Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

i need help guys.
    #765153 - 01/12/15 03:38 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

im just gonna make this short and simple. I have a bunch of seeds I acquired of 3 different strains, and I've tried the cup of water and paper towel trick to germinate. I've had little success with both and the ones I did get to crack and sprout a little taproot never popped up, its been about a week since the root popped and its just been sitting in it's little cube , I have a heat mat that turns off every 2 hours and I have my cups of water & paper towels also on top along with the 4 seeds I got to pop, I see usually within 3-5 days people already have a little sprout I don't really understand why im not having much success can anyone give me some insight on what they think is wrong ? :sad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: i need help guys. [Re: stinkytrees]
    #765155 - 01/12/15 04:07 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

How old are they? were did they come from? might just be junk swag seeds? There are a few of us that have had trouble like this and turned out that they were like 4 years old!

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

Re: i need help guys. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #765156 - 01/12/15 04:10 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't even know, and I don't wanna crack one in half to check the inside because theres only a few left. there nice and plump, they don't look that old

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#765159 - 01/12/15 04:14 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Can you get a pic of them what color and if you queses one it should be hard , if it brakes there no good

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #765163 - 01/12/15 04:38 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

How warm were the seeds in the paper towel?

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

Re: i need help guys. [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #765164 - 01/12/15 04:54 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

i have the heat mat on low, the water is warm when I dip the tip of my pinky in it

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #765166 - 01/12/15 05:04 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Heat mat may sometimes do more harm than good... sometimes heat brings unwanted bacteria too, and it seems you're unsure of the actual temp.

When I germinate seeds I just use a damp paper towel/napkin:

{ Wet a paper towel and squeeze out the water until its quite damp but not sopping (the key step).
Fold it and place the seeds so they're separate from eachother. Place the folded paper towel in a baggie and set it in your dresser drawer or someplace you'll see it and not forget. }

You could try this if nothing else you're doing works out. This is how I do it & I have a very high success rate. My seeds are valuable to me so I stick to what works...(for me).

Edit: I could also add that some of my seeds are 20 yrs old...
I store my seeds in the FREEZER & stand by that method for personal seed preservation

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

#765168 - 01/12/15 05:08 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

BLACKBERRY

all 3 together blackberry beans are the fattest

it's a bit chilly in my house that's why I had the heat mat, and I don't really have any warm areas in my house, do you think it would work better wthout the mat ?

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#765170 - 01/12/15 05:44 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not exactly sure or familiar with what procedure you're doing on the whole cup of water thing... how cold are you talking about? Warmth helps germination and young plants for sure but like I said it can also bring rot/fungus/bacteria. Especially if TOO warm. 

You could always do what folks did a hundred years ago haha... put the seeds in cups of soil.

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: i need help guys. [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #765201 - 01/12/15 09:42 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Man its not that hard. Just put them in a paper towel and put them on the frig. check them every day to make sure the stay damp not soaking wet!

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: i need help guys. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #765205 - 01/12/15 10:09 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I put a drop of water in a solo cup and put the seed in, put another solo cup on top to seal, you now have a mini humidity dome for your seed, place on something warm.  :shrug:

thats what I do :gethigh:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

Re: i need help guys. [Re: 13buds]
    #765428 - 01/13/15 11:34 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

sheeeeeit let me try that. I ditched the heat mat since it kept turning off by itself and tried germing on a old radiator, I got 2/3 so far, im gonna try that solo cup method and report back on my findings  in a day or 2, im thinking the inconsistency of the temperature is what caused the retarded germ rate

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

#765854 - 01/15/15 11:11 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

i finally got the beans to pop, but watsup with my  cotyledons and first mini leafs ? they are purple, i was just wondering if the whole thing is going to be like that and if so how can i secure these genetics and ensure that every bean i drop pops a purple plant ? i have another sprout and stem is purple and the cotyledons are green. strain is blackberry.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#765855 - 01/16/15 12:05 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds a bit early to say exactly what you actually have.  You will find variance in a batch of seeds from the same parents .
They call these "phenotypes" . The seeds have the same genetics or genotype. The phenotype is the individual expression of these genes.

In a way, seeds are like brothers & sisters. My brother is taller than me, but im better looking and smarter.( :smile: )..ect

One of the ways to narrow this down is to select the desired phenotype and cross it with itself.

The way to get absolutely identical plants is cloning that plant with the desired traits.

If you were planning on this possibility, I would recommend cloning one of each prior to flowering in case you do want it.  That way you can take the test subject to the completion of flowering to analyze it and if you wanna run with it, the clone is there. Cloning in flowering is possible but not desirable or as easy. It also stresses the clone.
      When I do this, if I like the genetics, the little clone will become the "mother" or, plant to be held in vegetive state  from which all new clones will come from. 

I hope this helps

--------------------

Offlinestinkytrees
Stranger

Re: i need help guys. [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #765857 - 01/16/15 12:59 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

you actually did, thanks peter griffin ! :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder