Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger
1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow
    #779218 - 05/19/15 08:44 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Growery Folk-

I've been a lurker for awhile, about to attempt a first time Hempy Bucket Apartment Grow.  I'm all geared up and just waiting for my seeds to arrive (late May - early June hopefully).

I live in an apartment, which I own, so no landlord issues.  I have a large balcony right off my intended indoor grow space.  So these plants will be moved inside/outside as needed (to manage temperature, best exposure to direct light etc.)

My tools:
2 x 3 Gallon Square Buckets

Perlite / Vermiculite blend (What is best here 3:1 or 4:1?)

4 x 42W CFL (600W equivalent total) for two plants already on a sunny window sill with frosted glass. It's only 3 square feet so i figure with the CFL and the sunlight, plus mylar siding on the window box, I should be good for Auto Flowers.  I am using two gooseneck type, spring adjustable lamps with adjustable socket splitters in each one that can be positioned to side of the plants (hoping this gets enough lumens to the lower part of the plant).

Oscillating fan to keep things moving on the sill when indoors.

FF Nute Trio (Grow Big, Hydroponic Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom)

Sledgehammer Flush

Digital pH Reader with pH up and pH down

Digital PPM Reader

De-chlorinating water and will pH to 5.8.  FF Nute mix will also get pH to 5.8

What I've got coming.  Deciding what to plant first:
AK-47 Autoflowering Feminized
Heavyweight Massive Midget Auto Autoflowering Feminized
Auto Candy Kush Autoflowering Feminized
Northern Lights x Big Bud Feminized (not AutoFlower so probably won't plant this season)

Anyone have any advice to share on my particulars?  My biggest questions and the best advice i could use right now is how to adjust the FF Hydro feeding schedule to Passive Hydro hemp bucket with Auto Flowers on a shorter grow cycle.  Anyone have some advice for this noob?

MrMojoRisin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: MrMojoRisin]
    #779224 - 05/19/15 10:31 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

The person who needs to see this is Stoneth. I believe he is into the hempy buckets. Myself I think I'd use something similar to a soil feeding schedule.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #779233 - 05/19/15 11:40 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Perlite / Vermiculite blend (What is best here 3:1 or 4:1?)

I'd say 3:1, tho personally I use straight perlite.
As for ph drop to 5.5 or for the gh ph drops testers orange.
Quote:

how to adjust the FF Hydro feeding schedule to Passive Hydro hemp bucket with Auto Flowers on a shorter grow cycle.

Use at half the recommended ppm at first and work up if the plants allow it.
And for autos I'd start at week 5 on their feeding chart, since autos start off flowering.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: Stoneth]
    #779237 - 05/19/15 12:28 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I've grown autos and find they do best on 18/6 schedule. Also you harvest autos by leave color not trichromes. I like to let them flower for 10-12 weeks.

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger
    #779241 - 05/19/15 01:36 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Huge thanks for the reply!

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #779242 - 05/19/15 01:38 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting and thank you for the reply.  i thought Autos are usually ready in 8-9 weeks from seed?  I'm cool waiting for better quality results if longer flowering period is encouraged.  What type of leaf color change should i be looking out for in that case?  BTW, Yield is not as important as quality to me.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#779450 - 05/21/15 10:12 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

why are you choosing to run autos if you don't mind me asking ?

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: dmtcorey]
    #779470 - 05/21/15 01:49 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dmtcorey said:

Well, it really comes down to the space I have available to use for this endeavor.  I live in an apartment and can't really do a proper grow (say in a tent or grow box).

I have a very sunny 12" deep x 32" wide window sill.  It has a south/southwest exposure and gets amazing light.  I also have a balcony right next tooth window that gets better eastern facing light,so I can move the plants in and out depending on the weather/exposure.  I can keep it between 70-80 degrees in the sill as well.

I also invested in CFL's to supplement them when indoors.

It's a grand experiment.  1st grow and my concerns are not so much with yield as much as they lie with quality and learning.

Have you ever grown Autos?

Thank you for the interest and response.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #779471 - 05/21/15 02:07 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MrMojoRisin said:
What type of leaf color change should i be looking out for in that case?

Usually yellow.

http://www.autoflower.net/forums/index.php?threads/when-to-harvest-autos-your-leaves-will-tell-you.4889/

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger

#779475 - 05/21/15 02:26 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Quote:

MrMojoRisin said:
What type of leaf color change should i be looking out for in that case?

Usually yellow.

http://www.autoflower.net/forums/index.php?threads/when-to-harvest-autos-your-leaves-will-tell-you.4889/

That's a great site!  Thanks very much!

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#779485 - 05/21/15 03:17 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MrMojoRisin said:
Quote:

dmtcorey said:

Well, it really comes down to the space I have available to use for this endeavor.  I live in an apartment and can't really do a proper grow (say in a tent or grow box).

I have a very sunny 12" deep x 32" wide window sill.  It has a south/southwest exposure and gets amazing light.  I also have a balcony right next tooth window that gets better eastern facing light,so I can move the plants in and out depending on the weather/exposure.  I can keep it between 70-80 degrees in the sill as well.

I also invested in CFL's to supplement them when indoors.

It's a grand experiment.  1st grow and my concerns are not so much with yield as much as they lie with quality and learning.

Have you ever grown Autos?

Thank you for the interest and response.

I have grown autos once before and it was an outdoor project ,they flowered for about 10 weeks but now I stick to non autos being if you find an amazing plant with the quality's your looking for you can take cuttings and keep it forever with gives you the basis of consistent quality and your not playing a hit and miss game with every crop.

I also have a balcony facing south west and get sun from 1230 on ,im definitely exited about this years project.

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #779487 - 05/21/15 03:35 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You can clone autos via Tissue culture.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#779488 - 05/21/15 03:36 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You can get small plants from regular seeds if you veg with CFL's and keep the CFL really close and grow in small 1/2gal - 3 gallon planters. You can keep most plants under 2 ft. Some of the hybrid/sativa strains stretch like crazy no matter what you do, but you can still keep them small. you won't get much yield doing this technique, but I'd rather have low yield from regular genetics than some gross Ruderalis crossed genetics.

idk how hard it is to get a good autoflower plant from seed but it can be hard finding a good plant from regular seed, but with those you can take cuttings and keep mothers, while with autoflower you would have to constantly plant new seeds and just hope they don't suck. unless you find a very stabilized autoflower strain in seed that doesn't suck.

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger

Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #779496 - 05/21/15 04:57 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
You can get small plants from regular seeds if you veg with CFL's and keep the CFL really close and grow in small 1/2gal - 3 gallon planters. You can keep most plants under 2 ft. Some of the hybrid/sativa strains stretch like crazy no matter what you do, but you can still keep them small. you won't get much yield doing this technique, but I'd rather have low yield from regular genetics than some gross Ruderalis crossed genetics.

idk how hard it is to get a good autoflower plant from seed but it can be hard finding a good plant from regular seed, but with those you can take cuttings and keep mothers, while with autoflower you would have to constantly plant new seeds and just hope they don't suck. unless you find a very stabilized autoflower strain in seed that doesn't suck.

I've read of some folks getting good results with the newer autos.  Not huge yields, but good quality.  I think they've come along ways in recent years.   

I've got 3 different auto strains that just arrived.  Will germinate 2 this weekend as the weather is a little cool right now. 

Will let you know how it goes.  Fingers crossed that if I take good care, don't over water, blast them with enough light whether indoors or out, follow a sensible Nute regimen, flush, dry and cure i will end up something to smoke!

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#779517 - 05/21/15 08:10 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

true.. but you still don't see autos winning cups

--------------------

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger

#779560 - 05/22/15 06:17 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

100% True.  I'm just hoping for a decent return and a lot of gained knowledge to apply to my future endeavors.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#779913 - 05/25/15 01:09 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Oh hey also if you want to keep your plants smaller you can remove 1/3 or 1/2 the newest larger fan/sugar leaves in veg and it can dramatically reduce the size of the branch you remove them from. I don't know if this works for all plants, but it sure as hell works on this green crack I have. I assume it reduces the energy given to the branch.

Goodluck on your grow btw!

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #779917 - 05/25/15 02:29 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Oh hey also if you want to keep your plants smaller you can remove 1/3 or 1/2 the newest larger fan/sugar leaves in veg and it can dramatically reduce the size of the branch you remove them from. I don't know if this works for all plants, but it sure as hell works on this green crack I have. I assume it reduces the energy given to the branch.

This is a good question.
Hope one of the TC's can answer this.

I would like to know too.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st Time Hempy Bucket - Apartment Grow [Re: KaptKid]
    #779919 - 05/25/15 02:51 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure torturing aka stressing the shit out of the plant, would slow growth or maybe worse.  I'd recommend cutting the plant back, long before removing large numbers of leaves.  There are many training methods that can be used with much less stress imo.

OfflineMrMojoRisin
Stranger

#780204 - 05/28/15 07:52 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
I'm sure torturing aka stressing the shit out of the plant, would slow growth or maybe worse.  I'd recommend cutting the plant back, long before removing large numbers of leaves.  There are many training methods that can be used with much less stress imo.

Since this is my first grow and i'm just getting aquatinted with the the processes required for success, I'm not sure i will attempt to Top, FIM etc.  i may try a  little LST however.

Can anyone with experience growing AutoFlowers weigh in on this?  Any success with LST or other techniques on AF strains?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds