Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineA To The K
Smokey

Breeding Questions
    #594823 - 10/31/11 09:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So we all know what traits to look for in a female - bushy, compact buds, smell, trich development - I could go on and on.

However, what am I supposed to look for in a male? From my limited grow experience, I've learned that males tend to grow quicker than females. They get taller and shoot out nodes a lot faster than females. Thats just what I've noted.

I have two plants that are currently doing that, and they both look really nice. I have one that is growing faster than the other (larger nodes) but the other is staying a lot less stretched. If you had to pick a male, would you go for faster growth or better plant structure?

At what stage of growth do I need to knock up a female once I collect the pollen? I plan on doing some of the lower branches, but I don't mind if the others also get pollinated. Can I do it as soon as she starts showing sex with her hairs?

Thanks guys :heart: I'll probably be back with more questions before I'm through here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
Re: Breeding Questions [Re: A To The K]
    #594826 - 10/31/11 10:27 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

both
and test them both

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Breeding Questions [Re: A To The K]
    #594849 - 10/31/11 02:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Picking the right males is just like picking the right females.

The best advice I can think of is look for the traits that you'd like to see in your offspring.

Remember your offspring could show any traits from the mother or father or both.

The first thing I look for personally is a low pollen sack count.  Seems to produce more females than males to me. 

I usually add pollen during week 3 of flowering.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Breeding Questions [Re: Stoneth]
    #594855 - 10/31/11 02:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DJ Short's Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis

The process of elimination that I generally employ is as follows:  First, any auto-flowering or very early declared males are eliminated.  This is mainly to insure against hermaphrodites or unwanted flowering traits but also as a means to insure quality, or the elimination of the lack of quality, as the very early declared males have a tendency to be less desirable in terms of their contributions to the quality of the finished product.  Next, any male plant that grows too tall or too fast is usually eliminated.  The reason for this is that most plants that dedicate so much energy to fiber production are generally best for making fiber.

The next criterion for elimination, borrowed from Michael Starks' Marijuana Potency, involves stem structure.  Large, hollow main stems are sought while pith-filled stems are eliminated.  Backed by years of observation, hollow stems do seem to facilitate THC production.  Another consideration is the type of floral clusters that develop.  Even on males, tight and compact yet very productive clusters are desired to a lanky/airy, loose structure.

The next and perhaps most important characteristic to examine is that of odor/flavor and trichome development.  Again, the females will prove themselves with finished product, but the males are tricky.  The more Sativa females primarily contribute the type of flavor and aroma and the more Indica males contribute the amount of flavor and odor.  The "Sativa/Indica" aspects of this formula are mainly apparent in filial crosses to the third generation (f3).  Beyond the f3 the "Sativa/Indica" is less important than the odor/flavor and trichome development aspects it exhibits.  Therefore, one of the main aspects to consider when selecting a male is the depth of its aroma and flavor. 

With remaining males I usually employ an odor/flavor test as follows:  Using males at least two or three weeks into the flowering cycle (and preferably beyond if a separate, isolated space is utilized), I use a "scratch and sniff" technique.  Gently rub the stem where it is well developed and pliable, above the woody part and below the developing top.  The newer leaves at their halfway point of development may also be rubbed and sniffed.  These are the places that the earliest chemical signatures are apparent.  By examining these aromas, one may be able ot determine desirable characteristics. 

Just one breeder's method.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom