Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLucas
Male

Loc: Michigan
Light help?
    #190674 - 01/30/09 05:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What would light system would you guys recommend for a two plant closet grow, I only want one light so recommend one thatll be good all around from seed to smoke.

--------------------
It's called 'Moonajuana', shiz will fluff you up!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light help? [Re: Lucas]
    #190701 - 01/30/09 07:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What is the size of the closet? The number of plants doesn't really tell anything because you can grow them very large before you flower them.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Light help? [Re: Annom]
    #190704 - 01/30/09 08:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to deal with the heat then get like a 250 watt hps/mh interchangeable...If you don't then get a CFL lamp with a reflector you can find them for 100 dollars or so and you won't have the heat to deal with. You can get them that have 2-3 CFL lights in them...So, it would be like 200-300 watts.

In the end you will not yield QUITE as much but it would do fine. If you get the hps/mh expect to spend money on fans(quite expensive)...Running the duct work which isn't very difficult. It's just some extra things. But if you want to go ahead and do it right then I suggest getting the hps/mh. You will want one eventually so why not now?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light help? [Re: mhbound]
    #190711 - 01/30/09 09:10 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it really depends on what you want from it and how much money you want to spend on it.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #190719 - 01/30/09 10:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
If you want to deal with the heat then get like a 250 watt hps/mh interchangeable...If you don't then get a CFL lamp with a reflector you can find them for 100 dollars or so and you won't have the heat to deal with. You can get them that have 2-3 CFL lights in them...So, it would be like 200-300 watts.

In the end you will not yield QUITE as much but it would do fine. If you get the hps/mh expect to spend money on fans(quite expensive)...Running the duct work which isn't very difficult. It's just some extra things. But if you want to go ahead and do it right then I suggest getting the hps/mh. You will want one eventually so why not now?

This isn't quite accurate. Cfls produce MORE heat per lumen than an HPS of comparable wattage. So if you are trying to avoid heat and ducting, CFL's are not the correct choice.

If you are aiming for the 200+ watt range there are only two options right now in my opinion, HPS or MH. A properly cooled 250w digital HPS/MH ballast in a normal/small closet (2'x2'x8') or a 400w in a large closet (3'X3'x8') will give you plenty of light. If you use a cool tube or an air cooled hood your grow temps will be within 5oF of intake temperature, very manageable indoors.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineLucas
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: Light help? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #190882 - 01/30/09 07:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Dr., do you think you could link me to any lights with the cool tube or air cooled hoods that your talking about? Thanks everyone for the advice.

--------------------
It's called 'Moonajuana', shiz will fluff you up!

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #190930 - 01/31/09 02:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Quote:

mhbound said:

This isn't quite accurate. Cfls produce MORE heat per lumen than an HPS of comparable wattage. So if you are trying to avoid heat and ducting, CFL's are not the correct choice.

If you are aiming for the 200+ watt range there are only two options right now in my opinion, HPS or MH. A properly cooled 250w digital HPS/MH ballast in a normal/small closet (2'x2'x8') or a 400w in a large closet (3'X3'x8') will give you plenty of light. If you use a cool tube or an air cooled hood your grow temps will be within 5oF of intake temperature, very manageable indoors.

Well to tell you the truth I wasn't aware of this...I have never grown with a cfl and am doing it next grow. It's good to know. So, you are saying if I took a 250 watt MH against a 250 CFL the CFL would put off more heat?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #190998 - 01/31/09 10:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That is exactly what I'm saying.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #191002 - 01/31/09 11:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, HID (HPS, MH) is very efficient. That's why they use it in agriculture.

This table lists luminous efficacy of a source and efficiency for various light sources.

HPS is 22%, CFL 10%, T8 15%.

I would always go with HID unless you plan a very small and cheap grow.

Edited by Annom (01/31/09 11:17 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies