Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: LED light [Re: BigBudz]
    #533398 - 03/04/11 10:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hey ,thanks for the head up ,what do you use exactly ,and what kind of performance does it put out,?? if you dont mind me asking~

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
Re: LED light [Re: dmtcorey] * 1
    #533721 - 03/06/11 03:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Here is plenty of them to buy. Almost all the distrubters here on eBay order them from china in bulk. I bought ones from different suppliers and they all sorta worked the same. Here I search for 3W led's.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=3w+led+grow&_sacat=0&_odkw=300w+led+grow&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I looked at the cheapest one from http://myworld.ebay.com/ledstores/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 and it looks legit. Unless you find one used, or start your own business from China, that is the best LED light you are going to get for your money today.

Hard to invest, since every 6 months they make something better. But mostly they have stuck with 3W led's and 4+ bands as the cutting edge of LED Grow Lights on the market. Bridgelux are the cheapest LED's and CREE are the best. I used a combo one just like the one this guy is selling and it was amazing for either flowering alone, veg alone or in combo with HPS in flowering was super awesome!

The prices now are even cheaper then they were 6 months ago. It will get cheaper in another 6 months but damn those 4+ Spectrum LED lights have UVB LED's which kill mold and are awesome for plants. Those LED's alone are worth it in any flowering room, period.

The simple and very cheap led's that are only 2 band can work for veg, Red and Blue but you might as well go for a 4 or + more band unit. I had a 120W unit from eBay that had 1 watt led's and it seemed to do pretty good in a 2x5 area, even though 2 of them would have been better. The 120W unit is almost as powerful as a 400W MH for veg. I'd say plants respond better to a 120W LED 4 Band Unit vs. a 400W MH.

For flowering I never got to try just LED's, I used a mix of HPS and LED. The unit I had was crazy futurist, but cost a premium at the time. Had at least 8 spectrums. Right now is half the cost of 6 months ago. By 2012 I think LED's might just be cheaper then HPS or MH for even 1 bulb cycle. I mean right now it's about $1 a W.

Only thing about LED's is they are slightly tricky. Make sure you ask the supplier what the W draw and output total is of the unit. Once some crappy company said it was a 600W LED unit, when the draw was only 300W and output was only 300W. Regardless the actual number, I find the real world output in comparison to MH and HPS is roughy 2.5 X W of the LED Output. If you get that much LED instead of HPS or MH I'm positive it will walk all over them if you plants are trees.

With the 3W led's light penetration goes at least 2-3 feet. At time goes on, it makes no sense to buy at least MH lights as LED is essentially superior to them considering plant height isn't ridiculous. Even with ED Rosenthal says LED's are the future; indirectly of course. He states that UVB lights provide many benefits to cannabis plants. Ironically they are only found in LED lights to my knowledge. http://mjgrowers.com/book_what_exper1.htm http://www.420magazine.com/forums/cabinet-closet-grow-room-setup/79209-uvb-light-whats-real-story.html

Infrared LED's are the same thing as a UVB LED. Where Eye protection if possible.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Edited by BigBudz (03/06/11 03:29 AM)

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#533726 - 03/06/11 04:05 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

+1, dude

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #534033 - 03/06/11 08:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BigBudz said:

Infrared LED's are the same thing as a UVB LED. Where Eye protection if possible.

Ummmmm no :rolleyes:

Infrared : 700 nm - 1 mm wavelength
UVB : 315 nm - 280 nm wavelength

Infrared Radiation (IR) is a low energy form of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. If you put any IR emitters in your grow area the only thing that will happen is you will burn your plants and the cooling load will go way up. The only thing IR does is heat shit up, and changes the channel on the boob tube.

Ultraviolet Radiation (UV) is a type of EMR that has a shorter wavelength than visible light. Lower energy forms (UVA) are emitted by blacklights and are essentially harmless. Higher energy forms (UVC) are used as germicidal light that can sterilize exposed surfaces and causes severe damage to live tissue and organisms with prolonged exposure. The form b/w these two types is known as UVB, and is responsible for the burning effects of the sun. Since UVB can cause direct DNA damage, it is hypothesized that the cannabis plant (prone to grow in regions of high UV indexes) has evolved a natural "sunscreen" (THC) to protect the little prodigy that are produced in the calyx. THC is a very good UVB reflector/absorber, and it's precursor compounds actually utilize UVB to form THC inside the trichome head. A little extra UVB in the grow tent during flowering can stimulate trichome production and an increased rate of THC production. It can also slightly speed up the process of THC degradation into CBD, but it is the general consensus among many growers that slightly higher (3-4 hours of UVB reptile light exposure during the middle of the day period) levels of UVB exposure usually results in higher trichome density, and thus a higher level of THC.

UVB LED's are way more expensive than IR LED's, and ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DO NOT BUY INFRARED LEDS AND EXPECT IT TO PUT OUT UVB.

Infrared will not cause direct DNA damage unless your skin is blistering from 2nd degree heat-related burns due to super high intensity IR exposure. UVB causes direct DNA damage to exposed skin and clouding of the lens of the eye (cataract). This means you need to have a killswitch for the UVB light in ur tent or protective eye wear before entering your grow room.

Sorry for such a long post, but blatant misinformation involving LED technology calls for justice. As always, I'm just trying to help.

Peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #534197 - 03/07/11 08:09 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BigBudz said:
He states that UVB lights provide many benefits to cannabis plants. Ironically they are only found in LED lights to my knowledge.

Well Agmotes already (correctly) called you out on the UVB vs Infrared thing, so I'm going to leave that alone.

However, UV is NOT just found in LED's, that's just absurd. In fact, UV wavelength LED's were the LAST thing to arrive on the market in terms of sub-visible wavelength bulbs. I have multiple Incandescent UVB bulbs, some VERY high output UVB CFL bulbs (reptile lights) and yes, both HPS and MH bulbs produce UV wavelengths in varying quantities.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: LED light [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #534604 - 03/08/11 10:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That is also very true and while I love growing with LED's I must also state that in order to maximize yields a small amount of full spectrum light much be used in conjunction with the LED's, and I just go buy the high UVB output reptile CFL's and put one or 2 per grow tent. I have no real world experience with UVB LED's, nor do I have any intention due to their extremely low efficiencies and extreme relative costs. My understanding was that both MH and HPS produce so much UV initially that a UV filter coating is applied to the little tube on the inside just to get the UV radiation down to a safe level. I know the mercury vapor lamps only produce UV and a phosphor coating is used to absorb the UV and re-emits visible light.

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED light [Re: Data]
    #534786 - 03/08/11 05:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

got the light yesterday and the temp is 76-81 just under the lamp. I was planning on supplimenting it with (2) 26w cpf cool white, then warm white.

LED specs
    * Size: 18"X11"
    * Number of LED's: 80
    * Total Wattage240
    * Lifecycle: 50,000hrs
    * 6 Band LED
    * Infrared: 730nm
    * Red LED: 630-660nm
    * HO Cree White: 12k, 6k
    * Ultraviolet: 380nm
    * Universal Voltage: 90v-240v

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED light [Re: phychotron]
    #534803 - 03/08/11 05:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #534815 - 03/08/11 05:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The one in the bottom two pictures, what's it's story? It has some funny shaped growth and leaves... Just curious.

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED light [Re: Tank333]
    #534845 - 03/08/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

just how the guy cloned it.  they were taken at the beginning of flowering then reverted back to veg.

--------------------

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #534943 - 03/08/11 08:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Whoops. Thanks for the clarification between IR and UV, and the etc about the HPS and MH having bits of them. I guess between the group of us, it helped out a lot.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#535220 - 03/09/11 03:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Think tank environments are the best :cool::thumbup:

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED light [Re: Data]
    #538291 - 03/19/11 10:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So i went home for a week and left my three plants chillin, and took the seedlings with me, ditched half of those, but picked up some good plants, two white widow clones I took and an afgan kush rider

afgan Kush Rider - Autoflower

So two of the plants streched out a bit while i was gone, I turned the CPF's off while I was out of town since I didn't have anything to control the temperature of the closet, which can get to atleast 85ºF.  Also didn't water them for  7 days, but they all appear to be fine, with the exception of one branch that just went limp while i was gone.

My main concerns are what type of watering cycle should I put these on?  I was watching a video where the guy was doing 200ml every other day in veg, but that seems like it might be a little excessive.

I also got some nutrients, advanced grow/bloom/micro, tarantula and pirhana microbes and was a little curious about nutrients with an organic soil. I thought i read somewhere that you can over fertilize organic soil, or should I just be fine going with what's on the label?

--------------------

Offlinedjnoktirnal
ponderer
Male

Loc: South
    #554926 - 05/12/11 11:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BigBudz said:

UV and IR are at opposite ends of the "visible" light spectrum. They are not the same.
UV-A 315nm-400nm wavelength
UV-B 280nm-315nm
UV-C 100nm-280nm (germicidal)
the UV (ultraviolet) part of the spectrum ranges from as short as 10nm up to 400nm (UV-A)
IR is Infrared and has a much longer wavelength and is mostly invisible to our eyes, although bright IR sources can damage the eye.
We feel IR radiation. It is heat. The IR part of the spectrum satrts at 700nm and goes up to 1mm in wavelength.
IR-A 700nm-1400nm
IR-B 1400nm-3000nm
IR-C 3000nm-1mm

I am talking to a chinese mfr. there is a thread I started called "perfect LED panel"  you can check out the details there.
price looks like its gonna be pretty good, and no minimum order :smile:

I edited once I read the rest and saw that someone already mentioned the UV/IR stuff

Edited by djnoktirnal (05/12/11 11:36 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom