Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

landrace breeding
    #115459 - 08/28/08 12:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i just noticed that there's a breeder called World of Seeds that sells landrace strains.  would be interesting to get a set of these and go about creating a truly new strain.  anyone have any thoughts on this idea? :strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: landrace breeding [Re: yellownotepad]
    #115509 - 08/28/08 04:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

if you truly plan on creating your own strain you're going to need a lot of time, space, money, and plants.  Selecting plants for breeding takes a lot of patience and a knowledge of traits to look for.  If you're just planning on taking one male and one female to breed without flowering them, or knowing their qualities, it's going to be a crap shoot as to what you'll end up with.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineEleutherios

Re: landrace breeding [Re: coda]
    #117579 - 09/03/08 01:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You should check out Sam the Seedman's posts over at www.icmag.com. He talks a bit about breeding. This is what he says needs to be done to maintain vigor and really keep the community alive. I think that at the least you are going to need a greenhouse. I have thought about this a bit. I think that it would be great to go on vacations to exotic places and bring back their amazing genetics yourself. Its definitely a higher.. level of dedication. (I made a funny) Seriously though, I can't think of many things which would end up being that rewarding though.

Incidentally now you guys know where I've been for a few weeks. I'm glad to see some new posts. I'm just trying to learn as much as humanly possible to become a valuable member of the Cannabis Community in general:bouncysmoke:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: landrace breeding [Re: Eleutherios]
    #117600 - 09/03/08 04:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sam the Skunkman, I'm sure you mean. :wink:

I've got more to post on this topic, but for now it'll have to wait. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineEleutherios

Re: landrace breeding [Re: Sirius]
    #118482 - 09/04/08 11:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah you're right. Thanks. As far as landraces go, I got some of their Afghani gear. I'm fucking stoked on growing that. At the moment I'm working on some bagseed and some of Seedsman's Gold and Purple Bud. (80% strike rate) So I can't comment on viability for the WOS gear I have at the moment.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: landrace breeding [Re: yellownotepad]
    #118531 - 09/05/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i just noticed that there's a breeder called World of Seeds that sells landrace strains.  would be interesting to get a set of these and go about creating a truly new strain.  anyone have any thoughts on this idea? :strokebeard:

You'd definitely need a lot of space (or a lot of time if you don't have a lot of space :grin:) to grow out a lot of seeds, as well as needing the aforementioned skills with selection. It would really depend on how serious you are about the project, how stable you'll want your genetics to be, how dominant the desired traits are, etc. You'd need a good space for keeping mothers and fathers.

We've found a pure sativa land-race around here that we're interested in investigating further. We've got to wait for the seeds to develop more, but we'll definitely try to grow it out and cross it with something else, see if we can get lucky. :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals