Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Chemical Addiction] * 1
    #828087 - 08/22/17 08:18 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So...anyone get to see the total eclipse?

I spent the weekend in SC and skipped classes for it. It was totally worth it, that shit was cray.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data] * 1
    #828088 - 08/22/17 08:46 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Rainstorm hit right after it started.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisibledrawde
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 2
    #828089 - 08/22/17 09:29 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Nope, too far north and cloud cover.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde] * 1
    #828091 - 08/23/17 06:09 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

It was trippy. As I was looking into the sun with my welding glasses I saw a flash followed by a brief look into what appeared to be the future.

I saw a kid from the North crying. He was crying in his room. He was grasping 40.00. Thing is, it was vanished as quick as it appeared. Peering into the future is a trip.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy] * 1
    #828094 - 08/23/17 06:57 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You obviously forgot to put the welding glass in the helmet...that vision was what the mind made up after you burned the last bit of retinal tissue...

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #828100 - 08/23/17 11:43 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:lolsy:

See how worried I am?

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde] * 1
    #828107 - 08/23/17 07:33 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:prettyflyforawhiteguy:

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#828109 - 08/23/17 08:27 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data] * 1
    #828111 - 08/23/17 09:25 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaybec
    #828152 - 08/27/17 12:21 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Niel degrade Tyson is the onlay reputable scientist just so u guys no

--------------------

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: volcomstoner] * 1
    #828161 - 08/27/17 08:08 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

And a great detective!

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: volcomstoner] * 1
    #828479 - 09/12/17 07:08 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-017-0224-z

Pretty neat article on the 'missing link' between stellar black holes and supermassive black holes.

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data]
    #829053 - 10/17/17 04:44 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
King Koopa said:

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde]
    #829063 - 10/18/17 09:57 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Anything above sea level would parish?

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy]
    #829071 - 10/18/17 12:41 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

You need to stfu sometimes. Seriously dood

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Invisibledrawde
Re: General Science Thread [Re: King Koopa]
    #829078 - 10/18/17 03:05 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Don't encourage him

--------------------
King Koopa said:

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde]
    #829086 - 10/18/17 05:17 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#829102 - 10/19/17 01:01 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

It's interesting to see a trend like that. Honestly, I would love to see further research continue the trend, as that means that our reckless abuse of fossil fuels might not wreck the planet as badly as previously thought.

Having said that, a quick search yields several recent studies (2016) and publications that continue to claim large values for global temperature change beyond the next century. I am not claiming that these data points are any more relevant or accurate, merely that they exist but do not appear in the plot.

Climate science is another area of science that is (for the most part) misunderstood and misused on a regular basis. Climate science is just like any other science,the models and predictions are formulated based on the data available at the time, and are subject to change when new data arrives. Too many people claim that the predictions of climate science are fact, when they are not, they are guesses.

However, the best guess of a community of people who wrap their entire lives around the study of the topic they are guessing on, are the people who should be looked to for humanity's best guess on the topic. Note, that doesn't mean that their word should be taken as fact, but rather as the best guess we have...that distinction makes a huge difference when determining what actions should be taken based on that guess.

Additionally, climate science is in this weird place relative to society, similar to racial issues. In order to acknowledge that an aggressive global effort needs to be taken, one must also accept that everything that their life is built on was a giant mistake. That is difficult for a society to swallow. It makes it even harder to act when the effects of the mistake may not show up in one's lifetime. Thus, issues like this are almost impossible to look at from a purely logical standpoint from both sides of the table. One side takes the illogical fear bias and claims that radical action should be taken at all costs, because what if the other side is wrong...while the other side takes the dismissive bias and claims that we will completely fuck up the economy and our way of living for something we don't not 100% know is going to happen, and if it does it won't happen in our lifetime. Then there are other people standing in the corner who are somewhere in the middle, but do not want to fight with the warring factions at the table.

Such a sticky situation. We could avoid it all by dumping money into development of space infrastructure, and get off planet....not that I'm exposing my biases or anything :bobmarley:

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data]
    #829103 - 10/19/17 01:49 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Similar opinion from this guy.
Some of those article suggest interesting things that don't make sense based on what I know about climate forcing, but they are published papers so they can't be as straight-up wrong as my preconception tell me.

Changes in the greenhouse effect is, actually, lower down on my list of things that I am concerned about with increased CO2 emissions, but for some of my fears a melting of the north pole ice cap is required.

Ocean acidification is real and must occur if atmospheric CO2 levels rise, but I can't say for certain that the ocean doesn't have some method to sequestor all that carbonic acid. Especially since increased concentrations of carbonic acid/carbonate/bicorbonate (which would all occur from large increases in CO2 in the atmosphere) *edit* ANY increase in CO2 in the atmosphere, from a technical perspective*  tend to have both positive and negative effects on ocean life (depending on what species/ecosystems you're focusing on). If the north poles ice cap melted ocean stratification would be a bitch to deal with.

I'm sure we can survive, but both of these things would really dick the biosphere real good.

I feel like my 3 courses on climate aren't really sufficient for me to act like I have the answers, but it has shown me that saying "it's complicated" is an understatement considering the interaction of feedback mechanisms for climate forcing, both positive and negative.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #829131 - 10/21/17 12:35 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Oceans acidify warm or rise kill coral a carbon sink then release more and can sequester as much co2. Trippy eh;) negative feedback loop

Concerning is not just when greenland melts or aa melts but simply warming of the ocean causes enough expantion to fuck shit up.

We are coming into 100 cicle that has been happening for thousands of years. Last was dirty thirties approx 100 years ago.  And will notice.most weather records are from around then.

1400s were approx as hot as far as we can tell as it is now..

Soo what does it all mean. We dont know what may influence warming and if we will oush it further then it should go. No one can know but polution sucks eitger way. And warning either way so need to figure out how to deal with the coast and ocean rise and make sure people can accept that without having to accept global warmibg is anthropogenic. Or manmade. Thats most inportant. Not say oil is bad as people will just shut down if u say tgat. Plus we all live in large homes drive and eat fruit where gortex. so cant say oil is bad

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom