Home | Community | Message Board


Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Registered: 10/31/13
Posts: 41
Last seen: 2 years, 27 days
Running into problems with sprouts
    #693538 - 11/13/13 02:54 PM (3 years, 28 days ago)

I attempted to start from seed. All was going well until a week in, when my sprouts started to fall over. Eventually the stems started to thin, almost to a thread, and a couple of them are shriveling up.

I've strung them up on poles, and a few of them I have planted deeper. 7/10 still look green and healthy but the others look like they're dying. Anyhow, they aren't growing.

I'm thinking of getting a fan for these, adding more light, and making deeper cups full of coco coir.

Any other suggestions?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery


Registered: 12/05/08
Posts: 13,294
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #693539 - 11/13/13 03:02 PM (3 years, 28 days ago)

It depends on what's causing it.  You could be over watering, or feeding.  Not enough light could be a  part of an overall less than ideal growing condition.


--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.


Registered: 10/21/13
Posts: 164
Loc: Trinity County, CA Flag
Last seen: 2 years, 2 months
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #693545 - 11/13/13 04:34 PM (3 years, 28 days ago)

Killing seedlings with kindness is a common mistake newer growers make.  Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly. 

OP, does the water flow from the top of the soil immediately out of the bottom of your growing container(s) when you water the seedlings?  The 3 that are problematic may have been stunted.  They might not even recover though.  Try to save them anyway. 

Adding more light, getting a fan and transplanting into a bigger container are all great ideas.  Instead of coco coir as your growing medium though for this grow I'd consider going with a nice soil-less mix including a 40/60% mix of perlite to a premium brand top soil.  Also, be sure the new growing containers have plenty of holes at the bottom for satisfactory water drainage.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery


Registered: 04/21/08
Posts: 6,498
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #693550 - 11/13/13 05:39 PM (3 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

cyclonicthunder said:
Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly.

OP, does the water flow from the top of the soil immediately out of the bottom of your growing container(s) when you water the seedlings?  The 3 that are problematic may have been stunted.  They might not even recover though.  Try to save them anyway.

Adding more light, getting a fan and transplanting into a bigger container are all great ideas.  Instead of coco coir as your growing medium though for this grow I'd consider going with a nice soil-less mix including a 40/60% mix of perlite to a premium brand top soil.  Also, be sure the new growing containers have plenty of holes at the bottom for satisfactory water drainage.





Ahhhhh....don't ya just love when the experienced growers throw all that lingo at ya? :wink: Every bit of it is right by the way.

Here is the fast version for you to start looking up info.

If your plants are falling over and dying with the bottom of the stem all fucked up then your over watering. If they get long and fall over but stay healthy your pretty much dealing with low light.

Start there when looking up your answers and you should have a pretty easy time dealing with the problem. Their just seedlings you'll have it figured out fast.


:happyweed::prettyflyforawhiteguy::happyweed:


and what the fuck is a Hamloaf cause it sounds delicious. :crazy2:


--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?


:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Registered: 08/28/12
Posts: 7,834
Loc: █████
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Magash]
    #693551 - 11/13/13 06:01 PM (3 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Magash said:


and what the fuck is a Hamloaf cause it sounds delicious. :crazy2:



Using ham instead of ground beef in a meatloaf?

:shrug:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTomCollins


Registered: 10/06/09
Posts: 2,943
Last seen: 2 years, 3 months
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #693616 - 11/14/13 12:17 PM (3 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Quote:

Magash said:


and what the fuck is a Hamloaf cause it sounds delicious. :crazy2:



Using ham instead of ground beef in a meatloaf?

:shrug:




Sounds delicious


--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Registered: 10/31/13
Posts: 41
Last seen: 2 years, 27 days
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: hamloaf]
    #693655 - 11/14/13 04:55 PM (3 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Killing seedlings with kindness is a common mistake newer growers make.  Bet the problem is compounded by the growing medium not being as light and fluffy as marijuana seedlings prefer, the water source being municipal and having too much chlorine in it, and the PH not being monitored and buffered correctly. 

OP, does the water flow from the top of the soil immediately out of the bottom of your growing container(s) when you water the seedlings?  The 3 that are problematic may have been stunted.  They might not even recover though.  Try to save them anyway. 

Adding more light, getting a fan and transplanting into a bigger container are all great ideas.  Instead of coco coir as your growing medium though for this grow I'd consider going with a nice soil-less mix including a 40/60% mix of perlite to a premium brand top soil.  Also, be sure the new growing containers have plenty of holes at the bottom for satisfactory water drainage.




I've added water drainage, and a fan. Going to get more lights tomorrow. Should eight bulbs, 1600 lumens each (23 watt=100 watt equivalent soft white) CFLS be enough?

Going to see how they do in the next few days with coco coir. I'm not sure I want to transplant them again to new soil, especially since I bought so much coco coir. Is it that necessary?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.


Registered: 10/21/13
Posts: 164
Loc: Trinity County, CA Flag
Last seen: 2 years, 2 months
Re: Running into problems with sprouts [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #693661 - 11/14/13 06:01 PM (3 years, 27 days ago)

8 bulbs @ 1600 lumens a piece = 12,800 lumens.  That'll suffice for seedling growth, rooting clones and veg.  Sounds like they are but just in case, double-check the labeling before you open your bulbs to make sure that they are in the 6500K range in case they aren't and you have to exchange them for bulbs that are. 

Marijuana seedlings like a light and fluffy growing medium.  One where the water begins to drain from the bottom right after the plants have been watered.  If the water isn't draining immediatly after you water the plants you won't have to water as often. 

You can go from coir to a soil-less mix and visa-versa.  The reason I suggested a soil-less mix over coir for you for this grow is because the aforementioned soil-less mix of top soil and perlite is a little easier to work with than coir.  However, seeing as how you already have a bunch of coir I understand the need to feel like you have to use all the coir up before switching to another growing medium.  Seems as if we have Lighting, Growing Containers and Growing Mediums for the seedling phase mostly covered.  Let's talk about Water and Nutrients now.  What is the source of your water and what is your plan to monitor and buffer your PH??


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite, pH Test Strips

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Starting grow height question/problem... Ace_Nine_Suited 1,931 8 10/17/10 07:44 PM
by FurrowedBrow
* Transplanting sprouts? first time with questions/ideasUPDATE *PICS*
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
nnn-yan 10,770 119 04/30/13 08:47 PM
by budgrowerwannabe
* 2nd Grow, no sprouts whats wrong,????? nnn-yan 876 11 10/01/13 03:44 PM
by phychotron
* going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question
( 1 2 all )
Mrshroom 3,149 35 03/22/13 04:26 PM
by Mrshroom
* Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions
DudeTron
1,679 6 10/26/09 10:21 AM
by Azyle00
* Big Problems, need medium advice jellyfish 1,095 7 01/31/11 03:07 AM
by DRAGON
* timing problem - some plants way ahead yellownotepad 941 7 04/03/09 08:17 PM
by Andre Nickatina
* How does my sprout look? smoked_out_haze 1,132 9 11/22/09 06:52 PM
by SmOakland

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: FurrowedBrow, Magash, Dr. Siekadellyk, phychotron
503 topic views. 1 members, 60 guests and 55 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.063 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.