Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Running into problems with sprouts
    #693538 - 11/13/13 12:54 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I attempted to start from seed. All was going well until a week in, when my sprouts started to fall over. Eventually the stems started to thin, almost to a thread, and a couple of them are shriveling up.

I've strung them up on poles, and a few of them I have planted deeper. 7/10 still look green and healthy but the others look like they're dying. Anyhow, they aren't growing.

I'm thinking of getting a fan for these, adding more light, and making deeper cups full of coco coir.

Any other suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #693539 - 11/13/13 01:02 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

It depends on what's causing it.  You could be over watering, or feeding.  Not enough light could be a  part of an overall less than ideal growing condition.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #693545 - 11/13/13 02:34 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Killing seedlings with kindness is a common mistake newer growers make.  Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly. 

OP, does the water flow from the top of the soil immediately out of the bottom of your growing container(s) when you water the seedlings?  The 3 that are problematic may have been stunted.  They might not even recover though.  Try to save them anyway. 

Adding more light, getting a fan and transplanting into a bigger container are all great ideas.  Instead of coco coir as your growing medium though for this grow I'd consider going with a nice soil-less mix including a 40/60% mix of perlite to a premium brand top soil.  Also, be sure the new growing containers have plenty of holes at the bottom for satisfactory water drainage.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #693550 - 11/13/13 03:39 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cyclonicthunder said:
Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly.

OP, does the water flow from the top of the soil immediately out of the bottom of your growing container(s) when you water the seedlings?  The 3 that are problematic may have been stunted.  They might not even recover though.  Try to save them anyway.

Adding more light, getting a fan and transplanting into a bigger container are all great ideas.  Instead of coco coir as your growing medium though for this grow I'd consider going with a nice soil-less mix including a 40/60% mix of perlite to a premium brand top soil.  Also, be sure the new growing containers have plenty of holes at the bottom for satisfactory water drainage.

Ahhhhh....don't ya just love when the experienced growers throw all that lingo at ya? :wink: Every bit of it is right by the way.

Here is the fast version for you to start looking up info.

If your plants are falling over and dying with the bottom of the stem all fucked up then your over watering. If they get long and fall over but stay healthy your pretty much dealing with low light.

Start there when looking up your answers and you should have a pretty easy time dealing with the problem. Their just seedlings you'll have it figured out fast.

:happyweed::prettyflyforawhiteguy::happyweed:

and what the fuck is a Hamloaf cause it sounds delicious. :crazy2:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Magash]
    #693551 - 11/13/13 04:01 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

Using ham instead of ground beef in a meatloaf?

:shrug:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #693616 - 11/14/13 10:17 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Quote:

Magash said:

Using ham instead of ground beef in a meatloaf?

:shrug:

Sounds delicious

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: hamloaf]
    #693655 - 11/14/13 02:55 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Killing seedlings with kindness is a common mistake newer growers make.  Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly. 

I've added water drainage, and a fan. Going to get more lights tomorrow. Should eight bulbs, 1600 lumens each (23 watt=100 watt equivalent soft white) CFLS be enough?

Going to see how they do in the next few days with coco coir. I'm not sure I want to transplant them again to new soil, especially since I bought so much coco coir. Is it that necessary?

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #693661 - 11/14/13 04:01 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

8 bulbs @ 1600 lumens a piece = 12,800 lumens.  That'll suffice for seedling growth, rooting clones and veg.  Sounds like they are but just in case, double-check the labeling before you open your bulbs to make sure that they are in the 6500K range in case they aren't and you have to exchange them for bulbs that are. 

Marijuana seedlings like a light and fluffy growing medium.  One where the water begins to drain from the bottom right after the plants have been watered.  If the water isn't draining immediatly after you water the plants you won't have to water as often. 

You can go from coir to a soil-less mix and visa-versa.  The reason I suggested a soil-less mix over coir for you for this grow is because the aforementioned soil-less mix of top soil and perlite is a little easier to work with than coir.  However, seeing as how you already have a bunch of coir I understand the need to feel like you have to use all the coir up before switching to another growing medium.  Seems as if we have Lighting, Growing Containers and Growing Mediums for the seedling phase mostly covered.  Let's talk about Water and Nutrients now.  What is the source of your water and what is your plan to monitor and buffer your PH??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag