Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery
home depot fans
    #231461 - 05/24/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i've been doing some research and finally got some nice info on how much ventilation i need for my room. But i have a few questions about the fans themselves.

Has anyone had any experience on the squirrell cage fans at home depot? i mean how loud are they?

also should i match cfms for intake and exhaust? or put a lot into exhaust and a little into intake? any help is aprecciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: home depot fans [Re: boomsaway]
    #231574 - 05/25/09 01:32 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

squirrel cage fans can be noisy if not mounted right, and no mater how you do them there not silent. I use one to air cool my light, and it is quieter than my hydro tank. But I have wrapped all my ducting in a generous amount of duct tape and placed a towel under the fan itself, and this seemed to reduce the noise a good bit.

Edited by Integra21 (05/25/09 01:33 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: home depot fans [Re: Integra21]
    #232288 - 05/26/09 03:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There is a formula somewhere for the intake/exhaust ratio...you want a slightly higher exhaust than intake I believe, but I prefer a passive intake (several holes in the bottom of my tent, and then whatever exhaust you want).
I'll try to find the other info for you

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery
Re: home depot fans [Re: 81renaissance]
    #232702 - 05/26/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well ive done a lot more researching elsewhere and i found a good formula for cfm management

1 calculate volume of room (length x width x height)
2 divide by 60 (minutes in an hour)
3 mutiply by number of exchanges per hour (every 5 minutes = 12 exchanges per hour) in this case its 12

and that gives your minimum required exhaust cfm. so i figure tack like 50cfm onto that to tolerate the light and ur good. ill probably have to use some small booster or something similar to move fresh air through the ducting that ill need for intake.

so after all that i see that i can use a simple bathroom exhaust fan to tackle my problems.

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Loc: Pacific NW
    #234888 - 06/01/09 05:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

if you do it right you can solve 2 problems at once. the inline 250cfm 6" fans move enough that if you put the intakes in the right spot, with all that air moving you won't need an oscilating fan.

just imo tho.

friend was thinking about using the 8" 500cfm inline's but they only had 1.

they're a bit quieter than a squirrle cage fan i think.

--------------------

Third grow  Third grow  Second grow  First grow(in that order) Fun Times :smile:

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #235926 - 06/03/09 12:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

boomsaway said:
well ive done a lot more researching elsewhere and i found a good formula for cfm management

1 calculate volume of room (length x width x height)
2 divide by 60 (minutes in an hour)
3 mutiply by number of exchanges per hour (every 5 minutes = 12 exchanges per hour) in this case its 12

and that gives your minimum required exhaust cfm. so i figure tack like 50cfm onto that to tolerate the light and ur good. ill probably have to use some small booster or something similar to move fresh air through the ducting that ill need for intake.

so after all that i see that i can use a simple bathroom exhaust fan to tackle my problems.

All you have to do is find the cfm of the space and divide by 5. I recommend getting something at least twice the size you need and get a fan speed controller.

Unless you have a grip on wiring, be sure everything plugs into an outlet. Most things of this nature aren't plug n play at the hardware store.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: home depot fans (moved) [Re: boomsaway]
    #235984 - 06/03/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Soil & Organic Nutrients.

Reason:
Better in general cult.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order