Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesophierc
Stranger
 User Gallery
1st time grower, ghetto in the closet
    #556858 - 05/19/11 09:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have been a medical marijuana patient since May 2010. Ever since I learned how well marijuana worked for my medical conditions I have wanted to grow. I finally now have a chance. I am on a strict budget so I am doing this pretty ghetto.

Purchased and using:
4 13watt soft white compact fluorescent bulbs (purchased at Walmart)
1 power strip (purchased at Walmart)
4 light socket adapters to plug into the power strip (purchased at Walmart)
1 grounded extention cord (purchased at Walmart)
2 sativa plants - strain: grapefruit fly (purchased from local dispensary.)

Tilt your head to the right to see the bottom image correctly.

I plan to leave the lights on all night in the closet. Then, bring them out for some fresh air during the day on my dining room table with my vegetable plants. I plan to have them on 24 hours of light until they are bigger and stronger but not too big for the closet. Then I will put them on 12/12 light schedule to trigger them to bud.

I plan to water them a little daily with a mixture of 1 gallon of water mixed with 1/4 tsp Expert Gardener All Purpose/Water soluble Plant Food. The same way I water and feed my vegetable plants.

From what I understand, this is, in simple terms, the way it is done.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.
Do you think my set up will work?
Do you think my set up will work?
Users may choose only one (9 total votes)
Yes, very likely to succeed.
-
2 22%
Yes, but not the best way.
-
1 11%
50/50 chance of success.
-
0 0%
Probably won't do well.
-
6 67%
No, it is all wrong.
-
0 0%
Votes accepted from (05/19/11 12:00 PM) to (08/20/11 12:00 AM)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: 1st time grower, ghetto in the closet [Re: sophierc]
    #556914 - 05/20/11 12:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What are you going to plant them in?
Are you going to check the pH of your water and water/food solution?
Your going to want more light!  90+ watts per plant would be great
Your going to want to move the lights you have closer? no more than a foot away.
Some air circulation will aid in your grow.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Loc: South
Re: 1st time grower, ghetto in the closet [Re: muse42]
    #556935 - 05/20/11 08:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

would be better if you could hang the power strip horizontally, and get the bulbs closer to the plants. For more light, on the cheap, you can get 4', 2 bulb, fluorescent fixtures for $10 at wally-world & lowe's. You can hang them vertically in the closet. You could also do another strip of cfl's. The more light, the better. Esp. when you get to flowering. also, if you have a fan, or can get one, it will healp make the stems stronger to keep moving air on them. Also keeps fresh CO2 in the area. Strong stems mean they won't fall over under the weight of the buds.
Do the cups have drainage holes? Water should be able to drain through the soil.
Is the soil dry when watering? Let the soil dry out completely before watering. Too much water can cause roots to rot.
I'm not an expert, I usually don't use soil. It may be too soon for feeding though. Definitely get someone else's opinion on that one.

--------------------
nothing i have said or done is real. I like to make up stories and post them on the internet. I have nothing better to do.

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
Re: 1st time grower, ghetto in the closet [Re: djnoktirnal]
    #563260 - 06/09/11 01:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You really need those lights closer. I'm hoping you just had them like that for the picture. But the plants aren't even really being affected by them now other than establishing their light cycle. Which leads to another point which is you didn't buy a timer or at least forgot to mention it. You should be using a timer since your on a budget, or you could leave the lights on 24 hours a day but that will be a waste of electricity. Also I don't recommend taking the plants out of the grow space on a daily basis or for extended periods because its easy to forget about them and then mess up their light cycle. I have done that in the past when I figured good sunlight should be better than even HID's but then I would forget about the plants and leave them outside!

Right now I don't think this grow can succeed. But if you plan to steadily improve the set up while maintainin your budget then yes it could succeed.

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
Re: 1st time grower, ghetto in the closet [Re: sophierc]
    #563261 - 06/09/11 01:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah plus you should consider getting a different strain as well because a sativa will take even longer under fluorescent because plants flowered under fluoros tend to take a few weeks longer anyways!

Also don't use the blue type of basic 20-20-20 fertilizer because it will cause salt build up leading to very harsh buds. The first crop I grew used this and the buds were pretty harsh.

If anything just use good soil like organic miracle grow potting mix and then just transplant to a bigger pot before flowering. Then all you have to worry about is watering with PH'd water and giving a good 2 week flush at the very very end.

If you use a better organic soil that already has fertilizer in it it will turn out better than with the blue type chemical fertilizers, especially anything with numbers about 10-10-10

Also you want to use a high potash&phosphate fertilizer in the flowering stage, if you do use any fertilizer at all.

Oh yeah and don't water every single day. Instead saturate the soil until the water runs out the bottom of the pot and then let it dry for a few days until at least the top 1-2 inches of soil are dry (in smaller containers probably .5-1 inch dry).

This is known as the achieving the field limit, which means you've saturated your soil until it can hold no more water, and ensures proper flushing of the soil. then you get less salt buildup.

Edited by Doc (06/09/11 08:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies