Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

How does this water look to you?
    #676575 - 06/30/13 02:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

After spending a fuckload on storebought distilled water for one plant's entire grow, I'm looking to cheaper sources...

I've read that under 50ppm total contaminants is suitable for growing our favorite plant, but I just wanted to run these quality sheets by everyone to see if it checks out alright. (It's from a neighboring town where I have some family. The water where I live is fucking dangerous.)

To untrained eyes, it looks like it could work out fine. Am I missing something?

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (06/30/13 02:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #676584 - 06/30/13 06:34 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You know mine comes out of the tap at 200ppm. You know what I do with that water? I grow buds with it. :tongue:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineJack Ching
Bada-bing
Male
Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: Magash]
    #676608 - 06/30/13 05:27 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Did you ever try to grow with the water you have? I can't imagine supplying water for a whole grow from the grocery store, even on one plant..

What makes you say your current water in dangerous?

--------------------
Formerly: DieselB

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: Jack Ching]
    #676699 - 07/01/13 05:10 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You know what I do with that water? I grow buds with it.

So modest... :smirk:
Thanks though, after asking around, I think I may even have found a fresh spring in the area where these quality sheets were from. "Right off the mountain!" :hillbilly:

Quote:

Did you ever try to grow with the water you have? I can't imagine supplying water for a whole grow from the grocery store, even on one plant..

Yeah my wallet felt pretty reamed out by the end of things. I wouldn't waste the time and effort watching my plants fight to survive, just to die because of my water. Like I said, I wouldn't drink it, so I'm sure as hell not giving it to my plants.

Quote:

What makes you say your current water in dangerous?

The amount of black and brown sediment, red iron and rust, the smell, and the nausea/diarrhea/gas when people drink it.

--------------------

Man Eater

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#676702 - 07/01/13 05:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars: Were the fuck you live? Remind me never to go there sorry,But fuck What about rain water ?

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #677020 - 07/03/13 09:04 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Well, with rainwater, I'm afraid I won't be able to store it properly. I would have to be ready to collect and store a lot of water when the rain comes, and then hope I have enough in case of a drought.

With the spring, or even just the local water in that town, I could get enough water to last a week or 2, then just ride back down when I need more without having to store it for too long and without worrying about not having rain when I don't have water.

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: Jack Ching]
    #677048 - 07/04/13 06:45 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jack Ching said:
Did you ever try to grow with the water you have? I can't imagine supplying water for a whole grow from the grocery store, even on one plant?

I do and you can see in my current veg plants old growth from tap and new growth from purified. There's a day and night difference. The glacier machines are everywhere here and .25ยข gallon and never balancing anything is pretty sweet.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: GreenHorns]
    #677163 - 07/05/13 05:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Are you talking about those machines at walmart called Primo? I read up on those and it looked like they filled their water with minerals and the like.

If the water I was buying was 25 cents/gallon I'd probably stick to it. But it was $1/gallon and having to water/feed regularly AND do a 15 gallon flush hurt me deeply.

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
    #677164 - 07/05/13 05:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Its like those but its just filtered purified water. No additions that I'm aware of any my plants like it wayyy more than the local tap. Most gas stations and grocery stores have them now a days. I just fill up when I buy grub.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineTomCollins

Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: GreenHorns]
    #677441 - 07/09/13 02:09 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Have you thought about buying a filter for your tap water?
http://www.dampkring.nl/16688/filter-system-complete.html

I know that in Africa and other places where clean water is an issue, these systems make a world of difference for the people living there.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: How does this water look to you? [Re: TomCollins]
    #677442 - 07/09/13 02:18 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I've thought about springing for a decent R/O system, just haven't really looked hard enough for one yet.

How does that work?
They don't go very in-depth about it. :shrug:

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineTomCollins

#677467 - 07/09/13 05:37 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It's not an reverse osmosis unit. It's just a carbon filter system for water - like this:

They work by filtering out molecules that are above a certain size. They're used in Africa to filter drinking water from sewage basically, so I wouldn't be surprised if it might solve your issue with your tap water - you might even be able to drink it.

You can read more about how they work here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_filter

The downside is, they do not remove nitrates or metals at all.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (07/09/13 05:42 AM)

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#677468 - 07/09/13 05:46 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Oh okay I just didn't know how that specific one worked.

I'd like to have it just to have drinkable water, but as far as plants go, here's what worries me:

Quote:

Carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), taste and odor from water.
They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds.

I'm perfectly fine drinking water with minerals in it, it's healthier than drinking distilled, but the buildup on the roots of plants as well as heavy metals in my smoke is what I'm afraid would be a problem.

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineTomCollins

#677471 - 07/09/13 06:04 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You don't have anything to worry about when it comes to the minerals. The plants need those too.

My fear would be the build up of toxic heavy metals like you said - but what are they?

--------------------
andyistic said:

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#677472 - 07/09/13 06:14 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

At the very minimum, my water has large amounts of iron, a toxic heavy metal.
More than likely, it's chock full of other nasties as well. I just haven't sent it off for testing. (Though I keep saying I'm going to.)

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineTomCollins

#677473 - 07/09/13 06:21 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

But iron isn't toxic. It's an element used by your plants. Your water may have a lot of iron in it but that's not a bad thing.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#677474 - 07/09/13 06:29 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I know in the right concentrations it's fine, but what comes out of the faucet here is so rusty red that I wouldn't dare put it on my plants. And the smell of sulfur makes it that much less appealing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_poisoning
Quote:

Symptoms:

The first indication of iron poisoning by ingestion is a pain in the stomach, as the stomach lining becomes ulcerated. This is accompanied by nausea and vomiting. The pain then abates for 24 hours as the iron passes deeper into the body resulting in metabolic acidosis, which in turn damages internal organs, particularly the brain and the liver. The body goes into shock and death from liver failure.

--------------------

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (07/09/13 06:33 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#677476 - 07/09/13 06:37 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I think the carbon filter would solve that.

I've never heard of overdosing a plant with too much iron and I can't find anything about that either. I don't think iron is a problem.

For your next grow, I think you should try feeding one plant exclusively with water from your tap through a carbon filter - just to see what will really happen.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#677477 - 07/09/13 06:41 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Good idea about testing specifically one plant. Will definitely do that once I got some clones going to play around with.

Only thing I can find right away about Iron toxicity to plants is that it's rare, and can affect other nutrients poorly.

Quote:

Note : When adding iron to the solution, it is often necessary to not use fertilizer for that watering. Iron has a tendency of reacting with many of the components of fertilizer solutions, and will cause nutrient lockup to occur. Read the labels of both the iron supplement and the fertilizer you are using before you attempt to combine the two.

Iron Toxicity:
Excess accumulation is rare but could cause bronzing or tiny brown spots on leaf surface.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/235014#235014

--------------------

Man Eater

OfflineTomCollins

#677478 - 07/09/13 06:48 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah. So, it's the kind of thing that only really happens in systems with R/O water where you have special hydro nutes for distilled water and you add the elements manually. Some people try to make their solutions too strong and have weird issues like that.

Be sure to make a grow log. I wish you success!

--------------------
andyistic said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck