Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerb
everything accounted for
    #23372 - 05/09/08 01:06 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hello growery,

I've been growing shroomz for about 8 months, and probably spent $300+ total on the hobby(PC,martha,trays,WBS,coir,verm,peat,blah blah blah)

I want to try my hand at growing bud. What's the minimum requirements that I need? How much am I looking to spend on this hobby? and where can I get seeds(are they legal to buy?)

FYI, I have about 5x5 area to work with. Indoors in an apartment(carpeted).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: everything accounted for [Re: Herb]
    #23776 - 05/09/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

What's the minimum requirements that I need?

Light, pots, medium, nutrients, fans, genetics.

Quote:

How much am I looking to spend on this hobby?

However much you want, what you put in is what you get out. If you want to do it right and go with a HID setup, you're probably looking at close to a thousand dollars once you get all you need. A decent 600 watt lamp setup (ballast, bulb, cool tube) will probably range in the 300-400 dollar range. You can buy a stanley blower for an exhaust fan for around 40 bucks and modify it, or, you can spend about 200-300 on a strong inline fan like a vortex or an ellipse. Your medium costs depend on the medium. Soils like fox farm's lines are expensive as fuck. DIY soil is always cheaper but requires more work. Soilless mediums like coir and peat are cheap but require a large amount of nutrients to run properly. Nutrients themselves are expensive, quart bottles of some nutes can run up to 70$ per bottle. Some are not so expensive, some are, you can get away with finding good nutes for cheap so don't go thinking "more expensive means better".

I don't even want to add up the costs of hydro if you go that route, that's a whole other world of cost. Also your electricity bill will probably rise by about 30 bucks per month once you get going so don't forget to factor that into your costs. The cost of genetics vary, you can find seeds on auction sites for 50 bucks, you can buy seed packs from breeders for 100+$, or if you live in a med state you can find clones from 10-20 bucks. There's always the option of picking out some seeds from a nice purchased bag of herb and growing them, but that's a crap shoot.

Quote:

where can I get seeds(are they legal to buy?)

we're not allowed to list seed vendors, but, if you live in the states they are illegal to purchase.

Quote:

I have about 5x5 area to work with.

that's plenty of space.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineHerb

Re: everything accounted for [Re: coda]
    #23940 - 05/09/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thanks---

seems pretty costly, guess I'll have to wait till I graduate college.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #24343 - 05/09/08 10:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well, don't get discouraged. You can use t-5 and CFL lighting, these are cheaper alternatives to HID lights and are easier to keep cool and ventilate. Your yields or buds wont be the best, but, if you just want to grow to grow it's an option for you.

--------------------

OfflineHerb

Re: everything accounted for [Re: coda]
    #24560 - 05/10/08 01:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I just want to work with 100-200$ to get started. If I can do that, that would be cool.

may not be a good idea, as I am slightly allergic to the stuff. when consumed that is(smoked)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #25079 - 05/10/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

getting started for 200 bucks could be kind of tricky, but, if you only want to grow a plant or two it is feasible. Like i said, wont be the best yields or most amazing buds, but you can grow something. If you went the CFL route the most expensive thing would probably be the seeds.

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#244208 - 06/29/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ah I know where you're coming from. I did my first grow on an ultra tight budget using CFL energy saver bulbs from the hardware. Made reflectors from beer cans, and made up the lights with bits and bobs. You can get seeds for a reasonable price if you look around, or just pick some out of a bag of green if you can find some. Pots, compost, food doesn't have to cost that much. I calculated the total cost at €80. And if you could use the sun it'd cost less.

Don't forget to factor in your leccy bill. In Ireland it works out at about €56 a month for a 600W running 24 hours. And to grow to maturity you're looking at maybe 3 months under 24 hours of light, then another 2-3 months flowering under 12 hours of light a day. You do the math, works out about 200-300 bob I'd say. Then again a 250W light should do the trick for a small grow.

CFL's on the other hand work out at about 6 bucks a month.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#275245 - 09/04/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Herb said:
may not be a good idea, as I am slightly allergic to the stuff. when consumed that is(smoked)

Learn to cook with it! :grin:

--------------------

Video games don't affect kids.
If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.
- Nintendo CEO

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: everything accounted for [Re: djstan627]
    #278323 - 09/10/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: everything accounted for [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #278946 - 09/11/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Oh damn. Sorry Growery.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale