Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegman7104
Stranger
Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water?
    #710352 - 01/29/14 01:59 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

my friend has 3 medium sized plants in a 4 gallon tote, yeah i know...  :facepalm:

but they are surprisingly doing fine but theres one thing I never considered. water needs to be added every 4-6 days because the plants suck it up. Should this water have nutes added to maintain the concentration, or should fresh water be added? My friend whos done this before says hes always added fresh water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: gman7104]
    #710358 - 01/29/14 05:27 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What's up gman. Welcome to the growery :vaped:

Are we talking topping off a rez or just watering/feeding plants in a soilless medium?

I assume since you're talking about "losing" water that you're doing hydro, but more info would be helpful.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #710389 - 01/29/14 09:28 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
What's up gman. Welcome to the growery :vaped:

Are we talking topping off a rez or just watering/feeding plants in a soilless medium?

I assume since you're talking about "losing" water that you're doing hydro, but more info would be helpful.

Surprisingly, I think he is using soil. In that case, water them when need be... And when you do water, make sure you add your nutes after you saturate the soil, otherwise you will just be providing nutes to the edges of the pots.  But still, only add nutes when neeeeddd be. You should have your schedule no? Post it up here, we can help a lot better if you fill out the questionnaire and provide pictures. Cheers mate,

~Skunk

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: SacajaGanja]
    #710390 - 01/29/14 09:41 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SacajaGanja said:
And when you do water, make sure you add your nutes after you saturate the soil, otherwise you will just be providing nutes to the edges of the pots.  But still, only add nutes when neeeeddd be. You should have your schedule no? Post it up here, we can help a lot better if you fill out the questionnaire and provide pictures.
~Skunk

I have to disagree with you skunk.

OP..if you are actually using soil DO NOT saturate the medium and then water w/ nutes. Mix your nutrient solution and water as usual. If you notice water rapidly running out the bottom of the container then slow down the watering so that the water doesn't over flow and run down the inside walls of your container and out the bottom.

Also skunk,  there is no questionnaire to fill out in the mc forum, just the doc diagnosis forum.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #710393 - 01/29/14 09:59 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
Quote:

SacajaGanja said:
And when you do water, make sure you add your nutes after you saturate the soil, otherwise you will just be providing nutes to the edges of the pots.  But still, only add nutes when neeeeddd be. You should have your schedule no? Post it up here, we can help a lot better if you fill out the questionnaire and provide pictures.
~Skunk

I have to disagree with you skunk.

OP..if you are actually using soil DO NOT saturate the medium and then water w/ nutes. Mix your nutrient solution and water as usual. If you notice water rapidly running out the bottom of the container then slow down the watering so that the water doesn't over flow and run down the inside walls of your container and out the bottom.

Also skunk,  there is no questionnaire to fill out in the mc forum, just the doc diagnosis forum.

I apologize if I had made a mistake. But often some soils will seem to drain way more proficiently than other soils we use. It has happened to me before, just wanted to say hey perhaps check for this. I can run 5 gallons through my soil, and sometimes the inside will not even be remotely saturated, let alone moist. What I do is saturate, nute, let dry out fully, water, dry out fully-repeat. Cheers mate's,

~Skunk

-Edit- Typo on repeat. Was repear.

Edited by SacajaGanja (01/29/14 10:00 AM)

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

#710395 - 01/29/14 10:02 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Seems like he needs more info than what we are given anyways, so I believe a questionnaire should be filled out for all new posts given we have no knowledge of what we are trying to help him with...

~Skunk

Offlinegman7104
Stranger
    #710546 - 01/30/14 12:01 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys thanks for the responses and I apologize for leaving out the details.

There are 3 plants in a hydro set up. The plants are in a modified 4 gallon storage tote with an airstone under a 400 watt HPS.

The 4 gallon storage tote is way too small and that is the problem, the plants suck up the water fast. A gallon had to be added after just 2 and a half days.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #710574 - 01/30/14 09:56 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe make yourself a top-off rez? Buy a float valve and install it in the side of the tub where you want your water line to be. Then you can add a larger tank or bucket that can gravity-feed into the tote's rez as the plants drink up the water...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: Tank333]
    #710674 - 01/30/14 05:02 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

And to answer the question, you will need to top off with nutrient water.  Otherwise you are going to start seeing deficiencies.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinegman7104
Stranger
Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #710756 - 01/30/14 11:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

should I top it off using the same nutrient formula as usual?

The problem I see is that the plants are not going to use all the nutrients at a constant rate, so without a ppm meter I would have no way of determining whether or not im putting too much in.

I would buy a top off chamber but it isnt my grow. The person probably is not going to invest anymore money since its in bud stage so I was wondering the best way to keep the TDS proper because I don't fully understand the science of the TDS and whatnot.

Edited by gman7104 (01/30/14 11:55 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710758 - 01/31/14 12:41 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well if you don't have a pm meter, you should just top off with water through the week, then change the whole res out every week

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinegman7104
Stranger
Re: Am I supposed to add nutes when I replace lost water? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #710985 - 02/02/14 01:53 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

ok thanks thats what he said to do

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds