Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Six Weeks Before Flowering?
    #7747 - 04/22/08 01:06 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I was watching a nice little grow video (Ready Set Grow Volume 1 from a torrent), and it was mentioning that, at the very least, it is best to let the plants grow for six weeks vegetative before inducing the flowering stage. It also mentioned that the plants might grow just a little bit more in size, or possibly double or triple their size, after rolling back the light for flowering.

I had gathered the impression that one could basically induce flowering when the plants were the size you were looking for, depending on how you were growing and the space available and everything, but hearing that kind of changes it.

My questions... Is that true about letting a plant grow for at least six weeks vegetative, and, if so, why? Also, how much would one expect a plant to grow in size, typically, after switching over to 12/12? In your experience, is there a general, typical amount of growth to expect after going to flowering?

My friend is looking more towards a sea of green type method when he begins growing, with lots of smaller plants than a couple of really big ones, due to limited space and simply looking for a uniform canopy with the big buds at the top cola (if that's the right way of putting it). He's looking to grow mostly indica but was interested in trying out some hybrids to explore some different highs, and having a plant grow six feet unintentionally wouldn't be good. :lol:

Thanks for the help. :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: Sirius]
    #8022 - 04/22/08 03:06 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

You can induce flowering when the plants have the size you are looking for. Some people start flowering right away. I don't know why they say you need six weeks of vegetative growth.

I start the flowering period when the leaves of different plants almost touch each other. Normal indoor strains still grow for about 3 weeks after switching to 12/12. They can easily grow 50cm (20inch) after switching to 12/12.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: Annom]
    #8034 - 04/22/08 03:22 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If growing from seed it's best to wait until they show sex (around four to six weeks). If growing from clones you can flower when you want.

That should explain the recommendation to wait six weeks.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: Hanky]
    #8039 - 04/22/08 03:28 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

good point.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: Annom]
    #8045 - 04/22/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

It's necessary to read between the lines with questions like this one.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #8137 - 04/22/08 06:58 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hanky said:
If growing from seed it's best to wait until they show sex (around four to six weeks). If growing from clones you can flower when you want.

That should explain the recommendation to wait six weeks.

Hhhhm... from a couple of different sources I read that you could sex them after you flower as well, and just keep a close watch on them to pull the males when they are known to be. Good either way?

--------------------

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#8171 - 04/22/08 07:35 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Sex them after they flower? WTF.

Like I said, from seed they'll show sex (Pre Flowers) at around four to six weeks. Pre Flowers grow on veging plants at the nodes, being able to identify them is a pre requisite for any grower.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #8178 - 04/22/08 07:44 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

That was a typo, I meant after you flip the lights to 12/12 for the flowering phase. Either way, my friend has grown outdoors before and knows what to look for on the male/female piece. I had just read that you could flip the lights down before you know the sex because you'll still have time to yank the males out of there before they actually flower. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#8185 - 04/22/08 07:52 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It's not proven to my knowledge but the general school of thought is that it's detrimental to force flowering before the plants have matured enough to show sex naturally.

Personally I'd rather wait until they show pre flowers and work onwards from there.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #8196 - 04/22/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Good enough for my friend. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#8250 - 04/22/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i've always read that plants become sexually mature when the leaves become alternate instead of opposite. i believe this is around the 4-6 week mark when preflowers begin to show. i always assumed that this change in morphology was a direct sign of sexual maturity... i mean, there has to be some reason for it, right?

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: Yrat]
    #8253 - 04/22/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Makes sense to me, but I'm no botanist. :hehehe:

So, to recap, four to six weeks the plants will start to show preflowers, then switch to 12/12? :smile:

--------------------

Offlineecto
prop215 / sb420 patient

Loc: california, usa
    #8283 - 04/22/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

most of the time i was lucky enough to see sex before flowering. when i was unsure i took clones and flowered them. then i knew.

as for when to flower, it really depends on how much you want to limit their heights. keep in mind whatever height you leave veg with will more than triple going into flower unless you got a squat indica strain. even so, indicas stretch as well.

keep it in mind.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: ecto]
    #8317 - 04/22/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ecto said:
keep in mind whatever height you leave veg with will more than triple going into flower unless you got a squat indica strain. even so, indicas stretch as well.

For the most part, my friend is going to grow mostly pure indicas (would like to find a good hybrid to find some different highs, I keep hearing that indicas get you tired?). Upward growth shouldn't be a problem though because the ceiling is like ten feet tall. :lol: Thanks for weighing in. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #9586 - 04/22/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think the point is that flowering before they show sex increases the chance of herms. I flower once mine get around 8-10 inches. I have only had one herm in probably 200 or so plants. I say fuck it. But thats just me.....

EG

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: ethnoguy]
    #10107 - 04/23/08 02:28 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
I think the point is that flowering before they show sex increases the chance of herms. I flower once mine get around 8-10 inches. I have only had one herm in probably 200 or so plants. I say fuck it. But thats just me.....

Which types of strains do you grow? Any hybrids that are mostly sativa? Also, what size do they end up growing to after you change the light for flowering? :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #10240 - 04/23/08 08:58 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:
i've always read that plants become sexually mature when the leaves become alternate instead of opposite. i believe this is around the 4-6 week mark when preflowers begin to show. i always assumed that this change in morphology was a direct sign of sexual maturity... i mean, there has to be some reason for it, right?

you are correct, sir. Alternating phyllotaxy is a sign of sexual maturation. By the time you see your nodes becoming uneven you should be seeing your preflowers pretty soon.

Personally i always wait when im starting from seed to sex my plants. A lot of people seem to take clippings from their unsexed plants and then throw the "moms" into flower to determine their sex. I agree with hanky in that it's not really a good thing. Biologically speaking you're forcing a plant into a phase of growth it's not entirely ready for.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#10761 - 04/23/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

ethnoguy said:

Which types of strains do you grow? Any hybrids that are mostly sativa? Also, what size do they end up growing to after you change the light for flowering? :smile:

The best of the local stuff is what I grow lol. I am too noid to order any. Mine usually ends up WAY better than the MJ the seeds came from. I think a lot of that is knowing when and how to harvest.

EG

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Six Weeks Before Flowering? [Re: ethnoguy]
    #10850 - 04/23/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

growing a seed you get in a bag will always result in better weed than the bag it came in. not only will you grow it properly (hopefully) and probably cure it better, but you will also ensure it doesn't pass through 20 hands before it gets to you. this reduces handling, shoving into pockets, etc that causes most of the trics to break off before you even see it.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#10953 - 04/23/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Exactly.

EG

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies