Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTODAY

Decisions, decisions
    #18118 - 05/03/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

1000w hps or 600w hps? Digital ballast or magnetic ballast?

Some people say they get more per watt from a 600 than a 1000 hps light. Would I really be better off (besides the initial cost of buying the lamps) with 5 600w lights vs 3 1000w lights? And is the digital ballast hype for good reason?

Regarding digital ballasts:

How much less power does it consume? (probably only consumes a few tens of watts/hr less because of less heat produced right?)

If I want it to run on 240v do I need to get a 240v power cord or what? Can you run 240v to a standard wall outlet?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decisions, decisions [Re: TODAY]
    #18270 - 05/03/08 12:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It depends honestly. How big is your grow space? 6 lamps would cover more area then three, however you'll need to power three more ballasts which can be a problem if you're trying to run them all off the same circuit. 600 watt lights are more economical in terms of the amount of light put out to the cost of running them.

On the flipside it would probably be a lot easier to vent three lights instead of 6. You'll also have to buy less equipment to run them. You'll also have less clutter in terms of wires and equipment lying around. You'll probably spend a little less on the three 1K lights to cool and exhaust as well (less fans needed). You'll also realize a slight savings when you have to go replace the bulbs as well, it's a lot cheaper to buy three bulbs then six.

As for digital vs magnetic, go digital! They run cooler, take up less space, are a bit more efficient then a magnetic ballast, weigh less, and run a bit quieter as well.

Are you sure you don't mean 220? I'm pretty sure US standards are either 110 or 220, i know that my ballast can run either and all it takes is buying the right power cord for the ballast. It plugs directly into the wall.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineTODAY

Re: Decisions, decisions [Re: coda]
    #18531 - 05/03/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the insights Coda.

I think 1000 watters is where it's at...as well as digital.

I have an electrician friend that will be installing new, higher capacity breakers so I can run all the higher voltage lamps on one circuit.  Whether it'll run at 240v or 220v, I'm not sure.  I thought it was 240v.  Either way, the digital ballasts can accommodate up to 270v I think.

I'm not sure what size fan I'll need.  I used to run a 240cfm through my 400w Hps.  I don't know the size of the room either...this is all theoretical at the present time.  I imagine I'll need at least a 750cfm fan but I'm not sure. :shrug:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decisions, decisions [Re: TODAY]
    #19002 - 05/04/08 01:19 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'd look into a fan with at least a 6 inch, if not an 8 inch, port. This way you won't bottleneck any part of your vent system with a reducer. I believe fonda cox uses an 8 inch fan on a 1K light with great results. Her fan cost about 200 bucks or so.

Also, if you were looking to keep costs low you can always modify a stanley blower. The blower costs about 40 bucks and the ducting to modify it shouldn't be any more then 10. A lot of people use these fans as boosters or just to vent their rooms with great results. I have one myself but i don't use it anymore.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #19014 - 05/04/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #20435 - 05/05/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the info

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom