Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Loc: South
Ghetto Box - Bagseed grow (Indoor 150W HPS Soil and Hydro)
    #554879 - 05/12/11 05:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I'm at it again, going to give it a whirl in the apartment. Last time I tried in a closet and temps were out of control. The A/C here isn't the best, and I cant cut holes for ventilation.

Currently I have a 2x2 space inside 2 heavy cardboard boxes I attached together vertically with plastic screw anchors. (man i'm poor right now :frown:)
I have my trusty "homemade" light (150W HPS) I used a 75w security light from lowes (it has a 150w ballast, I got a 150W bulb) and wired it into a remote ballast grow light with an extension cord and a project box from radio shack. I recently got a salvaged reflector from a 400W outdoor MH fixture. (the ballast was shot, but reflector and socket were perfect. would have been nice to have a free 400W ballast :frown:) I used to have a homemade "cool tube" but a "friend" borrowed and broke my pyrex tube :frown:.
  I have my light suspended on a bungee cord from a mic stand gowing through the top box handles. I cut a small door in the top box for adjusting, and a large door in the lower box for access to plants. The bottom is open to the floor, and it is positioned directly above an A/C vent (this place never stays cool).
I have 1 seedling in soil and a seed waiting to pop in a rockwool cube in hydro. I'm using Technaflora BC series nutes in the hydro, and a homemade soil mix in the pot. (I haven't had to use any ferts yet)I'm doing both, because my nutes are old, and I don't know if they are still good. I don't have any $$ for new stuff.
Light is on 24/0.
My hdro system is a black bucket I got at the dollar tree, with an aquarium air pump and bubble stone for aeration (from wally-world). Net pot is in the lid. Hopefully I can get some pics up soon, not much to see just yet, just 1 little seedling with 2 leaves... more to come.

--------------------
nothing i have said or done is real. I like to make up stories and post them on the internet. I have nothing better to do.

Edited by djnoktirnal (05/15/11 05:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Re: Ghetto Box - Bagseed grow [Re: djnoktirnal]
    #554944 - 05/12/11 12:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

PHOTOS!

this is outside the box doors closed

door opened

the pot (sitting on a bucket not being used for hydro) on right and my seed waiting to pop in hydro on the left.

seedling in soil 1 week after germ

seed waiting to pop. I dont have enough hyroton, but i can't afford any right now. :frown:
temp currently 72.3F
48% humidity

soil is mix of topsoil, mushroom compost, and cow manure. tomatoes were grown in the soil outdoors last year, also giving time for the manure to age, was regularly fertilized and has some composted leaf matter in it. I just dug a little out and filled my pot. The pot stayed indoors all winter, with nothing growing in it. I I made sure no insects, snails etc were going to surprise me. The hydro nutes are Technaflora BC series 3 part nutes. I am using BC Boost and BC Grow, along with about 5ml superthrive. ph 5.9 1035ppm. For flowering I will use BC Boost and BC Bloom (hopefully my nutes are still good. they are old. we shall see)
I tried transplanting seedlings that sprouted in soil to the hydro, It didn't take. But I only had a few rockwool cubes and they had been peviously "used" they were wetted, buit seeds didn't get a chance to sprout. they were dry and clean. so i wetted one and put a seed in a couple days ago, after I saw the transplants didn't take. it has yet to pop.

that's it for now. More when i get it.

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#554949 - 05/12/11 12:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have 2 4' fluorescent shop light fixtures. each has 2 bulbs. Should i try to hang these vertically, in such a small space?

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
    #555130 - 05/13/11 01:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You are going to have light leaks with that thing

--------------------
x:tongue:

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Re: Ghetto Box - Bagseed grow [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #555192 - 05/13/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Going to? It's leaking all over right now. :smile: I hardly ever have the lights on in the room it's in. I can prolly cover it with something when I go to 12/12, and the light is off.

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#555258 - 05/13/11 04:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Lol yea it is!  if you got some extra $ cover your inside with mylar and overlap.

Also, are you going to put the seedling into that rock wool cube?

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#555293 - 05/13/11 06:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

no, I have a seed in there. I had 2 others I tried to xplant to the hydro... they died :frown:. I'm keeping the one in dirt cuz i'm not sure if my nutes are still good (they are old). So when I ran out of seedlings to xplant, I put a seed in the rockwool. It hasn't popped yet.

Update:

I rearranged things a bit. Now the 2 boxes at separate. I mounted my light to the top of the bottom box. It has insulation sandwiched between the reflectoe and the box. I can't feel any heat on the outside of the box. I also closed the bottom of the box. I cut out a corner in the bottom so my A/C vent could put cool air in the box. I may have to go back to the taller version, but for now I can lower the plant. Temp 69.3F Humidity 63%(it is raining outside).

If anyone would like plans for this high quality growbox..... just kidding. :smile:

--------------------
nothing i have said or done is real. I like to make up stories and post them on the internet. I have nothing better to do.

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#555538 - 05/14/11 04:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

update:
lined the box with "mylar". It's actually an emergency balnket from a first aid kit I had lying around. It doesn't look the best, but it will get the job done.
pictures to follow

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#555543 - 05/14/11 04:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

photos as promised:

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#555578 - 05/14/11 06:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

how far is your light from the plant?

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#555581 - 05/14/11 06:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

8"

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#555585 - 05/14/11 07:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I cant tell by what you said whether you are using a 75w or 150w to veg...

If it is 75w get it at about 4inches.

If it is 150w then you are perfect.

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#555586 - 05/14/11 07:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

it is 150W

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#556255 - 05/16/11 11:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

upate:
watered plant w/ 2 liters tap water with half strength hydro nutes. BC Boost and BC Grow. Added SuperThrive. 600ppm pH 5.9 Plant is working on 3rd set of leaves and is showing beginnings of secondary growth. Added small aquarium heater to hydro res. Seed in Hydro still has not popped. Thinking of xplanting seed in soil over to hydro. What do you guys think?

having prob uploading pics, will post later

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#556383 - 05/17/11 04:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

finally got pics uploaded.

Plant seems to be doing well
Thinking of transplanting to hydro, seed still hasn't popped
Any suggestions as to whether I should do this?
If I should, how do I go about it?

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#556712 - 05/19/11 10:00 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

plant working on 6th leaf set.
growth seems extremely vigorous
switched light to 12/12 to induce sexing
any advice on if i should transplant to hydro?

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

#556722 - 05/19/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There is not an easy answer for you.
You will need to carefully wash off all the soil from the roots without damaging them.  Be sure to use room temperature water...
Then you can carefully transfer to your clay pellets.

Or you can keep that plant as your mother and then take clones from it and the put them in rock wool cubes.

Not sure why no one else has been helping you, usually others chip in...

Good luck

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

#556723 - 05/19/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i think i'll just leave it in soil. I don't want to kill it. If it is female, i'll move it to the top box and put it under florescents or something.

Yeah, people usually are pretty helpful here. One plant in a cardboard box under a 150 prolly isn't that intersting to someone who has fifteen 1,000,000W lasers growing some crazy genetics. oh, well. at least maybe i'll have some buds to smoke on in a few weeks.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #556827 - 05/19/11 07:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:popcorn:

I would just leave in the soil. Then again, I have no hydro experience.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Re: Ghetto Box - Bagseed grow [Re: muse42]
    #558134 - 05/25/11 09:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Update:
Added 47" 2 bulb fluorescent; hangs above boxes. Started seeds in plastics cups with expert soil, 1 has cracked. Plant got some nute burn from the hydro nutes I watered with. Trimmed brown areas from leaves. Pruned 1st true leaves (1 blade set; above cotyledons) Plant is working on 7th or 8th node. Side branching has started. I will be watering plant today with 1-2 liters of water, with superthrive. I will not be adding nutes, as this soil mix has ferts premixed. I'll have to rely on the plant to tell me what it needs. (any thoughts on using hydro nutes in soil?) The seed in the hydro bucket has cracked. Tips of first true leaves are deformed. Seedling is working on its third leaf set. I will be changing the res today also. will shoot for around 1000ppm and pH 5.8-5.9. Technaflora BC Boost and BC Grow. will add superthrive.
The plan as of now is to use the 48" for seeds and cuttings. Hopefully the biggest plant will be female, so she can be my mother. She is staying extremely short IMO (for bagseed from regs) And the leaves look as though the plant is mostly Indica; leaves are short and fat, maybe not so much as 100% Indica, but I do not know the genetics. If the hydro can catch up, i will initiate flowering to sex both plants at same time. It is possible that the soil plant will start showing preflowers on its own before the hydro is big enough to switch the light cycle on it. When I find out it's female, I will take clones, and root them in soil in party cups. Hopefully I can flower several small clones in the 2x2 box in a SOG. If timing is off, I will just flower it out, followed by the hydro. Then I can rotate in the seeds that are yet to sprout, and choose a mother from that, or possibly the hydro could be mother material, although i did not like the leaf deformity. It seems that this is a common occurrence. The goal is to keep up a perpetual harvest. If it ends up being shit, I will probably try to get some genetics.
On a side note, I found a RTA, 48" white "wood" (MDF with smooth white formica laminated on top) at lowes for $100. It is divided vertically; each side has a bar to hang things from, adjustable shelving below. Shelf above goes full width. This will give me a mother plant area, a clone/seed area, and a flowering area. This may be a ways off, as I need a new HPS (400w?) an air cooled hood, and ventilation system (fan, duct, filters) to do it right.
Also I applied to return to school and finish my degree. Hopefully will get financial-aid to do so. I only have about 5 semesters left. Been off for 3 years. So everyone send good vibes my way, as I had to file an appeal with the school to get financial-aid because of the crazy "75% rule". In most cases I would not complain, but I took college classes while in high school, from this school and another. I also have dropped out twice, but drops count against, even if done early. also a loan consolidation will have to be completed, and VA benefits have to come through.
well, that was a long enough post. Whaddaya think?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck