Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Breeding a new strain for the first time.
    #591969 - 10/13/11 09:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I've been working on creating a new strain of weed in which I've crossed two different stabalized hybrids. Right now I'm going through the selection process, and from there I plan on inbreeding to further stabalize my new strain. My question is... Is it common for the first generation of seeds to have most of the same physical properties? I soaked 50 seeds and placed in moist paper towels for germinating, and all 50 germinated and are in there 3rd week of veg. I'd say around 80% of the plants look exactly the same, and are growing at the same speed. For the other 20% there are a few other variations.

So I'm wondering after finding my mothere of choice about how many more generation of seeds should I have to make to obtain a pretty stable strain? I know it's to early to tell what I will end up with, but I figured there would be a wider variety of different phenos from the first generation of seeds then what I'm seeing.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Breeding a new strain for the first time. [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #591971 - 10/13/11 10:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

When you breed actually stabilized parents (true breeding/plants that breed true for whatever trait(s)) the resulting offspring will be mostly uniform with some showing different degrees of variation.

You will see a lot more variation in the 2nd and 3rd generations which is where a lot of people would do their selections of course depending on what their goals are/what they find.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Breeding a new strain for the first time. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #591986 - 10/13/11 10:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Alright thanks for the info maryanne. So after selecting the initial mother, and crossing her with one of her sibling males thats when the pheno variation comes into play if i understand correctly? From some of my research I've read that you should take it to a 4th or 5th generation, sometimes more to stabilize the NEW resulting strain? I want to make sure I'm doing thing correctly to insure I'm beating the right path. Being in a medical state I have patients already asking for clones and seeds of some of the strains I have. When I'm ready to release some of my seeds, I want their result to be as close as possible to the finished product harvested from my mother.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Breeding a new strain for the first time. [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #591995 - 10/13/11 11:21 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

There's more phenotype variation in the 2nd and 3rd generations.

I have no idea how many generations you're going to have to inbred to get predictable results. It would depend a lot on the phenotypes you're breeding towards, how dominant or recessive they are and how large your selection pools are for each generation.

For example if I breed an Afghani and Northern Light together I'm probably going to have a pretty easy job ahead of me selecting phenotypes towards say a short, stocky plant, that puts me to sleep. If I breed say a Thai and Mexican together it may take a long time before I find something that rips my head off.

Also if I select from 50 individuals from each generation I wouldn't get the same choices as someone selecting from 250 individuals using the same seeds. I don't think anyone can tell you how many individuals to select from is the appropriate amount but more is certainly better.

InvisibleP-O

Re: Breeding a new strain for the first time. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #592022 - 10/13/11 02:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

creatin new strains is so interesting .

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom