Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

hello need help starting my first grow
    #756918 - 11/12/14 12:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

hi im new to the forum mostly on the shroomery but im starting my first grow and thought this would be a better place to ask these questions

1.how should i start should i grow the plant in a plug then when i see roots i move it to my 5 gallon bucket style dwc, or should i just put the plug in when it sprouts and not wait for for the roots to develop

2. also gonna be growing auto shark but in a 3 gallon smart pot with foxfarm ocean and forest how long will the soil last before i need to adds nutes, or will it be fine from seed to harvest

3. i got several fem seeds sharkbreath, auroma, lemon kush headband, and bluedream i cant deside who to plant in the dwc anyone have expereince with these strain im currently leaning towards sharksbreath due to it not being so stinkey but which one would you guys recommend for the dwc

also what kind of nutes you guys recommend im currently thinking of gowing with foxfarm nutes but i heard it can run a little hot

any help would be appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

Re: hello need help starting my first grow [Re: Alex Roivas]
    #756919 - 11/12/14 12:31 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

also got 2 four foot long t5 lights i just got for 25 at a hydroshop they gave me deal on the cause they were used in the display area but they also throw in new bulb to go with them

can they provide enough light for 3 plants ?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756925 - 11/12/14 01:15 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

t5 bulbs are like 54 watts, so that's 100 watts or so total of not very bright light. Put it this way, if you can't go blind by looking at it, it's probably not good for growing weed.

For a new grower I'd suggest building a cab, using a closet, buying a tent, or building a room. You want to use HID or your results are going to likely be half assed, I've seen some passable bud grown from CFLs but never from T5s.

If you decide to go HPS, you're going to want around 50w per sq foot, so a 2x4 cab is going to need 200w which you'd round up to 250. So either match your grow space to an appropriate light or vice versa.

You're also going to want ventilation at about 50-70%/minute for volume, more if temps are an issue, there's many factors.

As far as nutrient consumption goes, there's also a lot of factors. #1 is going to be your light. You can grow a house plant under natural sunlight in your window for 9 months over the course of fall and winter and you might not run out of nutrients. The same plant grown under HID is going to grow bigger and need more nutrients. Another thing to consider is pot size, with a well amended soil you can grow canna for 3months in a 5 gal pot, more or less you may need to irrigate fertilizer near the end a couple of times all things depending.

Why are you talking about both soil and DWC?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

Re: hello need help starting my first grow [Re: captain.koons]
    #756926 - 11/12/14 01:21 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

yea im using both was planning on using to soil for the auto though
and the dwc for a normal plant gonna be having em in a big walk in closet till my apollo grow tent gets here

thanks for the heads up about the lights mainly been using them for my shrooms

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756928 - 11/12/14 01:26 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

What size tent are you getting? I'm thinking of getting an Apollo tent myself.

What do you mean a normal plant? Id stick to one system, mediumless hydroponics like DWC is going to be one of the easiest to fuck up. IMO just use soil, or peat moss, or coco and keep it simple. I'd personally recommend coco, general hydroponics maxi grow/bloom or floranova grow/bloom or flora micro and bloom fed at pH 6-6.2 and maintain a 20% run off each watering to avoid problems. Easier than soil.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

#756930 - 11/12/14 01:32 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

im getting this one Apollo Horticulture 48"x24"x60"
its not that big but it seems like it can hold maybe 3 plants

by normal i mean non auto
bye the way which strain do you think would be good for my first grow currently got sharksbreath, lemon kush headband, auroma, and blue dream
they are all feminized except the bluedream

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756931 - 11/12/14 02:17 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Those are from DNA Genetics?  For a first time grower I would suggest the most stable genetics possible as they will be more forgiving. I'd also probably recommend a 50;50 hybrid or more indica dominant for the same reason.

Your tent is 4x2x5' that's super short, you would most definitely need to aircool a HPS or buy LEDs or something. You need to consider a few things, the loss of height from hanging the lights, the loss of height from the pots or the total size of the plants + pots, and the space you need between the lights and the plant tops so they don't burn. You could get them within ~6 inches with an aircooled hood if you pick out your aircooled hood you could run  2 x 250w. So you'll be able to grow say a 2.5 - 2.75 ft tall plant which is quite short but possible. Realistically you could grow 8 plants in that tent from seed, I'd go with zero flower time.

I'd suggest a low nitrogen fertilizer better yet one from organic sources to reduce stretch, organic fertilizers are higher in urea which isn't as bioavailable as nitrates and ammonia so the plant doesn't grow as quickly vertically and branches tend to grow wider. Something like Pure Blend Pro and Cal Mag would work wonderfully or the General Hydoponics or Floranova or General Organics. All of them are simple to use but the General Organics or PBP would probably be better for controlling vertical growth. You can use whatever medium you want but soilless is probably going to be the easiest. Peat I don't like for plants that will be grown for a long time as it breaks down and becomes mud, in a 12/12 from seed grow it would probably be great. I would still prefer coco as coco you can water until run off without saturating the medium so it's painfully simple.You can also support a lot of roots in a small amount of coco.

What I'd do if I were you is, get 8 pots that are around 10" preferably square and around 2 gals, this is what you'll transplant to and start 10 feminized seeds in jiffy pellets or whatever you want and transfer right into the ~2gal pots once rooted. You're going to pick the 8 most vigorous of the 10 assuming all 10 germinate.

You might benefit from veg time, but you might also run out of vertical space, so I would just suggest 12/12 from seed.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

#756933 - 11/12/14 02:31 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

cool i havnt actually ordered the tent yet but if its to short thet got a nother tent only 20 bucks more and its 80x 48x48 so ill just go with it i may just do coco since i already got a couple of bricks of it and if i can save up some bread ima go out and buy led panel or at least a light that can support my babys

thanks for the help

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756934 - 11/12/14 02:33 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

the 80 inch will be fine and you could run HPS in it np.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

#756936 - 11/12/14 02:48 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

yea but untill then i got plenty of space n my walk in closet for a couple of plants

OfflineAlex Roivas
Stranger

#756938 - 11/12/14 02:51 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

well its 3;50 am and ive been drinking lean all night
its time for me to hit the sack
goodnight

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756940 - 11/12/14 03:03 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Goodnight, feel free to bring any questions you have to the appropriate forums.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblevinsue
GRAND OLD FART
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #756951 - 11/12/14 05:31 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Good stuff, capt.    :threadmonitor:  . . . :peace:

--------------------
" One toke over the line...

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hello need help starting my first grow [Re: vinsue]
    #756957 - 11/12/14 06:11 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:-)

TO the OP:

Whatever tent or room you go with, you want to follow some guidelines.

50-70% of the volume of your room should be evacuated each minute. This is for fresh air and to introduce co2, this number is just a figure some people go as high as 3-5 times a minute which is insane and will dehydrate your plants and some people go 20% a minute or once every 5 minutes, this is too low IMO but they get by.

You also want to aim for 50 w/ sq ft for lighting by way of HPS, so for a 4x2 tent you'd be running 2 x 250, in a 4x4 you would probably run around 1kw or you could do 2 x 400-430s in a single cool tube or batwing like reflector. Watts/4 will get you your air cooled bulb exhaust number, so if I'm running 1kw/4 = 250 cfm this is only my exhaust for my light.

If you're running non air cooled lights you're going to have to raise that number quite a bit, which again will lead to excessive air exchanges and dehydrated plants. I used to exhaust too much, I got my exhaust in check while maintaining environmental conditions and my yields went up significantly 5-15% in most cases. These lights can be cooled by having fans blowing over the bulbs pointed towards the exhaust which will cool the room better.

If running a charcoal filter, you need to match your filter with the fan, the CFM of the fan when calculating the exhaust cfm is roughly cut in half.

Regardless of following these guidelines you want to make sure your environmental factors are in check, you want your daytime temps to be 78F nighttime to be 70-72F this should be measured at the canopy slightly lower is fine for daytime, you want your RH to be between 50-60% not lower and not higher. There's various reasons for all this, environmental conditions are far more important than your nutrient schedule so I'd try to get my environment in check then play around with your nutrients and what not.

If you follow all that you should be golden.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale