a little research, but I can't really say anything because I'm growing with CFL's currently, but only because the local power company was working with the hardware store such that a 6-pack of 26W CFL's were selling for $2.50 :awecid: and I'm not doing a huge grow (2.5 x 2.5 x 5 grow tent).

Peace and love,
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #540169 - 03/25/11 08:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
The venting thing is in a Barry Cooper DVD... What I would be more concerned about with the venting of hot air is that, if you live in a cold area and vent outside, then you are going to have steam flying out of your house in odd places.

In the daytime this can be confusing to people and cause alarm..."where there is smoke there is fire" , well where there is steam venting irregularly, people will draw the same conclusions and bring unwanted attention.

I had the idea to either tie my exhause into the house's exsisting vent system, or to put a Y on the dryer's vent, and push it out in a place that hot air is expected to be coming from...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: Tank333]
    #540173 - 03/25/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I put mine into the sewer.
Never worried about it.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineFunkyBlunts
Mr Nice
 User Gallery

#540365 - 03/26/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
by using CFL's you are actually generating more heat

Hmmmm I find that hard to understand :confused:

A 250 watt CFL can be touched with the hand yet a 250 watt HPS is absolutely cooking and would burn you if you touched it and they stick out like a sore thumb with thermal imaging cams.

I don't think whatever is generated by a small CFL would be visible.  Especially considering it would be constantly being vented out by cool air.

I spose you mean you have to use many more lights to get the same lumens then that would then increase the heat output by comparison?    I think I get it...

We are talking about 3-4 plants though and were think of using 2 x 250 watt CFLs .  One the flowering type and one the veg type but we just gonna run both through the whole process to get a full spectrum for the whole grow.

OfflineFlying_Dog
Last man standing
 User Gallery

Loc: Underground
    #540420 - 03/26/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just buy a really over sized can for the tent. With that little wattage there should be almost no smell especially if you keep a constant negative pressure in the tent. Sound would be the largest issue. Make sure you dry and trim in the tent then vaccum seal it up and there should be no odor worries.

Offlinethe man

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: Flying_Dog]
    #540429 - 03/26/11 04:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

*  misinfo * you need to look at actual wattage. prob 45 watter but those get pretty hot actually...

Edited by the man (03/26/11 04:54 PM)

OfflineFlying_Dog
Last man standing
 User Gallery

Loc: Underground
    #540430 - 03/26/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinethe man

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: Flying_Dog]
    #540435 - 03/26/11 05:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i was thinking for a cheapo set up hardwarestore regular socket CFLs.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #540500 - 03/26/11 09:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I use a homemade scrubber and I live in a small apt.  I just grew Northern Lights and vent into my living area from a closet.  I had no trouble with smell growing 4 plants when everything was closed up.  When I had the door to my cab open, now that's a different story. 
My apt peeps always give notice upon entering and I never leave my door open when I'm away, NEVER!  The most dangerous part for me is during the veg cycle when everything is running 24/7.  During flowering, I leave lights on during the night and shut everything down durning the day.  I had my apt peeps in twice during my last grow and they said nothing.  Good luck!

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Efficiency of carbon filters ?? [Re: muse42]
    #540519 - 03/26/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I spose you mean you have to use many more lights to get the same lumens then that would then increase the heat output by comparison?    I think I get it...

yes, your light conversion efficiency is lower in CFLs than in HIDs, so for 250W of electricity will give you X amount of lumens for CFL's, the same amount of electrical input will give you >X amount of lumens. When you put in 250W of electricity, some of that gets converted into electromagnetic radiation in the form of visible light, and all other types of EMR both above and below the wavelengths of visible light, the infrared radiation will contribute to heat problems, but the rest of the unconverted electricity is dissipated as waste heat from the ballast and through the bulb. So the higher your lumen output per X amount of electricity, the less heat you are going to generate.

The best way I can think to make up an analogy is to think of the light/ballast combo as your body. The electricity going into the system is food. The more efficient your body is at extracting and utilizing calories, the lower the mass of shit is gonna be rejected out of the back end, the shit being the analogy for waste heat. Simple mass balance in this analogy but its the same thing with the lights just an energy balance, which i guess is essentially the same thing and oh I'm rambling now. Sorry for the windy post I'm a little high :whoo:

anyway, the reason the CFL's are cooler running is just that, they operate at a lower temperature than the HIDs. But if you look at the geometry of the bulb, CFL's have a crapton of surface area to spread that heat over. Total heat transfer is very simply defined as the heat transfer coefficient (U) times the area of heat exchange surface (A) times the temperature difference b/w the surface and the ambient air. This can be a lot more complicated for more exact numerical answers but for this concept simple is better. So assuming that the glass thickness is essentially the same for each bulb type, your U is going to be the same. Therefore if the surface area is way higher in one bulb than the other, then the temperature difference can be a lot lower in the bulb with higher surface area for the same amount of total heat transfer. This is why the surface feels a lot cooler, when in actuality the bulb is dissipating more heat than the higher temperature HID bulb.

Think of the surface area as the cross-sectional area of a pipe. The HID light would be a very small diameter pipe, and the CFL would be a huge diameter pipe. In order to get the same total flow rate through each pipe in gallons per hour, the velocity and thus the pressure difference across the pipe (the amount of push) would need to be much higher in the small diameter pipe than the large diameter pipe. The pressure difference or push in this analogy stands for the temperature difference in each bulb with the ambient air temp.

Okay im done going all crazy with the engineering bullshit...sorry about getting overly excited I love science :dumblol:

Peace and love,
agmotes165

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals