Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: PapaKush]
    #474501 - 09/09/10 07:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Distilled water is as pure as it gets. You would need to add micros/trace elements to the already distilled water. But why bother, I'd rather just take a vitamin than put my vitamin in my drinking water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledrawde
Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: maryanne3087]
    #474549 - 09/09/10 10:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think its a little more complicated than that.
Drinking distilled water can leach nutrients from your body.
Plus absorption of multi vitamins is always questionable.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: drawde]
    #474677 - 09/09/10 05:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

zero water filter

http://www.zerowater.com/

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #474889 - 09/09/10 10:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

thats pretty kool, a DI pitcher, i like it but De-Ionizers require the ion exchange resins to be changed or recharged(which is not a process most people can do)

distilled water is a good idea, but think of the energy u would have to use to heat a large amount of water for a sustained amount of time. whether it be via electricity or a propane burner.
Ive done a bunch of looking into distillers and their efficiency,  even a DIY version is not so economical

i like the idea of solar distilling, but thats only effective during the hot summer months around here. and it takes up a lot of space to get any decent amount of distilled water outta it.

guess for now im stuck lugging buckets at 25 cents a gal, at least till i come up with sumtin new

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: boomsaway]
    #474896 - 09/09/10 10:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

why is distilled water so important

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #475227 - 09/10/10 05:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's not terribly important, I mean you can grow just fine using tap water (unless you live in an area where your TDS of plain water is 200 + then you have to pay attention to it).  When you feed with 0 PPM water you know exactly what your plant is getting because it's what you put in the solution.  People with hard water have excess calcium and other minerals which can prohibit growth and cause problems.  Same thing if your water has a high sodium content (which is why you should never use a water softener as your source of water).

I read some DIY threads last night, one of which dealt with using the Mr. Clean auto car wash tool.  The filter it uses is pretty close to an RO filter (it's not though) in that it removes almost all the minerals in the water.  20 bucks for the system, 4 dollars to replace the filter, and the person who wrote up the DIY thread had it reduce 400 PPM water down to 7 (with photos to "prove").  Shit, for 20 bucks it's not much of an investment to try out.  You technically don't even need to modify it like he did but apparently it makes it a bit easier to use.

Quote:

I was reading that a Brita filter isn't comparable to an RO system. Apparently the Brita removes odors and taste via charcoal, whereas the RO does the same with charcoal and then has a filter membrane to remove sediment or to lower the ppm significantly.

Yah, I was under the impression that removed minerals from your water but I was wrong.  The zero water filter does that, but the 1/2 gallon pitcher is too small, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the water cooler version, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stick a zero water filter into the current brita I have.  I really want an RO system but the cost and the installation are too prohibitive right now.  I'm still looking and I've found one product I'm interested in, but I'm not sure on how well it works and whether or not I'll be able to use it.

I'm honestly not 100% that my water source is causing me issues, I'm just trying to narrow down my choices when my plants have problems.  If buying a cheap little water filter like the Mr Clean thing can help, awesome, if not I'll just wait until I'm able to install a proper RO system.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: coda]
    #475241 - 09/10/10 05:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Coda would you post a link to the Mister Clean diy.

Thanks.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reverse Osmosis System [Re: KaptKid]
    #475244 - 09/10/10 05:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom