Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data]
    #818050 - 08/11/16 09:07 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Hows about this one...

A mirror reflects all color and light, correct? Then why is the color of the mirror silver?

:mindblown:

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy]
    #818060 - 08/12/16 05:54 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Hey agmotes, what do you think it will take for us to reach other planets in the "goldilocks zone" and possibly find other life, or just to explore beyond our front door.

I believe it will take the death of this planet before we allocate the time/resources to figure out how traverse space. This idea first came to me when I saw a bumper sticker about strip mining. I thought "maybe strip mining can be a good thing" For the human race anyways not the millions of other lifeforms here.

We spend time/resources and brain power researching thimgs that don't really progress the race of man just distract them or makes them feel pretty. Once this planet is irredeemable we won't be studying new cosmetics, or how to use advertisement to sell product, we would focus on the survival of the species.

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy] * 1
    #818063 - 08/12/16 06:50 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
Hows about this one...

A mirror reflects all color and light, correct? Then why is the color of the mirror silver?

:mindblown:

Silver isn't really a color, since you can't make it with any of the primary colors. Silver or "metallic" describes the way that the light is reflected.

Reflection happens when materials absorb incoming photons, and immediately re-emit photons back out into the surroundings. The structure and general optical properties of the material determine how this is done. For instance, in a material that is a certain color, only certain wavelengths are efficiently re-emitted, while the rest of the incoming photons are converted to heat in the material.

In silvery/metallic or white materials, almost all incoming photon energy is re-emitted. The difference between white and metallic is the depth of interaction.

Most uniformly white substances are partially transluscent, i.e. they allow light to penetrate many hundreds of atoms (or more) down below the surface. This allows the photons to be absorbed and re-emitted many different times on its way into and then back out of the material, much like a pinball bounding around a pinball machine. This ultimately randomizes the paths of the exiting photons, and causes a loss (or random dispersion) of any information that the photons were carrying when they first arrived. This results in a uniform white light, without an semblance of reflected images. Optical properties of certain materials (ie not maintaining the original velocity (direction) of the photon during absorption/emission) amd surface properties (very rough surfaces) will enhance this dispersion effect.

Metallic surfaces, on the other hand, only allow penetration into the first few atomic layers of the surface, greatly reducing the randomization of information in the photons. This results in a clear image of the source of the photons in the surface, which if given a color based purely on the wavelengths of light reflected, would classify as white...but because it doesn't look like what we all normally consider to be the color white, we call it silver or metallic. :bobmarley:

As a final note, mirrors dont reflect all light, just a large majority of visible light. This is why if you place two mirrors so that they are facing each other, the infinite series of images created seems to fade off into a green haze. The glass and metallic backing are absorbing a small portion of the photons each time they bounce off the mirror, and the glass absorbs less green light than other wavelengths, so the last few reflections are the last bit of green light that hasn't been absorbed yet.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #818070 - 08/12/16 12:04 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:
Hey agmotes, what do you think it will take for us to reach other planets in the "goldilocks zone" and possibly find other life, or just to explore beyond our front door.

I believe it will take the death of this planet before we allocate the time/resources to figure out how traverse space. This idea first came to me when I saw a bumper sticker about strip mining. I thought "maybe strip mining can be a good thing" For the human race anyways not the millions of other lifeforms here.

We spend time/resources and brain power researching thimgs that don't really progress the race of man just distract them or makes them feel pretty. Once this planet is irredeemable we won't be studying new cosmetics, or how to use advertisement to sell product, we would focus on the survival of the species.

I hear ya, and you're right, it may take something crazy like a mass die-off of a significant portion of the world population, the discovery of life elsewhere (especially intelligent life), or a partial collapse of a major portion of the world biome in order to shake people's heads out of their asses.

We also have to remember that, with the exception of solar energy (which is still not a viable solution), we only have access to finite energy sources (fossil, nuclear, and geothermal being the larest and easiest to harness in large quantities. If we piddle around wasting the large energy stores, and run out of them prior to development of solid space travel technology, then we will be stuck wasting time trying to develop a technology that is power hungry, has unique chemical and physical requirements, all on the scraps that are left over after we use up all of the rare metals and semiconductors on entertainment purposes.

And that doesn't even take into account the increasing problem of space garbage building up in orbit. If a major collision were to take place in orbit, it could spawn a runaway series of collisions that spread into other orbits, and forms a shell of small, high speed debris that would make launches into space impossible for at least a few hundred years. This is called Kessler Syndrome, and the more garbage that we leave in orbit, the greater the chances are of this occuring, setting us back centuries or even imprisoning us on a dying planet.

As far as getting to an exoplanet in a nearby solar system, there are two options; multi-generational/longterm (stasis) space travel at subluminal (slower than light) speed, or superluminal  (faster than light) speed travel. Both are currently out of our reach. :shrug:

In my opinion, you have a much better chance of preserving humans, building robots that can raise humans once the ship arrives, or building a ship (or ships) that can house many generations of humans for centuries than we have of breaking the current laws of physics or producing exotic matter that would be required for superluminal travel.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #818072 - 08/12/16 05:19 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

is most of the debri metal? maybe we could use magnets to pull the debri down at just the right angle so it burns up In the atmosphere. I saw that on an episode of eureka, what a great show. There is an EM barrier over the entire city and one of the scientist magnetized it not intending to pull metal out of orbit, then they had to figure out how to save everyone by burning up the space junk before it destroyed the west coast USA

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#818078 - 08/12/16 09:45 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Yea we could do that for part of the debris, but a lot of it is diamagnetic material, meaning that it doesn't react strongly to magnetic fields. It would also be very tricky to control and coordinate orbital maneuvers between either extremely distant magnets, or magnets on board another object in orbit. Even the slightest force between two objects can throw both of the object's orbits off.

I think current protocol for aging satellites is to initiate a controlled re-entry so that the satellite burns up in the atmosphere rather than float out there in orbit, loses contact with the control team, drifts out of orbit, and crashes into something else. That being said, there are several large satellites that have broken in orbit and are now adrift, some weighing as much as 18,000 lbs (Envisat)...which could generate some serious debris if they were to impact something else in orbit. :awesurprise:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#818085 - 08/13/16 07:55 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I like that lake that has a huge hole which all the water drains into, but the lake never dries up.

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#818094 - 08/13/16 04:46 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

:shrug:

I didn't know that such a thing existed.

Preeze, tell me more :pipesmoke:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#818099 - 08/13/16 05:41 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #818373 - 08/21/16 05:54 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

So I was thinking more about the space junk orbiting out planet, stuff in space is weightless right? Couldn't we send a drone and a large net up to the international space station, one of the Astronauts could use the drone to gather up the debris in the net and then send it flying into the sun (making sure it doesn't get close enough to venus/mercury to change the course it's on). I imagine a drone smaller than a person dragging a net/sack the size of a house. I realize this would take forever since the planet is huge.

--------------------
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#818389 - 08/21/16 12:20 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

The guy flying the drone will have to be one hell of a badass cause some of that space junk travels at 17500 mph.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/orbital_debris.html

Plus it's gonna have to be a pretty killer drone.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Magash]
    #818393 - 08/21/16 03:43 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the link, they say the debris travel at up to 17.5k mph but does not give an average speed, I wonder how many are actually going that fast. I had no idea how fast they were moving, I thought they were just kind of floating in orbit slowly going around the planet as it spins. That make the problem much worse than I had envisioned it.

--------------------
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Chemical Addiction] * 1
    #818401 - 08/21/16 05:17 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:
Thanks for the link, they say the debris travel at up to 17.5k mph but does not give an average speed, I wonder how many are actually going that fast. I had no idea how fast they were moving, I thought they were just kind of floating in orbit slowly going around the planet as it spins. That make the problem much worse than I had envisioned it.

Well you have to remember the international space station travels at 17,150 miles per hour (that's about 5 miles per second!) itself. So in some cases a net may work but in other cases when they are coming straight at ya it's their speed plus yours combined for 36650 mph.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+fast+is+the+iss+traveling&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Remember the earth itself moves around the sun at 67000 mph and spins at 460 meters per second--or roughly 1,000 miles per hour.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+fast+is+the+iss+traveling&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=how+fast+is+the+earth+moving+around+the+sun

The fastest thing man made is NASA'S Juno Mission spacecraft will slingshot around Earth towards Jupiter, accelerating to 25 miles per second along the way and becoming the fastest man-made object in history. A .50-caliber bullet travels at about half a mile a second, by contrast -- nowhere near the blistering speed of Juno

To nearest star to us is 4.24 light years away and the fastest thing we have would take 54000 years to get there.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/far-closest-star/

The closest planet other then earth that has water on it and is assumed to be the nearest planet that can support life is Kepler-186f and it's 500 light years away. That is traveling at 186000 miles a second for 500 years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=closest+planet+that+can+support+life&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Magash]
    #818402 - 08/21/16 05:48 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Fucking interesting

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US
    #818404 - 08/21/16 07:19 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, anything in orbit around the earth is constantly being pulled toward the earth, and thus must be moving pretty fast in order to maintain orbit.

Even in geosynchronous orbit, where the satellite is floating stationary with respect to the earth's surface, it must be moving at roughly 6900 mph relative to the earth's center.

Most of the space junk is in low earth orbit (LEO), where the gravitational pull is strongest, and 17,000+ mph is a pretty standard velocity for anything in a mostly circular, stable LEO.

The best way to move stuff like that around is to slightly change its direction and use its momentum to carry it where you want it. This requires precise knowledge of its mass, mass distribution, materials, etc.

And despite the fact that these things are travelling incredibly fast in LEO, they still require crap loads of energy to push put beyond the earth's gravitational influence.

Space is a bitch :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #818412 - 08/21/16 09:58 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Space is a bitch :shrug:

I knew one o my ex's left Texas.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Invisibledrawde
    #818423 - 08/22/16 07:07 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

What if we put big-ass rare earth magnets up there to collect shit into large easier to manage masses?
I guess the distances between things are just far too great. Unless there were someway to oscillate said magnets across trajectories.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Invisibledrawde
Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde]
    #818424 - 08/22/16 07:07 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

It'd be nice to get that shit cleaned up one way or another

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#818425 - 08/22/16 07:12 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Some threads round these parts suck so hard they are pullin space debris as we speak.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#818433 - 08/22/16 08:16 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
What if we put big-ass rare earth magnets up there to collect shit into large easier to manage masses?
I guess the distances between things are just far too great. Unless there were someway to oscillate said magnets across trajectories.

Teach death row inmates to fly giant shuttles equipped with huge electromagnets. Once they have collected a few tons of garbage you hit the auto pilot down here from earth and the death row inmate along with the garbage fly into the sun.

Sorry man I been dabbing hard today

:feelingfab::prettyflyforawhiteguy::fuckyeahdance::girlishjoy::minigun:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies