Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups
    #623366 - 05/18/12 12:31 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, what's up GROWERY? I plan to post this log on THCFarmer as well at some point (because they're a bit more "sophisticated"), and probably another forum or two down the line.

Anyway, a bit of background,

I've never ever had an account here before, nor on the shroomery, nor anywhere else on the internet, because I'm a little pew boy and I heard from SWIM the ban hammer here is swift and heavy.:cookiemonster:

Also, I've only ever brought one set of plants to harvest, and there were only two or three females in the bunch. But it was aero, I got around .56g/watt, and it was some of the most dense, oily buds that I've ever smoked. Possibly the most potent I've ever had - but I won't get ahead of myself, because I'm an amateur and I can't forget that. My last grow was 250w with a grow space of 20"x16"x28". This grow has 200x the lighting. I'm an amateur and I'll need help.

Anyway... I've got a mother fucking grow log to post here!

Right now, it's going to be fuck all, and I'm probably going to post this thread without any god damn pictures at all. (temporarily)

But calm the fuck down for a couple days, because I'm going to get around to them. Alright? They shall be quality photos when they come, and they shall come. The more interest, the faster the pictures come.
Also, I'll gladly take any posts into consideration. Please criticize my grow. No post is a stupid post - every post is a free bump. Questions, criticism, helpful links, crankey gifs, and unrelated left-wing political banter, all welcome.

YOU SHALL ENJOY THIS THREAD IN THE FUTURE.
Pending fuckups and failures.

Alright? Alright. Have I peaked your interest yet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: John Francis]
    #623374 - 05/18/12 02:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome man!!  We are not ban happy unless you act like an asshat in forums that it isn't appropriate in!  :smile:

I look forward to seeing your grow log man! Keep us updated.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblebmac420
Realist

Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #623380 - 05/18/12 04:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

lookin forward to watching your grow.  goodluck manggg

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: bmac420]
    #623387 - 05/18/12 10:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

50,000 watts?!?!?! Foly Huck, dude, that's insane! Especially with only one SMALL grow under your belt so far... you sure you wouldn't do better with gradually upping your wattages? Maybe go to a 4kw room now that you've done a smaller box grow? I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's a whole bnch of light, and you're gonna need a shit-ton of equipment to go along with em (a/c units, water chillers for the rez, fans, nutrients, etc.)...

But, if you're sure you wanna do this, I'm along for the ride! :popcorn:

--------------------
My best run so far

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: John Francis]
    #623407 - 05/18/12 11:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Get us those pictures :megacrankey:

Hope ya know a bit about wiring and what not.  That's a whole bunch o electricity you're gonna be using.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #623412 - 05/18/12 12:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i cant imagine the electricity bill

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: Pilze]
    #623430 - 05/18/12 02:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
i cant imagine the electricity bill

With 50kw of lights, I would assume another 10kw of cooling, fans, etc. That'd be about right, yea? Well at $0.10 per Kw/h, he's looking at $6 every hour. $72 for a 12 hour day, or. $2160 per month... my electricity is pretty low, at 8.3 cents per kw/h. I couldn't imagine how big his bill would be with it being higher than 10 cents per kw/h! Lol

And yes, make with the pics, man!!!

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: Tank333]
    #623749 - 05/21/12 02:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Strains (from clone stock):

Alien Dawg
Purple D
Grapefruit Diesel
OG Kush
Critical Yumbolt

This is being posted all across the web, and I'm going to be monitoring all of the threads. I may end up closing some and directing people to other forums, if some threads aren't producing results. I need a fair amount of advice, especially with chilling.

My history.

I've only ever brought one set of plants to harvest, and there were only two or three females in the bunch. But it was aero, I got around .56g/watt, and it was some of the most dense, oily buds that I've ever smoked. Possibly the most potent I've ever had - but I won't get ahead of myself, because I'm an amateur and I can't forget that. My last grow was 250w with a grow space of 20"x16"x28". This grow has 200x the lighting. I'm an amateur and I'll need help.

Current grow info:

I've got no experience with an grow of this size. I've budgeted around $5000 a month for power.
I already killed a fuckload of clones through PH, temperature, and mold issues. PH and mold has been mostly resolved. Temps should be more acceptable now too. The cloners also don't leak light inside anymore, which should help as well. I'm currently using 4ml/gal of ThriveAlive B-1 Red and RO water, at 70-75f. It should be fine there. Pump and 100w of florescent lights are running 24/7, primarily to keep the res at that temp. Clones were previously in a veg room with temps around 68-69F, with mold and unPH'd water for a while, and they were taking too long to root.

My RO filter membrane died already - not unexpected, as I have non-potable 1500ppm source water and it's a Hydrologic Evolution unit that I was using for kitchen, shower, and grow water. I'm not sure if my water softener works right either. I'm back to purchased water for my clones, but I'm going to put down a few thousand, hopefully this week, on a commercial RO system. Advice in that area could be used, but I've now got a local supplier that seems to know his shit, for the most part. Budget is $4-5k.

I've made more than a few amateur fuckups so far - buying 15mm thick light extension cables rather than a spool of wire, letting my roots rot when my budget got held up, ignoring an unknown white mold infection on stems/hydroton(now treated, not P.M.) and continual issues with rooting clones (cloners have now been remodeled though and lots of new ones were cut within the last three days).
I can't afford to make similar mistakes on expensive shit like AC units and chillers - but I also can't afford to continually delay start-up.

I'm running at 10% lighting capacity right now, planning to move up to 20% this week. I don't have the electrical lines for more yet, but I will have 400A three phase ready to go within the week or two. We're just waiting on the power company, but I haven't set up the flowering rooms yet anyway.

This is going OPEN SOURCE. Thus, I'm planning to post this all over the web. Growery, Grass City, Cannabis.com, Cannabis Culture, RollItUp, ICMag, and THCFarmer.The custom built system I've designed is modular, as expandable as possible, with high reliability, low cost, and easy modifications. It's so simple, you could even run it in a greenhouse. Pics/details soon.

I'm running SOLIS-TEK dimmable digital ballasts, so the total lighting will actually be "55kW" at full capacity.
I've got incomplete plans for water cooled CO2, water cooling for res + supplemental room chilling (+AC), likely battery backup for the pumps, commercial RO system, and probably some more fun stuff I forgot about or haven't thought of yet.

What I aim to build is a prototype of something much larger. I hope to show everyone why NASA grows in Aeroponics, and at the same time, I'm going to show you all how easily we can do it too. My goal is to first outgrow, and then be outgrown.

Areas of advice required:

- *Air conditioning.

- *Chilling. Looking for possibly a 5 horsepower unit with a small internal or external reservoir that I can use to pump chilled water through the whole house. Efficiency is required, because I'm paying for power. Alternatively, I could get a couple smaller units - but that's not what I want to do. Budget for this is around $5-8k, all in. I'm considering sourcing a bunch of aluminum motorcycle radiators from China as well for some modular room and possibly res cooling. Alternatively, I've got 1/2" copper pipe coils that could cool reservoirs.

- Air intake. I need large Hepa filters - I was thinking maybe that I could make a filter box with a frame and some furnace filters and then getting a 12" or whatever to pull through? I'm going to be exhausting 4 to 5 6" inlines from each flowering room (1 fan for 4-5 lights - sealed hoods). That will fuck with my CO2, which I have not set up yet, so I am interested in options for a completely sealed system. It'll be easier to advise in this area once I post pictures though.

- Spray painting plastic buckets - I've got a big ass air compressor on the deck that I haven't hooked up. I'm hoping to find some paint that works on plastics so I can paint all my buckets white. This will make a huge difference in res temps.

To clarify, I've got 10kW upstairs for veg and I'm going to put together two 20kW rooms on a couple of FlipBoxes (I already have the lights, ballasts, reflectors, hangers, ducting).

More details and pictures soon. Stay safe my friends. Please comment. :cookiemonster:

Edited by John Francis (10/17/12 03:37 AM)

OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

#624591 - 05/26/12 03:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is real my friends. I have political motivations for this - and to achieve them, I require financial security. That is where this project comes in.
(responding to comments at ICMag)
---

Alright, so I've made the decision that I cannot maintain 5-6 threads and do this project.-- Mods, please do not delete my threads on forums I am not regularly updating - if those threads stay up, eventually I will post some pictures to all of them, to spread the knowledge.

I'm going to be regularly maintaining the two threads that people actually bothered to post in:
At the Growery: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/623366
At ICMag: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=238551

Also, I've decided I'm going to start with a batch of clones instead of a bunch of mothers that look like shit. I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression of the system because of mistakes I've made independently of the system, and how it seems now, my moms will hit the lights before I flower them. They're not liking the 1000ppm source water much either - the clones are getting bottled.

----
Today I got my compressor hooked up and spent most of the day painting buckets with white primer. I may or may not put a top coat. I currently have a higher painting priority, which is painting the floor white.(After buckets and reservoirs. Less light absorbed = less heat produced.)

Here's the new commercial RO I'm getting (ordered today):
http://www.appliedmembranes.com/hl_-_high_tds_ro_systems.htm
1800gpd unit
options chosen: Multi Media Filter, Carbon Filter, Antiscalant injection.
Note the features: TDS, auto membrane flush, backwash, flowmeters, pretty colors, shiny metal, etc.
Cost $6600+ shipping and maintenance products

Here's the 5 ton chillking chiller I'm getting. I will be supplementing this with a couple existing air conditioners. options: energy efficient pump and cold water upgrade. (ordering monday - if there are any objections or better (faster delievery) options - state now!)
http://www.watercooledgardens.com/product.php?productid=16470&cat=282&page=1
Cost probably $6000 + upgrades and $450 shipping.

As for my secret grow system, I'm using a modular top-fed bucket system fed by dual pressurized feedlines from remote reservoirs. The buckets are elevated and drain through corrugated tubing into ABS piping, which returns the water to the reservoirs. There are two pumps per reservoir. Each pump pressurizes one main feedline. There is one 1/4" minor feedline for each bucket from each main feedline. Each minor feedline feeds two sprayers. One system could run one bucket or 100 buckets, and you can arrange them however you want. I am currently running a maximum of 30 buckets using two 2200gph submersible sump pumps (60x 0.06mm sprayers per pump).

Understand? Think it over for a while. I'll explain the why and the how in more detail later, with pictures.

I've already had two pump failures ($90 pumps), and no adverse affects, other than one pump shorting and turning into a res heater for a bit. ( lol ) And my plants are never in DWC!

Now, making use of my soapbox - some unrelated left wing political banter!

----------------------------

How Banks Create Money Through Debt

It's a very complicated concept that took me (John Francis) quite some time to gain an understanding of, but for the purposes of explanation, I've worked out a simplified example in an economy where only $100 exists and there's a 4% reserve ratio mandated on banks. The effects of interest are ignored, for simplicity of calculations.

Here's the background reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional-reserve_banking

The simplified example:

Madam starts with $100, and everyone else starts with $0.

Madam deposits $100 into her account at Bank1.
Bank1 keeps 4% on reserve and lends $96 to Bank2.
Madam now has $100, Bank1 has $4, and Bank2 has $96.

John gets a $96 loan from Bank2 and buys services from Madam for $96.
Madam deposits $96 into her bank account and now she has $196. Bank1 has $100, Bank2 has $0, and John has $0.

Maintaining its 4% reserves, Bank1 then loans $92.32 to Bank2, which then loans $92.32 to John.
Madam now has $196, Bank1 has $7.68, Bank2 has $0, and John has $92.32.
John owes $188.32 to Bank2, which owes $188.32 to Bank1, which owes $196 to Madam.
The economy stays solvent as long as John makes his payments and Madam doesn't withdraw all of her cash.

The problem? We started with $100, and now we have $296.

John        Bank1      Bank2        Madam
"Cash"      $92.32      $7.68        $0          $196
Assets      $92.32      $196          $188.32      $196
Debt        $188.32    $196          $188.32      $0

Total cash: $296
Total assets: $672.64
Total debt: $572.64

How does this apply to Canada? Check out the links below.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/bank-liquid-reserves-to-bank-assets-ratio-percent-wb-data.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/04/30/canada-bank-bailout-cost-ccpa_n_1464398.html
(same deal for the US - 2008 bailouts)

Edited by John Francis (05/26/12 03:37 AM)

OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

#624657 - 05/26/12 01:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

tl;dr
Pics soon. :cookiemonster:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #624659 - 05/26/12 01:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sweet.  Stoked to see the setup

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #625416 - 05/31/12 09:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

At least you have a well established aim and, apparently, the means as well... all that's left is to do. And post lots of pics.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: Nanook]
    #628695 - 06/21/12 12:24 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Status update!

Alright. I didn't disappear. Thanks for the support Growery.

Ducting. Ducting is holding me up.

I now have full electricity, as of today, 400A, and my flowering rooms are wired up with a total of 40 Horilux bulbs. Systems are ready for 1/3 of the flowering area, which will be filled by my moms that have been growing into the lights for weeks upstairs. After I get that done, I'll have another set ready to fill another 1/3.

I don't have my chiller and heat exchangers yet, which will do all my air and water cooling, but my stainless steel wart chillers (50ft of 3/8") + solenoids (24v) + controllers (Ranco ETC 24v) arrived - so even if the air is 85, I'm going to make sure my water is 68.

This place is starting to get fun. :cookiemonster:

Offlineviper33802

#629000 - 06/22/12 04:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:picdidnthappen:

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: viper33802]
    #629004 - 06/22/12 04:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

viper33802 said:

:werd:

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: 50kW Experimetal Low pressure Aeroponic Grow w/ water cooling, RO, CO2, mold, and lots of fuckups [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #629012 - 06/22/12 05:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

brainsOplenty said:
Quote:

viper33802 said:

:werd:

no kidding. this is ridiculous... i dont believe this for a second.

OfflineJohn Francis
Stranger

#678043 - 07/15/13 03:46 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

There's no more mold.

Shit is sweet.

Pics soon.
fucking bullshit?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (07/15/13 03:46 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom