Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineismokeweed

pruning with a soil grow?
    #191354 - 02/01/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hey everyone. i just signed up here today and I am very new to growing weed. i opted to join this one cuz i assume its from the same guys that did the shroomery considering it looks exactly the same. I learned quite a bit from that site and had many successful grows.

I read the first full start to finish growing tek on the cultivation part. If I understood right I think it said you can only prune them with hydroponics. surely thats not true is it?

Also one more thing. Are there any teks solely for pruning? I'm still not getting it 100%.

thanks fellas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: ismokeweed]
    #191361 - 02/01/09 03:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you can prune/top as long as thy are vegging, soil/hydro does not matter, and let them veg for a few weeks after you induce flowering to let the hormones catch up. and i bet if you research/google you will find more than enuff info on the subject.:thumbup:

--------------------
CALIFORNIA PROP 215 MEDICINAL CANNABIS PATIENT!!!

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #191881 - 02/03/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey and welcome! It is from the same guys that did the Shroomery, although the Growery is very young and not as developed as the Shroomery.

Quote:

If I understood right I think it said you can only prune them with hydroponics. surely thats not true is it?

Correct, that is not true.

Quote:

Also one more thing. Are there any teks solely for pruning? I'm still not getting it 100%.

Not yet on the Growery, but we are working on new content. What would you like to know and what is not clear?

OfflineNibin

#191917 - 02/03/09 03:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My private theory on pruning is that it should not be done except to either shape a plant, slow down vertical growth (topping) or remove diseased parts.

Plants have control mechanisms that kill off leaves when they are no longer net producers of sugars (for example when they are not recieving enough light aand are in fact consuming sugars, not producing any). Those leaves will die on their own and can then be pulled off.

But if the plant isnt killing the leaf it means it is still useful, so why destroy it?

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: Nibin]
    #191942 - 02/03/09 05:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There are two types of pruning described in Jorge Cervantes' book 'Marijuana Horticulture'.

Pruning the tops causes hormones to focus on lower branches and will cause your plant to grow shorter and bushier than if left un-pruned.

If you prune the tips off all side branching and leave the top alone, the hormones will cause your plant to grow skinnier and more vertical.

These techniques can be helpful if you are trying to conform your plant to certain space limitations, however if you are not facing space problems though there really is no need to prune your plants at all, and sometimes bending techniques are better than pruning all together.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Edited by SevenFingers (02/03/09 05:38 PM)

Offlinesativa soul

Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: SevenFingers]
    #193581 - 02/09/09 03:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you want to top your plant cut the stem right above a node at a 45 degree angle like shown in the picture.

Only do this when you plants are veggin and at least 5 nodes high.
Some people top after one week of flower but I wouldn't recommend that.

Good luck with your first grows!

Offlineismokeweed

Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: sativa soul]
    #193593 - 02/09/09 04:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks fellas. i was surprised to see this still up there. thought people may even bitch at me, saying i didn't look around enough.
i am trying to keep the plant as short as possible.

if i bend the top and tie it for a week should that keep it within 2 feet heighth? or will I also have to prune. I know it varies depending on the strain and i will buy the seeds that say theyre medium. either ak 47 or white widow. im really just trying to keep it as short and bushy as possible. maybe bending the top and then pruning it? what do you think

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #193653 - 02/09/09 06:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the pic sativa soul but you should never cut a top off at a 45 degree angle. There are two problems with cutting like that, first the remaining stem above the node is a perfect spot for a disease or infection to get started because the plant will die back to the closest node anyway leaving that bit of stem behind. Second, you expose a greater amount of the phloem and xylem, the conductive tissues of the plant. This is dangerous because this is the prime spot for fungus and infection to get in, in the first place.

You want to cut on an angle when taking clones though for the opposite reason; the increased exposure of the vascular cambium (creates the xylem and phloem) decreases rooting time.

Ismokeweed: you're in luck, we are all a bunch of pretty decent folks who like what we do so you will receive a minimum of elitist remarks. Stick around we're glad to help.

As for keeping your plant small, it shouldn't be much of a problem to keep them to 2ft as long as you are dilligent and keep an eye out for problems. For getting to do your tying for the day though with a grow that small can give you headaches for weeks so make sure you keep up.

Good luck!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinesativa soul

Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #194723 - 02/11/09 01:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

excuse me for the bad advice. I must have mixed up the two somehow. Though I think I remember reading it in the the canna grow bible somewhere.

Just bend the plant as low as needed. Just be carefull not to break the stem. You can bend and train as much as needed.
Just don't try to stress your plant to much or it might start to grow much slower.

The possibilities are endless. Here's an example of a tall haze plant I trained. It stayed under 20 inches high at all times.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: pruning with a soil grow? [Re: sativa soul]
    #194724 - 02/11/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Those are some  great pics! Nice job keeping that one so small.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds