Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetdub51
Medical Marijuana Patient
Male

Loc: God's Country
New to growing
    #590164 - 10/03/11 11:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi All

Just found the site and I love it. I'm a Med. Marj. patient from Wash. looking for some info. I decided to set out and grow my own meds. My garage seems like it would be the best option. Lots of room, low traffic, First question: With winter coming will it get to cold to grow in the garage? I live near Seattle, temps should stay above freezing 95% of the fall and winter, will this affect my growing?

Second question: In the garage I wanted to use a grow box or a grow cabinet of some kind, are there any suggestions or plans that are available to use?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

--------------------

"It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat!" [poem] - Judge Smails

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: New to growing [Re: tdub51]
    #590240 - 10/04/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The temps need to be around 75-80.  Not sure what normal temps are in Seattle in the winter.  I would just get a grow tent and a 400 or 600 w hps light.  With the tent and the light heat you might be able to keep your temps good. What about flowering though.  Is the smell of skunk coming out of your garage going to be an issue?  If so then your going to need a carbon filter unit.  Whats your budget like?

Offlinetdub51
Male

Re: New to growing [Re: phrostbyte]
    #590435 - 10/04/11 11:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Phrosty,

Thanks for the help. I never thought of a grow tent, any you recommend?

My total budget is around $500.

I thought of building a small room in the garage, but now I'm afraid I couldn't keep the temp warm enough. Or I could get a cheap dresser at goodwill to use as a growbox. The other option to using the garage is my small closet in my room. I don't want to use the whole closet though, so would some sort of growbox work best (like the gutted out dresser?) I would need a filter if I had the Grow room in the closet. (and in the garage as well I would think)
For stealth and first time growing I just thought that a 2-4 plant growbox would be easier and cheaper to start with. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

I was just thinking about the grow tent. Can I get one small enough to fit my beginner’s needs? (3-4 plants)

--------------------

"It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat!" [poem] - Judge Smails

Edited by tdub51 (10/04/11 11:57 PM)

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#590534 - 10/05/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tdub51 said:
Phrosty,

Thanks for the help. I never thought of a grow tent, any you recommend?

My total budget is around $500.

I thought of building a small room in the garage, but now I'm afraid I couldn't keep the temp warm enough. Or I could get a cheap dresser at goodwill to use as a growbox. The other option to using the garage is my small closet in my room. I don't want to use the whole closet though, so would some sort of growbox work best (like the gutted out dresser?) I would need a filter if I had the Grow room in the closet. (and in the garage as well I would think)
For stealth and first time growing I just thought that a 2-4 plant growbox would be easier and cheaper to start with. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

I was just thinking about the grow tent. Can I get one small enough to fit my beginner’s needs? (3-4 plants)

Well it sounds like you need to grow indoors unless you build a heated room in your garage and there no sense in heating the garage when I'm sure your house needs to be heated.

This is who I bought my grow tent from.  Actually my 400 W HPS & MH Kit I got from them also!  If you look through the pages you will find some they have for sale.

I haven't really found any really small grow tents.  You say 2 - 4 plants but how tall do you want the plants to be?  I wouldn't spend a lot of money on something really small.

You could look into buying or making a PC grow box.  Thoes are stealthy and work ok.  But your not really going to get much yield for the money on these smaller grow boxes.

If your a handy person you could build your own grow box.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/65884-grow-box-construction.html

24 video series on his youtube channel

I personally am not good with building things so I just figure purchase a grow tent and be done with it.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #590595 - 10/05/11 05:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Tom. First off, I want to say congratulations on getting your card! It really is the responsible choice. Lol. My wife and I look at it as insurance. Just pay the fee and you're covered for a year. No getting hassled by the cops, and we get the best choices of bud around! There's definitely a lot of great dispensaries in our area. There's also a couple of farmer's markets you should check out too. Those have some GREAT selections for medicine, medibles and plants!

Anyways, as for growing in the garage... I think you've actually got a good idea there. I would run the light during the night to keep the tent warm when its the coldest, and have the light off during the day while the sun can warm the house. We have a 4x4 tent and a 1000 watt light in it (its been shut down for the past month while we're waiting out the heat though). We hardly ever had any problems keeping the tent at the proper temps, but we were inside our apartment, not in the garage... possibly a space heater with digital temp controls can help? As long as you can keep the garage above 60, you should be just fine. The colder temps just slow the growth a bit...

If you have a decent amount of wood around the garage though, you could consider making your own box. It would make it easier to hang things and modify it the way you want. You could also insulate it to help keep warmth in while the light is off...

Offlinetdub51
Male

Re: New to growing [Re: Tank333]
    #590790 - 10/06/11 11:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Phrost

Thanks for those links, there is a lot of great info in there. Thanks for the grow tent link as well, I had trouble picturing it in my mind. I was thinking more of a people tent. It looks sturdy enough and the price isn't bad. Is there a place for a carbon filter? Now I need to measure my closet to see if I can get a 4X4 in there. I can't build either, but I had a neighbor who can build anything. I think the grow tent just might be the right way to go.

Tank
Thanks for the response as well. I agree with you 100%!! Being a Med Marj patient is the ONLY way to go. You live in King Co? I heard about some of the farmer's markets in Tacoma and Seattle they sound like a great idea. I might start with the tent and then hunt the goodwill's for a dresser to gut :smile:  Will fans need to be placed inside the tent? or do we need to install computer fans on the vent duct?

Thanks for the info
Tom

--------------------

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#590803 - 10/06/11 12:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You can hang the carbon filter from the top inside the tent.  They also sell 3X3X6.5 tents.  That's what I got and it looks so much Bigger in person then in the pictures.  If you get a good 6" carbon filter with fan and have it blowing out then there is really no need for an intake air fan at all.  The air exchange will pull in fresh air no problem. 

I would still recommend a fan inside the tent to blow on your plants.  This makes for nice strong stems and plants.  Moving ones are great but you can get away with just having a small one blowing on the plants.  You want them to sway a bit in the breeze. This will keep the plants from being all scraggly. 

I will warn you the carbon filter w fan isn't cheap though but from what I have read totally worth the investment if smell could be a problem.  The carbon filter will also helps with air flow in your tent like I described before.  Man the deal I got on my tent I feel like I stole it from them!  It's really a quality tent!

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#590810 - 10/06/11 12:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Phrost is right about the fan and filter not being cheap. I picked up a 6" fan and filter combo from accesshydroponic.com for $200... but to get the airflow you need, you'll want to spend the $$.

He's also right about an oscillating fan inside the tent. You'll need to keep the air moving around those girls, or you can have all sorts of problems arise from it. Most notably, the temperature! Lol

As for hanging the filter, I would be careful with that. My tent's roof supports aren't all that strong, and after 3 months of the light and fan only hanging from the rods, they've all bent a bit...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinetdub51
Male

#590906 - 10/06/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Man your right about those filter prices, a little high. How long does one of those carbon filters last? With starters out here running $15-20, the tent being under $100. This will prob be the biggest expense of the whole project. I think that 3X3X6.5 tent would be perfect, how many plants can you grow in that space?

Once again thanks for all the help guys
Tom

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#591065 - 10/07/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Actually Tom, I found that the light was my biggest single expense (although nutes are slowly starting to climb up there in the "ongoing costs". Spent about $250-$300 on those so far..). I paid $380 including shipping for a 1000 watt light with a 6" air cooled hood... you can probably find a cheaper used one on craigslist, but you're gonna be looking at about $150-$250 for even a 400 or 600 watt light. Sometimes you can find a helluva deal, but you gotta jump on it right away, or they get snatched up quick...

As for how many plants you will be able to fit in there, that's really subjective, honestly. It depends on the method you decide to go with. You could fit 45 small clones in that area and flower them right away. Or you could veg out 3 or 4 plants in DWC buckets and do it that way... Or, you could even just fill the space with a single plant, vegging it out for a month or two, and then flowering. It really depends on what you want to do with your options...

I saw that you had mentioned measuring your closet for space for the tent... Remember that your plants will need fresh air in that closet somehow, and if you've got the door closed, you'll need to put a hole in the door or wall for ventilation. Otherwise your plants will use all the available air, and then suffocate from there... The way I set up is we had two window fans in the window, and the tent in the corner next to the window. We had one fan turned out, blowing air out, and one turned in, blowing air in. We rigged up the ventilation so the fan blowing in blew that air into the tent, and the exiting air tube was attached to the fan that blew air out, thus removing the hot air from inside the tent... I'm not sure what your situation is, but could you set something like that up?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#591069 - 10/07/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

There's no exact life span on Carbon Filters because the usage can vary so much.. some run it 24/7, some run it only when the lights are on...  I would say a year or two at least though.

Like tank said you can really put as many plants as you want in there it just depends on what size you let them get.

Also I got a HPS & MH 400w light kit with a bat wing hood a ballast the 2 400w bulbs and the ez hangers for 120.00 on ebay.  That's cheaper than the carbon filter I was looking at.  This shit adds up really fast let me tell ya.  It started with oh I'll get a 90W led light.  Me being how I am if I'm gonna do something I like to do it right.  So then I buy a tent.. make dwc setups ( air stones, bins, fish tank air pumps).. buy nutes, tds meter, ph meter, ph kit, HPS MH kit, fans rock wool cubes and some good seeds.  Next thing I know I spent like 500.00

Edited by phrostbyte (10/07/11 05:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck