Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
who makes their own nutes??
    #687963 - 10/07/13 06:38 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

So, I'm looking to cut down my costs, and the second largest cost I have in my garden in the nutrients. It is ridiculous that we pay hundreds of dollars every month to these companies who make these nutrients specifically tailored to our industry. Has anyone here spent the time to put together their hydro nute regimen?

I found a blog online of a scientist who gardens, and he made a program he gives away for free that automatically calculates how much of whatever elements you have available you should use to get your  preferred concentrations. I just need some insight into the different regimens people use...

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: Tank333]
    #688145 - 10/08/13 05:06 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I wish I could help with this but I don't have a set regimen. I just go by what I see happening in the gardens.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: Magash]
    #688164 - 10/08/13 07:50 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I have been watching this thread. Dont have and thing to add sorry:blazed:

But I really would like to save money!! So there is no way to make your own recipe cheap?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #688179 - 10/08/13 08:41 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I don't really use a regimen either.  I just give what I think they need.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #688193 - 10/08/13 09:27 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
I have been watching this thread. Dont have and thing to add sorry:blazed:

But I really would like to save money!! So there is no way to make your own recipe cheap?

Oh there is, definitely. The initial purchase of your elements will be pretty pricey (I'm thinking it will cost about $200 for a bulk bag of each element I need), but that will last a LONG time, so it will be worth it in the long run. I'm thinking the cost should end up being close to $0.10 per gallon of rez water I use.

My problem right now is I don't have an actual computer to use, so I can't download the program to do all the calculations. Once I get a computer to use, I'll be able to do more to figure out my per-gallon cost for nutrients. It will definitely be way less than what I'm paying right now, that's for sure!

I'll keep people informed with what I find. I've only done a little bit of reading into it so far. I found this thread on THCfarmer on DIY nutrients, and that's where I found the blog with the program. I just need to finish reading the 39 pages of posts... lmao!

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#688658 - 10/10/13 06:10 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I know you can get completely organic ingredients here http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Down_To_Earth_Natural_and_Organic_Single_Ingredient_Fertilizersbut they probably aren't the cheapest, and if you order from more than 1 company they charge you shipping for each item, which is weird. Oh they have an option to make your own soil with their amendments too.

Also this hardware store is cheap as hell and has a bunch of single ingredients. http://www.midlandhardware.com/Plant-Food-Fertilizer_c_282.html

Not sure if this is the kind of answer you were looking for though. The book True Living Organics by The Rev, which you can get a bootleg of online) is a pretty good guide with recipes and stuff for straight organic growing. Supposedly a "just add water" way of growing, but it seems to be anything but that. Oh and one of the better things about organic growing is that you can recycle the soils. So far I've only spent 80$ on 40lbs of soil and fertalizers which should be good for a couple years(I hope)

edit: oh just saw you don't have a computer to use =/

Edited by Midgetpawn (10/10/13 06:12 PM)

Offlinesexycybe
Stranger

Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #688704 - 10/11/13 04:34 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: sexycybe]
    #689490 - 10/16/13 02:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well I don't know if you(OP) would buy from online, but if you plan to, this site has the cheapest shipping out of maybe 15 I checked. Has a great selection of nutes too.http://eastwesthydro.com

honestly the shipping is a ton cheaper than most other sites. I made a cart that has 57lbs of nutrients and the shipping is 26$

Edited by Midgetpawn (10/16/13 02:18 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #689497 - 10/16/13 02:48 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

My problem right now is I don't have an actual computer to use, so I can't download the program to do all the calculations. Once I get a computer to use, I'll be able to do more to figure out my per-gallon cost for nutrients. It will definitely be way less than what I'm paying right now, that's for sure!

you can use google doc's and set up a spread sheet with all your calculations on it. Plus it will be accessible from anywhere. I have a spreadsheet that I use to log all the nutrients I mix up and then it calculates the final costs as it goes along. At the end of harvest I just need to put the amount of bud and it fills in the rest.

heres a chopped image, the stuff in gray boxes is calculated, green boxes are for input. It averages about $5/ounce at the end.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (10/16/13 03:02 PM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #689506 - 10/16/13 03:25 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I do buy a lot of stuff online, so its always nice to get a new site to peruse. But it doesn't seem that they have any pure nutrient salts. All they carry is pre-made formulas (at least as far as I could tell from checking them out on my phone. Lol).

It seems you misunderstood my original question. I'm sure its my fault for making the OP while in a hurry and I didn't proofread to make sure I was clear on everything... lol

I'm looking to make a nutrient regimen from pure nutrient salts. Like the type Cropking.com sells. Doing it this way costs pennies on the dollar compared to buying commercially prepared nutrient regimens.  I don't know about you, but I think it's highway robbery to pay upwards of $70 for a gallon of nutirnts when there are literally pennies worth of salts in it!

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: who makes their own nutes?? [Re: phychotron]
    #689509 - 10/16/13 03:33 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I want to do another version of that which includes power consumption and cost. Should be easy to do,  I'll need to hook a kill-a-watt up to everything to figure total power consumption for lights and fans, then calculate kw-h based on their daily cycle. Cost should be a no brainer, except when it crosses into the tier 2 billing for heavy usage. I figure I'll just bill the garden for the higher rate. Its going to be pimped one day.

When you get a computer I can send you mine. All you have to do is edit the headers, and there is a page that has all the costs and products listed so its easy to expand.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #689510 - 10/16/13 03:36 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

why don't you go with GH maxi grow/bloom? Seems like thats all it is but formulated by pro's. That should cut some costs... I wanted to do this too, but when I realized I was only going to be paying $5/oz I was no longer concerned about the money.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#689559 - 10/16/13 09:44 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

$5 an ounce for nutes is too much IMO. Check out this guy's blog. It's got the nutrient calculator I was talking you about. I really feel that we should be paying more like $0.50 an ounce for our nutrients. I don't think we should rest until we can get all our costs down to below $15 an ounce.

I mean, take electricity: say you have a 1kw for veg and 4KW for flower. You'll probably be using around 1.5kw/h for your veg ( 500 watts is really conservative, for fans and AC). That running for a month-long veg at 24 hours a day at $0.10KW/h would cost $108. Then flip for flower and you've probably got close to 6kw for 12 hours a day. That comes out to twice that making electrical cost $324 for a three month cycle. Now give a generous estimate of 4lbs for your harvest and it comes out to being around $5 an ounce for your electrical.

Now, think about your time costs. When I was in Cali trimming for work, I could bang out a pound of well-trimmed nougs in about an 8-hour workday. Take that and estimate your skills should be valued around $15/hr, then is costs you around $7.50 an ounce to trim.

Even before counting the cost of your labor in the room during the grow, you're already over $15 an ounce.

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #689569 - 10/16/13 10:41 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a pimped calculator, looks like its going to be tough figuring it all out at first. Seems like your going to put in a lot of work dialing in your formula, but should be worth it in the long run if your running a large garden.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#689574 - 10/16/13 11:47 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Honestly, it won't be nearly as much work as I originally thought. If you read the thread I linked in the OP, there are several guys in that thread that will help you figure out a personalized recipe for what you do in your own garden (soil or hydro and everything inbetween). They can even do it to match the current nutrient regimen you use. You just gotta give them the analysis of whatever nutes you use... I just have to wait till the end of the month when I have a computer in the house again...

Easy shit man. And to keep from putting thousands of my hard earned dollars in another corporations pocket every year?? Totally worth it! Even with a small garden, IMO, it is worth it...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #689576 - 10/17/13 01:02 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I like the simplicity of just buying it at the moment. If I had a house and was able to keep more stuff around I'd probably start getting into it. But for now living in an apartment its a pain in the ass doing everything in the kitchen. Most of the costs comes down to the additives like the zym and root and boost/flavor stuff. The base nutrients themselves are the lowest cost coming in at around $0.75 per ounce. At the moment the savings are not worth the time and effort to switch over. The feeding regiment I have is so simple and works amazing that its hard to want to switch just to save a few dollars.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#689772 - 10/19/13 03:48 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Just wanted to back up my last post that [url=eastwesthydro.com ]eastwesthydro.com [/url] has great(probably the best) prices online, and the shipping is about half the price of the next cheapest site with raw organic nutrients. I don't work for them or anything, just spent a while looking around for raw nutrients and looked around even more after finding them. I'm annoyed they don't have feather meal though =/

BTW they don't mention that things are out of stock till AFTER you order, but if you complete the checkout process up to the step before actually paying, they'll email you telling you what's out of stock. They don't mention it anywhere on the site, but they take paypal if you select "other".

None of this may apply to the OP though since I only like the prices on that site based on a type of growing that can't have much salt at all in the soil.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order