Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
General Science Thread
    #817989 - 08/10/16 05:49 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

For general science discussion, questions, or thoughts that you guys have but don't want to devote an entire thread to...just throw it in here and we can talk about it a little.

Please keep the dicussion polite, we can joke around without turning into a shit show.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data]
    #817994 - 08/10/16 08:37 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Thoughts or his puppet got to ya huh....

Yeah he can do that. Spews a bunch of stuff but then won't back it up but he does liven it up for a bit till he gets butthurt and the insults start. :nono:

I got into it with him on UFO's. He said they have been here I said nope and it just flew from there. Was fun for a bit though.......:facepalm3:

:ufo::happyweed::ufo:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Magash]
    #817999 - 08/10/16 09:04 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Haha he's a trip, that's for sure.

But it did get the brain juices flowing, and reminded me just how much I love science-related discussion. I'm fine with a little poking fun at each other, but I posted it in the smoke lounge in the hopes that we can get something going without worry about the feeble-minded insults that some threads quickly deteriorate into.

:pipesmoke:

--------------------

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #818005 - 08/10/16 09:56 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

So people are saying that it's difficult or not cost effective to make ocean water drinkable, I was also told that reverse osmosis can remove everything thing from water including the minerals your body needs. What if you took everything out of sea water except the water and then dumped it into the ground to add the minerals you need and raise the water table?

I get random ass thoughts like this going through my head when i'm working but don't always remember them. If I do I will certainly bring them to this thread

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: General Science Thread [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #818009 - 08/10/16 11:22 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

So people are saying that it's difficult or not cost effective to make ocean water drinkable,

Not sure of the cost effective part.
But simply distilling ocean water maakes it very drinkable.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Stoneth]
    #818016 - 08/11/16 09:08 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, the main limiting factor to desalination is energy costs.

Chemical, they actually do use reverse osmosis (membrane desalination) in many new plants through out the world, as it s currently the most efficent desalination process.

A other succesfully implemented method is to vaporize the water under a vacuum, using rhe waste heat from a local power plant. While the efficiency of the distillation process is terrible, the fact that you are using waste heat from a power plant (that was going to be generat ed and wasted anyway) kinda makes up for it.

With membrane desalination (reverse osmosis), a membrane acts as a molecular filter, and dirty water is pumped across the membrane. This requires that some part of the "dirty water" be diverted away from the membrane, in order to keep the dirty side from acculumating too many salts (the higher the difference in salt concentration across the membrane, the harder it is to pump the dirty water across it). So any places where water is very scarce would have some difficulties sacrificing the water needed to keep the membranes clean.

Even the most efficient membrane designs bottom out at about 2kWh/m3 of water, with most operating plants in the 6 - 17 kWh/m3. This is, at best, 10 times the maximum energy requirements for freshwater capture, treatment, and pumping.

Additionally, any solid salts obtained from the process are water soluble, and placing them in the ground would result in poisoning of clean groundwater supplies. Although, the salts could possibly be uses for seasoning (sea salt), road salts, and certain uncommon metals such as manganese, magnesium, and uranium could be further refined from the waste minerals. There is definitely some potential for reclaiming billions of years of natural mining (erosion).

I've always thought that the extremely dry desert regions near certain coat lines of Africa and South America could be utilized for slow but steady solar distillation, as the lack of rain in the atacama desert would prevent too much spread of waste salts and there is little to no interupption in the supply of solar energy. But the cost of construction, and the potential piping system needed to pump the water inland would vastly outweigh the savings in energy costs. :shrug:

It's definitely an interesting topic, and one that's quickly becoming much more important now that water scarcity is becoming a bigger problem.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#818018 - 08/11/16 10:01 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I know growing and some astronomy but cleaning water...........way over my head apparently. I do know if I don't use distilled water when making my spray to make feminized seeds it will hardly work.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Magash]
    #818019 - 08/11/16 10:42 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Is that colloidal silver in your sprays?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#818023 - 08/11/16 03:10 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Nah...When I make seeds I use STS or 1-Methylcyclopropene which are ethylene blockers as is colloidal silver there just better at it.

:happyweed:

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #818028 - 08/11/16 05:06 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I like your answers agmotes, you don't go out of your way to use big words, I generally understand what you're saying. But I wasn't talking about putting the salts and other minerals/metals back into the ground after the RO process, I meant dump the water into the ground so that it would pick up the minerals our bodies need. Would that have a negative effect on the ground water supply, plants or life in general?

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#818031 - 08/11/16 05:24 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Oh I gotcha, and yea that's a great way to constantly generate drinking water and store it for future use without risking significant losses from evaporation. :thumbup:

I can't see any problems with doing that besides the risk of accidental release of contaminates or microbes into a large aquifer...but then again that risk is already present when you start poking wells into an aquifer.

That would also work extremely well in high elevation, desert location for solar distillation. Once the seawater is pumped into surface ponds covered by a clear material (glass or plastic). The clear panes or sheets act to trap the water vapor that forms, and are tilted towards a collector system, such that water condensing on the inner surface drips down into the collection system. The collection system could act like a sewer, directing condensate (clean water) by gravity to a single well. This would allow the clean water to just feed the aquifer below via gravity, as it is created, and the depth of the well pipe would provide the pressure needed to drive fresh water into all of the aquifer volume.

Then, anyone living above the aquifer could just tap into it, rather than running crazy long piping systems from the desalination plant.

That's a pretty solid idea man! Sounds like a feasibility study might be the next step.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #818032 - 08/11/16 05:34 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

The way you describe the surface ponds and evaporation, reminds me of something I learned in school.

There is a shitload of prickly pear cactus where I live. They are mostly water but there is something in it that dehydrates you. So if you are lost in the desert and need water, you dig a hole, skin some of the cactus and put it in the hole, with something to catch the water in the middle. Then you put plastic over it and put a rock in the center. The water evaporates out of the cacti, hits the tarp/plastic and slides down where the rock is weighing it down to fill the cup.

--------------------
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#818034 - 08/11/16 05:50 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

That's actually where I've seen it before too, a way to reclaim water from say a disgusting mud-puddle, cactus (or really any plant material), or even your own urine.

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #818035 - 08/11/16 06:16 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

If the location is already desert sure

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: drawde]
    #818036 - 08/11/16 06:36 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yea, you definitely need to make sure that the land for the solar desalination plant would have to be a barren wasteland in order to justify the magnitude of that kind of construction project.

For any other ecosystem, you would have to try and optimize the maximum water production while minimizing impacts to local marine and terrestrial ecosystems (in which case, a combined power/distillation plant or membrane plant would be the best choice). We need water, but not to the point that we set the world any further off balance, it kinda defeats the point.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#818041 - 08/11/16 08:14 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Why do i get sleepy at night?

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy]
    #818043 - 08/11/16 08:18 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Adenosine and Melatonin

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#818045 - 08/11/16 08:24 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I stopped taking mel. I dont like the dreams.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: Data] * 1
    #818046 - 08/11/16 08:36 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

But really, adenosine builds up as a natural byproduct of brain activity, which binds to adenosing receptors, causing vasodilation (lower blood pressure), and fatigue. Caffeine blocks these receptors, and thus fights fatigue (and causes vasoconstriction).

As the light levels go down at night, melatonin is produced in the brain, which is part of the circadian rythym that sigals the onset of sleep.

Production of melatonin is halted in the presence of blue light, which is why it's a good idea to put away cell phones and tablets before bed. For those people that have trouble sleeping or are suffering from jet lag, melatonin supplements are available to help reset the circadian rythym and as a sleep aid.

As to why we require sleep, there are tons of theories, and to be honest there are probably a ton of different things going on during sleep.

For instance, it's thought that larger, more active brains (such as our own) use sleep as a time to increase brain permeability, such that waste products that build up during the day can be washed away more completely, in order to get the brain chemistry to a very reliable baseline prior to starting back up with heavy activity during waking periods. Another theory is that sleep allows the brain to process through the days experiences, categorize, and burn high-priority stuff into longterm memory. Maybe it's all of the above, combined with the fact that most animals are evolved to survive better when active either during the day or during the night, because it's very difficult to do both without becoming incredibly inefficent...so by crawling into a safe place and staying quiet and still for the part of the day when we are most likely to die helps to increase our chance of passing on our genetics, and thus sleep evolved as a natural advantage for most animals.

That's all I've got :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: General Science Thread [Re: poor boy]
    #818048 - 08/11/16 08:37 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
I stopped taking mel. I dont like the dreams.

Same here, shit gets crazy if I take it before bed.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale