Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Silicon
    #712034 - 02/06/14 09:51 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So after reading some recommendations here and another site I bought a quart of DG pro-tekt. It says on the directions to use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp for every gallon and to use with every watering.

That sounds excessive, will using this stuff every time I feed/water my plants harm them in any way? I think I'm going with the 1/4 tsp. Also will there really be any noticeable benefits or is this something that will just help a little?

--------------------
:firecum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Silicon [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #712077 - 02/06/14 10:49 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

nope not excessive at all. I use a silica supp every watering and feeding through veg and flower. the silica will strengthen cell walls of the plant resulting in stronger stalks and branches. You're also gonna see the plants deal with stress better and resist pests and disease.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Silicon [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #712082 - 02/06/14 11:04 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Nice, thanks. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long to start using this stuff then.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #712177 - 02/06/14 03:07 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thats the stuff I use, its good. I've been feeding nearly every watering without any problems.

The real concern with it is mixing it up properly, they say to mix it into mixed/pH'd nutrients, but I also make sure to mix it with 2L of water before mixing into the nutrients, otherwise you can sometimes see some cloudyness show up, either right where you drop it in, or the whole lot of it.  Silica will react with nutrients and form solids if you don't do it properly, any cloudiness means that solids are forming and you added it wrong.

Mix with water first and then add it to pH adjusted nutrients and you'll be fine.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Silicon [Re: phychotron]
    #712179 - 02/06/14 03:12 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

Mix with water first and then add it to pH adjusted nutrients and you'll be fine.

So I have a gallon of water...add the pro-tekt, then adjust the ph, then add nutes to the gallon then adjust ph again? Or do I just add it to say a cup of water and pour it in the gallon of ph adjusted nutes?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #712181 - 02/06/14 03:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Mix your gallon of nutrients up, pH adjust it. Add your silica to (~2 cups?) water, pour those 2 cups into the gallon. Re-adjust pH as needed, silica makes it go up.

You can learn your solution and be able to pH the nutrients lower than usual expecting the silica to swing it up into where you wanted. Just gotta experiment, make sure to write down your nutrient solution and it will make it easier (excel spreadsheet)

You need to LOWER the energy level of the silica molecules, by surrounding it with water it becomes less reactive. The water absorbs/surrounds the charge of the silica ion and keeps it from interacting with other ions, as they are also covered in water doing the same.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #712182 - 02/06/14 03:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It's one of the few additives that I feel really do anything. Especially good at helping against heat stress.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#712183 - 02/06/14 03:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Mix your gallon of nutrients up, pH adjust it. Add your silica to (~2 cups?) water, pour those 2 cups into the gallon.

You need to LOWER the energy level of the silica molecules, by surrounding it with water it becomes less reactive.

Got it, thanks. So far Ive only been watering with it but I need to feed tomorrow. Do you use 1/4 tsp per gallon or 1/2?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Silicon [Re: bEelzeBosS] * 1
    #712184 - 02/06/14 03:27 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I edited that last post a little.

I use 12-15ml per 4 gallons.

1tsp = 5mL
1tbs = 15mL

stop using tea/table spoons, its retarded.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #712185 - 02/06/14 03:29 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, and its good to use a black marker on the bottle and write down "general: X mL/gallon" and "foliar: x mL/gallon" so you can read it easily and don't have to convert in the future.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#712186 - 02/06/14 03:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

stop using tea/table spoons, its retarded.

Just going by what the bottle says but yeah I agree...Ive been using measuring spoons but I have a med dispenser somewhere.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #712187 - 02/06/14 03:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I got a bunch of 3ml pipettes/droppers of Amazon for cheap, like $7 for 500, they're about twice that now, but still good to have around especially when mixing small batches of nutrients (under 5gal)

Edit: those prices bounce up and down at amazon, just watch an item for awhile and they'll even email you when the price goes down sometimes.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (02/06/14 03:55 PM)

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#712196 - 02/06/14 04:13 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I use the dropper my PH up/down kit came with for adjusting ph, rinsing it out with tap water in between tests...Im sure that probably throws the readings off a little. A bunch of disposable droppers would be nice.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #712330 - 02/06/14 08:52 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ya, I had one 1ml that I was using for everything, then I lost it and ordered them almost that same day. I notice that they also have 7ml pipettes which I would probably get over the 3ml since they both have .5ml graduation.

On the bottles you can just tape a piece of a wide drinking straw, or cardboard to make a holder for the pipette and you can use the same one over and over again on the same nutrient without contaminating it or having to get a new one every time.

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
    #712798 - 02/07/14 11:38 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Just ordered some protect because of this thread. Definitely seems like a smart investment.
Thanks guys!

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Silicon [Re: TribalSeed]
    #713130 - 02/08/14 03:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I ordered a 500 pack as well

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder