Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions
    #647275 - 11/21/12 03:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have a few days ago taken a large amount of cuttings from Female Plants 3 weeks into flowering, which have been clipped to two small leaves (most with a little bud on) dipped in Clonex rooting gel and placed into Root Riot Rooting cubes.

I made extra holes in my cubes and put 3-5 cuttings in each cube as an experiment. [I am hoping to be able to seperate these carefully if several root in each cube and i am vigilant about removing any wilted clones before they could rot]

These were placed, in cube trays, into a tub - in - tub incubator, with a fishtank heater underneath. The cubes were a little "dry" (i think) and so each cube got a tablespoon of water on top afterwards.

I am slightly worried this may have washed off the rooting gel ??

The temperature inside the chamber doesn't excede 24 degrees Celcius (75 degrees Farenheit), I am exchanging the air by fanning the chamber with the lid 3-5 times + a day and then misting after each fan.
So far, so good, no roots yet

My main concern is waterlogging... I've got to get these to work and don't want to make any fatal errors.
If i am making any, could anyone tell me what?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions [Re: starspangled]
    #647279 - 11/21/12 04:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Also, the humidity is quite high, about 100% maybe, does this need to be lowered / am i misting too frequently?

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#647282 - 11/21/12 04:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I foresee you killing those plants later when you have to separate their roots. I'd do one per cube.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #647283 - 11/21/12 04:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well, Putting multiple clones in the same cube is an awful idea.  Separating them could easily kill them, once they root. 

100% is right where you want the humidity.  It's super important you don't let the rooting cubes dry out too much.  The new roots are very delicate, and if they dry out they can easily die.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #647284 - 11/21/12 04:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Too slow on the separating thing....

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #647286 - 11/21/12 04:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm glad you feel the same about the cubes Hawk.
I think your only chance at them living is to move them sooner than later. Soak rockwool cubes in water PH'd to 5.5, take your cutting (if I had room, I'd cut 1/2" off of your existing cuts) dip it, split the stem like a Y, and stick it in the cube. Your fresh air and misting is good at 3-5 times a day, I do about 3. I've found the best success using 18/6 lighting.
I've found the ph water to be very helpful on top of these steps to seeing beautiful roots in a week.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Edited by NameInUse (11/22/12 07:12 AM)

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions [Re: NameInUse]
    #647294 - 11/21/12 05:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all your replies. I had this idea to put multiple cuttings in each cube and just decided to go with it, flawed though it is.

Could I possible rectify the problem by taking the cuttings out and giving them their own individual cube? I have more rooting cubes, and another incubator, but not many more cuttings I can take ...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #647296 - 11/21/12 05:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

How long have the cuttings been in the cubes?

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
    #647308 - 11/21/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

four days

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #647310 - 11/21/12 05:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It should be okay to transfer them....Keep in mind though flowering cuttings tend to take longer to root to begin with.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
    #647311 - 11/21/12 05:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thank You! :smile:

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#647400 - 11/22/12 07:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I mistakenly thought you were using rockwool. Root Riot cubes should have the perfect water content. The roots need to be encouraged to seek out water. If water is too abundant, they won't be as aggressive and it will take longer for them to expose themselves.

--------------------

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
    #647534 - 11/23/12 09:27 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Good tip NameInUse, thanks for letting me know as i've been absolutely saturating them.

So far, a few of the smaller cuttings have limp and wilt so they have been pulled out.

Everything else is standing to attention.

Some feel like they have gripped themselves into their holes while others haven't swelled and look like they need another dose of rooting gel.

I am putting a new chamber together and have ordered more root riot to seperate them, the ones i can.

I may have to put more than one plant in a pt if several have begun to root and I can no longer seperate them

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#647551 - 11/23/12 11:53 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've always been not to use more rooting hormone than the initial dip.

--------------------

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
    #647554 - 11/23/12 12:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Why is that?

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#647560 - 11/23/12 01:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

In Jorge Cervantes bible, he states to only apply rooting hormone containing IBA once and goes on to say that excess hormone can impair root growth.

--------------------

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
    #647561 - 11/23/12 01:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, thanks!

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions UPDATE [Re: starspangled]
    #648754 - 11/30/12 08:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Indeed it IS a bad isea to have more than one cutting in  Root Riot pot

If even one of the 300+ cuttings I took survives, I will be surprised the way things are now.

MOULD is the main problem I have goteen - from them all being so close together and touching. I was vigilant with picking out anything on the wane, yet - you know how those Mould Spores can be , invisible to the eye; if even a crumb from a rotten cutting lands anywhere else it will act like a mothership of mould and they will continue spreading from there. Even though I cleaned the incubator out a few days ago with soap, the problem has today persisted to the point Most Have Died, although A Few Brave Soldiers are still holding on.
I have pulled out rotten cuttings with roots, which is sad, and leads me to a couple of questions so that I may recover my position

Is there a safe way of re-using a Root Riot cube after a slime attack (for instance, by soaking them in baby bottle cleaner or simmering them in some water)?

And, as my Mother plants are into Flower a couple of weeks more now, say 5 Weeks presently - Will it be okay to still take a few cuttings from each, from, say, lower branches or whatnot?

These are some lovely Phenos of some expensive or otherwise hard-to-get varieties (Kumaoni, Garwhali Shiva, Malana, G13, Super Lemon Haze)and I'd love to get a crop in after the current crop finished

Any advice, as always , gladly received

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions UPDATE [Re: starspangled]
    #648815 - 11/30/12 04:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Stop over spraying. Your not growing mushrooms, you don't need 100% humidity. 60%+ and your good. Those root plugs are suppose to come holding the right amount of water, but they are more than capable of being over saturated. Open the vents on your dome and let as much fresh air in as possible, prop it up on something to let the air in from the sides as well. Unless your specifically having a problem with drying(like in the summer), then you don't need to add all the extra moisture. Mist when the tops of the root cubes are looking slightly lighter in color--but watch out, they can dry quickly after that point. Rot and mold thrive in moist environments.

I wouldn't re-use the cubes, but if you wanted to experiment try soaking/squeezing them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and see if that works. I wouldn't trust anything else on them, as H202 breaks down into H20 and O2 rapidly. You can also lightly mist the moldy cubes that have cuts in them, but you need to use it very sparingly and make sure not to get too much on the plant. Every spray top fits directly onto a bottle of peroxide, I use it straight at 3%. Do a few testers before spraying them all.

Oh, and soap will not kill mold, you need to wash stuff with soap and bleach if you expect it to kill anything. Use a sturdy nylon brush and put some muscle into it.

I stopped using the root cubes after I built an aerocloner--that thing handles all the work. You can put more than 1 clone per collar, just cant let the roots develop too much. I suggest if your taking 300+ clones then your much better off with one. You can also see the roots coming in, so you aren't guessing if they're starting to root or not.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Cuttings Humidity / Fishtank Heater Chamber Questions UPDATE [Re: phychotron]
    #648852 - 11/30/12 11:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

phychotron , you have given me the advice I've needed, thank you for that :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies