Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: GreenHorns]
    #677505 - 07/09/13 04:20 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> Just keep an eye on the distance and adjust till you get new bulbs. You doing CFL or T5?

I had been using Ottlite CFL's, and they were OK.  The plan was to run out and buy another pair, but after one light cycle under the MH the plants look so vital that I think I'll hold off.  I moved the light down from 30" to 25", and after a few days I'll start bumping it down 2-3"/day, per the advice from Cooked.

Currently they are under a 1000 watt MH running on a dimmable ballast set to 600 watts.

Leaves are quite firm, open, and green, but they don't seem to be eager to jam out more of 'em.  I tend to think this means they're putting energy into their root structure, which would be a positive.

--------------------

Edited by Ped (07/09/13 04:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: Ped]
    #677507 - 07/09/13 04:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Here are some pics of the setup and grow room, starting from the outside and working in.  Its a bit cramped in there, and difficult to take clear shots, but I think you'll get the picture:

Workstation.

This is the intake.  There's a lot of dust and debris down there, and bugs, so I made this little filter box out of a rubbermaid and some cut up filter medium.

Just a digital ballast.

How it looks from the outside.  I made a little roll-up blind out of another piece of poly to contain some of the leak from the zipper.  It's rolled up right now, so you can't see it.

These two were taken yesterday.  This is how the seedlings looked after I broke the CFL's and put them under the MH.

This is how they looked 24 hours later at the beginning of the next cycle.

Overhead views.  The carbon filter needn't be attached yet, so it isn't.

You'll see I those Grow-yo hook things.  I don't recommend these, and I don't trust them.  That's why I added a safety line to the reflector.  If any component of the hanging system should fail, no disaster will come of it.

This is under the table.  The table is inclined about 1/2", it's surface covered in a "tray" of poly which will conveniently funnel runoff into this handy little bin.

That's all for now!

--------------------

InvisibleCOOKED101
Eagle Eyes
Male

#677508 - 07/09/13 05:11 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
>> Just keep an eye on the distance and adjust till you get new bulbs. You doing CFL or T5?

I had been using Ottlite CFL's, and they were OK.  The plan was to run out and buy another pair, but after one light cycle under the MH the plants look so vital that I think I'll hold off.  I moved the light down from 30" to 25", and after a few days I'll start bumping it down 2-3"/day, per the advice from Cooked.

Currently they are under a 1000 watt MH running on a dimmable ballast set to 600 watts.

Leaves are quite firm, open, and green, but they don't seem to be eager to jam out more of 'em.  I tend to think this means they're putting energy into their root structure, which would be a positive.

Remember I'm only on a 400w mh so there is a diffference in light intensity to inches away from plant from a 400 to a 600, and as I said its only my first time indoor so as much as I like to share info, I'm not sure if it should be taken as sound advice, I'm not bumping my down till I get some more growth.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: COOKED101]
    #677509 - 07/09/13 05:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> Remember I'm only on a 400w mh so there is a diffference in light intensity to inches away from plant from a 400 to a 600, and as I said its only my first time indoor so as much as I like to share info, I'm not sure if it should be taken as sound advice, I'm not bumping my down till I get some more growth.

Thanks for this.  It's my first grow too, indoor or out.  They responded so well to the MH that I thought I'd bump it down to find the lower limit at this stage.  I've been watching them carefully.  They're 15 hours into today's 18, and everything seems top notch.  Unless they "seem hungry" (I have no idea how I'll ascertain this), the light stays at 25" until one or two more sets of leaves come out.

One thing that's stressing me a bit is knowing when to water.  Having been told so many time that the classic downfall is to over water, I've been holding off even though the instinct is not to.  The surface of the soil is quite dry--I gave it a gentle mist yesterday--and my "test cup" (which has never been watered) still seems reasonably lighter.  They look dry - but weigh damp. 

Does it make sense to suppose that if I continue waiting before I water this will encourage the plant to go "searching", thereby promoting the growth of a solid root structure?

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#677545 - 07/10/13 03:29 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Dont water till there dry . By weight man,Thats the best way!!:stayfunky:

Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #677564 - 07/10/13 03:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I will keep watching this! :awegroove::awegroove::awegroove:

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: GreenHorns]
    #677572 - 07/10/13 06:53 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> If you don't see any progress I would hit up the breeder and see what they will do for you. Seems like obvious genetic defect if just that strain is not germinating.

I emailed Single Marijuana Seeds Canada, actually a UK outfit, about the total failure of their seeds as compared to the immediate vitality of another vendor's seeds. 

They told me that they are not able to discuss matters of germination, that they do not condone germination, and that my account was to be terminated due to breach of terms.  What an asinine, unnecessarily severe and all-too-convenient policy.  Canada has an extensive network of certified medical growers and suppliers, who are 100% within the law: what's the need to shut down all correspondence about perfectly legal activities?  Is this typical? 

On the plus side, everything's rolling along great with the Royal Medic and the AK from RQS.  After a day and a bit seeming only to bask in the light, now they're all putting out some more leaves.

7 days from seed:

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: Ped]
    #677600 - 07/11/13 03:37 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Looking good man !!

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #677674 - 07/11/13 06:26 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It's good to see you invested in the proper equipment to grow with, I am sure you will see much better results.  I used to try to DIY everything and go as cheap as possible and now that I am using the proper reflector/tent/fan/light combo, I am SUPER HAPPY with the results and how well my ladies are doing.  Congrats on the grow and can't wait to see the finished product.  I will be following FOR SURE!

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#677676 - 07/11/13 06:38 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome setup. :thumbup:
And the motives behind this grow make it that much more worth following.

Quote:

I emailed Single Marijuana Seeds Canada, actually a UK outfit, about the total failure of their seeds as compared to the immediate vitality of another vendor's seeds. 

They told me that they are not able to discuss matters of germination, that they do not condone germination, and that my account was to be terminated due to breach of terms.  What an asinine, unnecessarily severe and all-too-convenient policy.  Canada has an extensive network of certified medical growers and suppliers, who are 100% within the law: what's the need to shut down all correspondence about perfectly legal activities?  Is this typical?

Fuck 'em, sounds like they just wanted to put the screw to you. It's a shame, but it's how things go sometimes. 

Good luck! :awesomenod:

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #677710 - 07/12/13 01:23 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

(Day 8)

My first seedling has died.

Please join me in a moment of silence.

The first seedling to come into this earth under my care has perished to fungal attack, just as her 9 companions did before even germinating.

This was surely disappointing, and I had a heavy heart.  Not only was I greatly looking forward to the Romulan strain, and not only did I orient this entire thread around it (revisions forthcoming), but this first seedling was symbolic, sort of like the first turn of the shovel at the construction site of a new hospital. 

Yet, I'm choosing to see it in a positive light:  no cultivator enjoys perfect success always, and this doomed little seedling has hopefully taken the brunt of the inevitable misfortune this first go around.  For this reason, and because I'm an unabashed nerd, I named this seedling Kimara before discarding it, after a Romulan senator who gave her up her freedom to protect that of others.

...moving on now...

This is probably nothing of consequence, but since knowing more is probably better than knowing less...

I noticed at the end of today's cycle that the leaves of all 5 of the Royal Medics (left) have gone from flat to slightly convex, while the auto-AK (right) has gone from flat to slightly concave.  All the plants look healthy and showed strong growth today, but nonetheless this is a noteworthy shift into which I'd love some insight.

Since all of these seeds come from the same vendor and have been exposed to identical conditions, and since to the best of my limited knowledge they all seem healthy and happy, my first instinct is to suppose that this difference has something to do with genetics, whether this has to do with the physical characteristics of the strains themselves, or with how they respond to the environment they've been nurtured under.

The Royal Medic is an incida-dominant hybrid, while the AK is a sativa-dominant with the obligatory spalsh of ruderalis.  Do these facts account for this difference in appearance at this early stage?  Or is there another factor(s)?

Preferring to be safe than sorry, I added 2.5" between them and the 600 watt MH, and tilted the circulation fan slightly up to skim an even gentler breeze over them.

Today was the first watering since the initial soak prior to planting.  Thanks very much to those who offered advice on this earlier.  The cups were still heavier than the bone-dry control cup, but it was becoming difficult to discern between them.  The top inch to two inches was very dry.

After adding 20 drops of H2O2 and 1 drop of SuperThrive to 1 litre (1 quart) of RO water, and after adjusting to a pH of 6.5 pH, the solution was bubbled for 6 hours to liberate the oxidizer, hopefully arriving at oxygen-rich and contaminant-free water.  I watered sparingly, quite consciously erring on the side of too little, as it is obviously much easier to correct for not enough than it is to correct for too much. 

No nutrients this time.  I figure the 1/4 strength DNF added during soil prep probably remains quite sufficient at this early stage, as it stands to reason that the roots are only now beginning their quest, it being just 48 hours since the first non-embryonic leaves came fully online. 

I feel a definite shift in the whole experience thus far.  This is fun.  In the beginning, I was seeking information like a relentless machine, constantly hunting for insights.  Now--if I can indulge the anthropomorphism--it's as though these little seedlings are communicating with me, telling me what they need, teaching me how it all works.  They're not even out of their party cups and they're already helping me relax!

Thanks all for following the journal, and for all the input you've offered and will offer.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Relax

#677906 - 07/14/13 03:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Day 10

So pretty..

(Royal Medic)

(AK)

Transplanting's been on my mind.  They are sucking up water much faster now, and they're giving off this "established" vibe.  It seems like the right choice to transplant just before the roots encounter the walls of the 12 oz cups, but not so early that their medium crumbles away upon extraction.  If only I knew how the plant's growth above soil reflected the growth below it.  Two hours on Google have revealed that either I've already waited too long, or that I should wait another two weeks.  The expert opinion seems conclusive:  until I shouldn't wait to transplant, I definitely should.  :justdontknow:

2-4 days, I think.

--------------------

Edited by Ped (07/14/13 03:25 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#677907 - 07/14/13 03:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Those are some beautiful seedlings. Much more beautiful than mine were.

The root mass generally starts off larger than the plant mass.

I would wait until you see some rooting through the plastic up against the wall close to the bottom. Then you don't risk tearing roots out of substrate it has not fully consolidated and you can be sure you're transplanting at approx. the right time (that is when the container becomes too small.)

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: TomCollins]
    #678303 - 07/16/13 09:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> I would wait until you see some rooting through the plastic up against the wall close to the bottom.

The day after your post, three of the pots showed little roots poking through the holes at the bottom.  I pushed the button.  The timing seemed perfect, as there were straight roots trailing down the sides against the wall of the cups.  The soil was quite soild, holding together well during transplant.  Everything went quite smoothly. 

Day 11 (immediatley before and immediately after transplant)

5 gallon pots, 1/4 nutes. 

Day 12 (today)

Some of them seem to be showing early signs of nitrogen deficiency - very slight yellowing in the leaves.  I'm not sure if that's just a sign of stress from the transplant, or if I've been underfeeding.  From the very beginning, I have been very ginger with the nutrients, as underfeeding is easier to correct than overfeeding.  Thankfully, I kept the soil only lightly moistened for transplant.  Tomorrow they should be good for a feed, and I'll bump up the nutes a bit.

I've been trying to beef up the stems a bit by keeping the fan on them, at least partially.  They don't seem to like it.  Every time they get the fan, they start to look all droopy.  When I shut off the fan, they perk right back up.

Edited by Ped (07/16/13 09:35 PM)

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
    #678315 - 07/16/13 09:55 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

That's a bit younger than I would be moving around and feeding anything other than water. Might be a bit of shock.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: GreenHorns]
    #678334 - 07/16/13 11:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> That's a bit younger than I would be moving around and feeding anything other than water. Might be a bit of shock.

How much younger? 

My soil is sterilized and my water is RO.  So I gotta have some nutes, no?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#678375 - 07/17/13 04:47 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah you do.

At this stage, it would probably be wise to give your plants a mild solution (1/4th strength) for the next week and then bring them up to the regular dose. That should avoid the shock.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: TomCollins]
    #678384 - 07/17/13 06:24 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

For me personally I start in solo cups until the roots take it over and outgrow it then move to 1 gallon. Once they are situated in the 1 gal I introduce at about 1/2 strength but I also use hot soils so its not really needed till they start exploding.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

#678629 - 07/18/13 08:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> At this stage, it would probably be wise to give your plants a mild solution (1/4th strength) for the next week and then bring them up to the regular dose.

I took your advice; so far things are looking pretty good.  The yellowing has given way to more green; hopefully this is a sign that the nutes are at least approaching their needs.

I've been pHing the water to about 7.5, thinking that the soil will bring this down a point, putting me in the target range.  The runoff tested at a pH of 4, which was a bit of a "yikes" moment.  I brought up some water up to pH 9 introduced a healthy volume of it.  Hopefully this prevents/corrects any pH problems before they become plant problems.

>> For me personally I start in solo cups until the roots take it over and outgrow it then move to 1 gallon. Once they are situated in the 1 gal I introduce at about 1/2 strength but I also use hot soils so its not really needed till they start exploding.

Yeah, I was trying to time it such that they were coming out of the solo cups at a time when the medium was sufficiently consolidated, but with a minimum amount of root mass exposed or abraded during the transplant.  The timing was perfect for that strategy - whether or not this is the best strategy, I don't know.  They seem alright though.

Day 13

This one's always been kinda runty.

The auto-AK has been a champ, of the 6 plants it was the only one which seemed to not even notice it had been transplanted.

Day 14

Runty looks like she's gonna stay runty.

I dropped the light down to 16" today, and brought the wattage up to 750.  They seem to be loving it, but the temperature got a little on the high side, at 29 C (84 F).

If you lean in real close, they're starting to smell real pretty~  :geordinod:

--------------------

Edited by Ped (07/18/13 09:08 PM)

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678645 - 07/18/13 09:46 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice. Yeah they look like they are liking what your doing!

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale