Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Salicylic Acid Extraction
    #409432 - 04/30/10 11:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Decompostion of Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) into a useable salicylate salt.

Materials needed:
Acetone
ph UP (potassium hydroxide)
pH DOWN (sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid)
quart jar (boiling pot)
coffee filters
distilled H2O
Bayer maximum strength pills
Digital scale (mg preferred)
Funnels

1- Extract as many Bayer pills as possible with the acetone, just put the pills in a jar and pour on some acetone, swirl it around
a bit and gravity filter the solvent through double coffee filters as many times as needed to remove the sediment.
Evaporate off as much acetone as you can, but later when u dry the sediment, the rest of the acetone is removed, so no worries.

2- Take your Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) and dilute into distilled water at 10ml KOH to 100ml H2O. add an equal volume of KOH solution to the
acetylsalicylic acid solution (1:1 ratio).  Place place your boiling flask (the quart jar) into a hot water bath and heat until
boiling just starts to begin.  Remove from heat and let sit for 6 hours.

3- After cooled, dilute 10ml sulfuric acid to 100ml distilled H2O.  Add slowly until no more precipitation occurs.  Careful not to over do it!
The precipitate formed will be white crystalline Potassium Salicylate. After addition is completed, gravity filter and retain the sediment.
leave in the filters until dry, its easier to remove it.

4- Now get out your digi, and measure out 2 grams of the salt.  Add this to 100ml of Distilled H2O. (i put mine in an old 4 oz medicine vial with a dropper.
Shake vigorously before each use, and only use a drop or 2 per gallon.

-------A Few Notes:
-Dont use a concentrated solution of the hydroxide or sulfuric acid, if your not sure of the concentration, dilute it down.
-Use in an Aerocloner at 1 drop per gallon
-also makes a great foliar spray to harden up the plants

PS. This is a rough outline of the extraction, i will update this as questions get asked and answered
Sorry, i cant put up pics of the process, im a lil paranoid!

Edited by boomsaway (05/01/10 01:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salicylic Acid Extraction [Re: boomsaway]
    #409554 - 04/30/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Is this your own tek?

Do you find it beneficial to extract the acetyl salicylic acid? I've heard of Aspirin tablets being dissolved right into a foliar spray without any problems @ 81mg per 2gal using uncoated aspirin.

2grams = 2000mg into 100ml = 20mg/ml a drop or two being 20-40mg/gal?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Re: Salicylic Acid Extraction [Re: captain.koons]
    #409855 - 05/01/10 01:27 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i did a bunch of googling bout 8 months ago, and found a bunch of information about decomposing aspirin into a sodium salt.
I kinda adapted what a lot of people have done because i never found anything that utilized potassium

If by "my" tek you mean i am the original composer of that piece there, yes
but by no means can i say im the first to do it

and, i dont think an anti-inflammatory drug would have much effect on something without blood vessels, surely it wouldnt harm it either tho.

and i cant say exactly how effective the dose's are either, havent done a lot of testing
and that is a wild guess that ive been using because its about wut sodium salicylate's solubility in water is.
i havent needed to make any more since i tried my first time, i dont really use that much of it, prolly less than a drop a gal.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salicylic Acid Extraction [Re: boomsaway]
    #409861 - 05/01/10 02:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

and, i dont think an anti-inflammatory drug would have much effect on something without blood vessels, surely it wouldnt harm it either tho.

It's funny you say that. The natural form found in the Willow Tree still works as an anti-inflammatory and antipyretic yet still a plant hormone.

So as a natural product it's still a anti-inflammatory/antipyretic and plants don't have blood vessels and they benefit from this because it's a plant hormone.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale