Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: getting a dog [Re: Tangerines]
    #554300 - 05/09/11 01:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have a red nose pit and a lab.  I love them both for different reasons and they're both good dogs for different reasons.  Whoever said pits are menaces and all that is just a fuckin idiot.  One of the most affectionate and loving dogs I've ever been around.  I love my lab though, that's my nig.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: getting a dog [Re: Nothing Is]
    #554304 - 05/09/11 02:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

As much as I would love to see a shelter animal find a home. Ibwould steer clear since it is going to be your first dog. Shelter dogs can have some major issues. Some have been abused and are impossible to train. I had gotten a shelter mix. Smallish dog. She was good natured, but could not raise my voice with out her going into a panic attack and pudding all over herself. If you have the patients and can deal with these issues then it would be the way to go. Seems after they get a year old it is hard to train them with out sending them to a trainer. There is good dogs at the shelters though if you look round and find the right dog for you.

I used to have the same feeling about pit bulls as Nothingis when it came to them. But since moving into this house, I got real comfortable with pits. My nieghbor has 2 red nosed pits. And the one is an absolute big baby! I call her miss cuddles. She loves my kids and us and has been fun with her around. Pits get a bad rap becausee they can be fighters! But this IMO is due to owners promoting the action. Not the dog. If a dog is taught from the beginning that attacking people or other animals is a bad thing then more than likely they will not ever attack for just the fun of it. Depends greatly on the owner.

I find it funny that everyone wants these giant intimidating dogs. Along with being big bodied, they have big turds! Meaning big piles that need to be dealt with. They have huge appetites,  so food is going to be a major part. Most the big dog breeds stink and are oily skinned. Just to name a few things. Oh and it is hard to cuddle with your puppy when its almost as big as you.

We just got this little one. She is pure chihuahua and a sweetheart. Funny lil thing with tootsie roll turds. And only eats a can of food every couple days. and this is the pit bull I spoke of.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: getting a dog [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #554313 - 05/09/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineNothing Is

Re: getting a dog [Re: Tangerines]
    #554322 - 05/09/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
Doesn't matter.  It's an issue of nurturing the dog not the intrinsic nature of the dog.

nature or nurture i don't give a shit

the fact is those dogs don't belong in the city

http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox17-pit-bull-attack-pit-bull-dog-attacks-3yearold-boy-20110506,0,184943.story?track=rss

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#554325 - 05/09/11 03:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

http://catousa.messageforums.net/non-pit-bull-attacks-and-our-media_t432.html

those weren't pit bulls.  can't have any of those dogs in the city either?????

--------------------

OfflineNothing Is

Re: getting a dog [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #554332 - 05/09/11 04:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#554344 - 05/09/11 05:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Rots are not scum, they are safe and lovable.
You have clearly never owned one.

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
Re: getting a dog [Re: Steve Buscemi] * 2
    #554346 - 05/09/11 05:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

At this point everyone might as well consider the dude trolling and quit paying attention to him at all.

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

InvisibleCandyGirl
 User Gallery

Re: getting a dog [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #554349 - 05/09/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:

:love:

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
Re: getting a dog [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #554391 - 05/09/11 08:45 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Steve Buscemi said:
Rots are not scum, they are safe and lovable.

Gonna have to agree with this. My uncle had a rottweiler for many years and she was so sweet.  ...even helped rid the yard of rats. RIP to both of them.

I also got attacked by a friend's pitbull two years ago (still have the teeth scars) but i still think the breed is awesome, if trained correctly.

Invisiblem00nshine
HEDONISMBOT
 User Gallery

Loc: INEUPHORIA
Re: getting a dog [Re: ChillWillis]
    #554394 - 05/09/11 08:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Beaucerons are patient with children, but can be overwhelming to them or try to herd them.

:rofl2:

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: getting a dog [Re: nannybooboo]
    #554395 - 05/09/11 08:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I do think male rots are kind of crazier and slightly stupider, mine was a female and she was the best dog EVER.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: getting a dog [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #554412 - 05/09/11 09:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Steve Buscemi said:
I do think male rots are kind of crazier and slightly stupider, mine was a female and she was the best dog EVER.

:thumbup:

My Rotie bitch Whisper was 140 lb's of kind gentle love.
I miss that life force.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: getting a dog [Re: KaptKid]
    #554414 - 05/09/11 09:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Damn I want a dog....... I could get one too I just haven't found the right one. I want to get a chow, corgi or a lab.

I judge dogs on their cuteness or ability to fuck up prowlers.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: getting a dog [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #554428 - 05/09/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I want a big dog because I want a dog that will protect me, my home, my woman, and eventually my family. Dealing with turds is a responsibility that comes with owning any pet, the way I see it shit is shit is shit. I've also found through fostering that small dogs are generally more difficult to housebreak and train.

My dog isn't going to be for cuddling, it won't be allowed on my bed or any furniture at all - it's a dog and needs to remember who's alpha male up in this bitch.

As far as the negative stigma towards the many breeds that people tend to lump into the category of pitbull, (or really just any of your dogs that are labeled as 'dangerous',) it's all bullshit spewing from cowards who don't know a fucking thing about dogs. A dog with an owner will behave as that owner raises him to. Dogs don't just 'snap' for no reason and start slaughtering people. They're just raised in a way that makes them fearful, which can cause attacks when they feel threatened - or worse - raised to be aggressive. Fearfulness usually arises from being deprived of early social stimulation whether it be strangers, new dogs, strange situations and noises. Unfortunately these traits can be deliberately ingrained into them by sadistic fuckers as well.
Don't punish the breed, punish the crime that is animal abuse.

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: getting a dog [Re: ChillWillis]
    #554429 - 05/09/11 11:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I've owned quite a few rotts in my life, would get another if I were to get another dog.  They're great dogs, extremely lovable and loyal.  They have been all females, so perhaps that might have an effect on their temperament, but stereotyping the breed as scummy is just plain ignorant.

Also as I kid I was bitten by a dog, but guess what.  It wasn't a rott or a pitt.  It was a chow chow, which have a reputation for being snippy.

Edited by THEBats (05/09/11 11:12 PM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: getting a dog [Re: THEBats]
    #554434 - 05/10/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I was going to say doberman, but if you don't like the look of them we used to have a Rot/Doberman cross that was as smart and affectionate as a Doberman but had the size and energy levels of a Rot.

Used to sit around in the shade for the most of the day just liked to patrol our yard (we had 5achers) every hour or two, best dog every because when I wanted to play he was up for it, but when I felt like being lazy and watching TV he would come sit next to me and chill out

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: getting a dog [Re: THEBats]
    #554435 - 05/10/11 12:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Also as I kid I was bitten by a dog, but guess what.  It wasn't a rott or a pitt.  It was a chow chow, which have a reputation for being snippy.

Only dog that has ever bit me was a Maltese, If a dog bites you, you should hit the owner, not the dog.

--------------------

OfflineNothing Is

Re: getting a dog [Re: Far Stox]
    #554446 - 05/10/11 03:43 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Far Stox said:
At this point everyone might as well consider the dude trolling and quit paying attention to him at all.

Yes, because any time anyone has a differing opinion they must be a troll. I have been surprised to learn rottens aren't as hated as shit bulls. They should be.

Quote:

A dog with an owner will behave as that owner raises him to.

That doesn't make any difference to me when I'm walking my dog and I'm approached by one. I don't give a shit why. I care about what it wants to do and what it is capable of doing and those dogs are capable of doing major damage. One reason I want the breeds exterminated is just to punish their shitbag owners but the main reason is because they're almost exclusively inbred by idiots now and menace our cities.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/maine-Rottweiler-infant-killed-Waldo-County-infant.html

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #554456 - 05/10/11 06:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had 3 rotties over my life, and only 1 of them was agressive, and its because she was taken too early and given to a family that didn't know what the fuck they were doing with her.

The first one was the sweetest dog I've EVER had (seriously) and the 3rd is just goofy. He was real big and didn't know just how big he was. I honestly think he might have been a bit retarded, but he was very lovey.

I'd suggest a German Sheppard. I know they have longish hair, but they're wonderful dogs and if you're looking to get a pure bred one, they're beautiful.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds