Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Magash]
    #754471 - 10/24/14 05:52 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I'm doing it to all my strains.

OG Kush

Lemon OG Kush (just started this one)

Granddaddy Purple

That's what I'm doing up late it's project work time at night :wink:

:happyweed:

I :heart: OG Kush or most any kush for that matter, always a good yield and great smoke :stoner:

youre fast becoming my fav person around here :omgawesome:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: How I make your seeds [Re: 13buds]
    #754483 - 10/24/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That's great, I wish all breeders put the effort into to it that you do. When you get some fem seeds in let me know, any strain I dont care because I know they'll be good.

--------------------
:firecum:

Invisiblevinsue
GRAND OLD FART
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: 13buds] * 1
    #754527 - 10/24/14 07:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
Quote:

Magash said:
I'm gonna hook up anybody that wants to bore themselves silly watching some old man talk about and demonstrating growing stuff. :shrug:

shit..  thats how I spend most of my days recently :hehehe:
:seniors:

This is good to know, Magash.
It's been so many years since my last grow and things have really changed. I used to just planted a bunch of pots with seeds from good weed, pinch them now and then, cull out the males and hope for the best.

I've found that I can't read or learn enough. I've been vegetable gardening for years, but this stuff is like science class. (I loved science class, BTW)

I'm reading Cannabis Training right now. Then study up some more on nutes, hydroponics, cloning...:takingnotes:
Choosing what strains looks a little overwhelming, though. Probably get something feminized, high THC content, indoor variety. Maybe a pure indica and a pure sativa, as well as some hybrids.:shrug:

Shit I remember when my only choice was 20/oz Mex, or 15 for a 3 finger 'lid' (1970), 30/oz Jamaician (1973)or 40 for Columbian (1975).
There was some hash around back then (red, blond or black opiated) but not too often.
The exotics(Thai stick, Hawaiian, Vietnamese) came a little later...

Thanks for all your contributations Magash.:thumbup:
Same goes for all the other seasoned growers out there.
I've got some catching up to do.:goodmorning: . . . :peace:

--------------------
" One toke over the line...

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#754769 - 10/27/14 03:52 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome post, thanks Magash. Clears up things and makes it nice and straight forward.

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

#754796 - 10/27/14 01:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hell yea thanks for the write up Magash! You're like the grandpa one can only dream of.

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Sham87]
    #755065 - 10/29/14 03:37 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Great write-up.  Not boring at all.  In fact, after reading your posts, I'm interested in breeding myself.  How does one choose a male plant?  Females are easy to choose from, but what makes a male plant good enough to consider it?  I've personally never seen a full grown male plant since we pull them right away lol. 

Also, people keep telling me that breeding them can degrade the genetics.  Not sure how true that is since there are so many mixed opinions on the matter.  Is it better to breed landrace strains over hybrids?  What made you determine what strains you wanted to mix when you created your strains?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: cheezymold]
    #755071 - 10/29/14 05:32 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

How does one choose a male plant?

Pretty much the same way as a female. Smoke some of the male flower and test for how strong it is, taste and so on. Check the growth rates and plant structure.

Quote:

Also, people keep telling me that breeding them can degrade the genetics.

Well if you have a pure Colombian strain and cross a Afghani into it then you don't have the pure Colombian strain anymore so it's true in that sense but we are not short on land race strains to use for making crosses. Then again if it wasn't for breeding we wouldn't have a single one of the medical strains of today. Try to imagine no OG Kush, Granddaddy Purple and so on.

Quote:

What made you determine what strains you wanted to mix when you created your strains?

You kind of have to try and figure out what strains can complement each other.

Take a strain I'm working on now called Bubble Gun. AK47 x Bubble Gum. AK has a strong high with a fast growing structure while Bubble Gum has a strong taste and smell with a shorter flowering time. Now your job is to stabilize the traits from both parents that you like.

:wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Magash] * 1
    #755103 - 10/29/14 02:01 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Smoke the male plants?  Sounds harsh lol. 

I don't get why people on other message boards say shit like that.  The degradation thing didn't make sense to me because some strain's lineage are really complex(according to the breeders).  Stabilizing seems easy enough since most Americans learn how to use a punnet square in grade school. 

I wonder if it is just too much work for big name breeders to stabilize their strains.  Say for example:  Currently I am growing out Moby Dick by Dinafem.  According to what I read, there are three main phenos people look out for in this strain.  The breeder could use your process to stabilize the specific pheno that you want, but some customers prefer the other pheno.  So the breeder pretty much sells 3 products under the same name.  The breeder could just stabilize these traits separately and call the other pheno by a different name.  Then, you have 3 strains and people will buy the specific one that they want and never buy the other one.  It may be an equal amount of sales with the combined 3 strains that they would be selling, but they have to make room to breed the new strain, spend time/money/labor on 3 products instead of a single.  There will also be the issue that since the sales are split between the two, they will have seeds sitting around for longer. 

So what seems to have happened is that these popular strains haven't been stabilized due to a marketing issue(which I doubt is always the case).  It is lazy to a degree since the strain should have been stabilized before it was given a name.  I think that is the beauty of private breeders.  Nobody except the breeder will know what the different phenos are in a strain if it is properly stabilized, eliminating the need for the extra labor and costs for the breeder and grower. 

Sorry I haven't smoked in a few days so my mind thinks way too deeply lol.  I guess in short, The world needs more quality private breeders :grin:

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

#755104 - 10/29/14 02:12 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Mag you're a herbal alchemist. :wizard:

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Sham87]
    #755109 - 10/29/14 02:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Sham87 I appreciate the comment. :thumbup:

Quote:

I wonder if it is just too much work for big name breeders to stabilize their strains.

Nope their just to fucking lazy or greedy. Now if they were smart they would sell their normal F1s that are unstable to breeders who  may be interested in a lot of phenos. Then there is the stable version for people that don't want different phenos with varying flowering times and so on.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #755175 - 10/29/14 08:45 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

is there a good way to store the male pollen from the original father plant for later breeding with the F2 seeds? or should i be taking clones of the original father plant until i get to that point in the breeding process?

im tempted to try this now... ive had something in mind all day since i read this post. sounds like a fun experiment. i'd love to make my own strain :smile: i've got a couple crosses in mind that would be kinda cool.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: CrushNazT]
    #755179 - 10/29/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You can store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Many say even longer but that is the longest I've kept it. Takes longer to do but nowadays I use fresh pollen every-time.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#755185 - 10/29/14 09:16 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

so do you just keep cloning the original father to get the fresh pollen for that 3rd cross to make the F3s?

i hope it lasts longer than 6 months. especially if i have to grow the F1 seeds out, breed plants to make the F2s and THEN back cross with the original father's pollen. how exactly do you do that in that time frame, or like i said, do you just keep cloning the original father for fresh pollen?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: CrushNazT]
    #755188 - 10/29/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

so do you just keep cloning the original father to get the fresh pollen for that 3rd cross to make the F3s?

Yeah I just take one or two clones from the father. Then I flower those and collect the pollen from them.

Quote:

or like i said, do you just keep cloning the original father for fresh pollen?

Yeah if I'm not pressured for time. I also freeze some of the pollen but it never last more then the current batch of seeds being made.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Magash] * 1
    #755200 - 10/30/14 06:11 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

sweet. thanks for the help mag!!!

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #807407 - 03/06/16 04:38 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

So did you ever make a video?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #807411 - 03/06/16 07:27 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Yeah but I never posted it. I need to edit it and never did. I have to shorten my long winded explanations of everything.

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#807421 - 03/06/16 10:00 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars: What the hell ? You better get off your butt and get it done! 

Just bustin your balls lol I  would love to watch your vids Mag,learn me something!

:bigjoint:

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Loc: west/east WA
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #807426 - 03/06/16 11:02 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

:mad2: people selling F1s is Bulls hit

Wannabees...

A real breeder wouldn't want to let his f1s seeds go. U might have given away ur best F1 you will ever get...

Strains should be stable when sold imo. A bunch of random phenos equals a bunch of shit seeds lol... well not really but I'd never buy from a seed bank that I got unstable seeds from ever again don't care what strains they have their missing the love.

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

This is exactly how I grow

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (03/06/16 11:03 PM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Loc: west/east WA
Re: How I make your seeds [Re: Nevar44]
    #807428 - 03/06/16 11:31 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

I was recently gifted 20 f3 seeds. Can't get the p1 momma tho...

What would be best to do mag?

Btw is the lemon like a lemon kush from cali... or is it like all the citrus piney lemony stuff that goes around?

Lemon kush x og prob fiiiiire

Not sure about other lemons tho? ??

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

This is exactly how I grow

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (03/06/16 11:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals