Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline114425
Stranger
 User Gallery

LED lights
    #258962 - 08/02/09 07:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone experienced with LED lights yet, im finishing my current grow then am going to be switching over to a supernova enhanced spectrum light from Hidhut. Any thoughts or notes on these yet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: LED lights [Re: 114425]
    #258994 - 08/02/09 09:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am finishing up my first grow in an 80x80cm growtent using a 90W LED light from growlLED in a 7:1:1 ratio of red:blue:red-orange lights...amazingly tight internode length during vegging...and an overall decent looking plant from bagseed...

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/238422

I only vegged 5 weeks to keep it short, I think it was about 6-8 inches tall with like 10 nodes or something like that...all info is on the log.

hope this helps, feel free to ask questions
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offlinemackabee
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LED lights [Re: 114425]
    #288223 - 09/29/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

dont do it. i know a guy who owns a hydro shop and has used every piece of equipment out there. The bulbs give off a red n blue color, not spectrum, the spectrum comes from the gases burning inside the bulb, not the paint on the outside of bulb. yea they'll grow plants but, lets just say  he wont even sell them at his store. he said their a no go!!! he got 20+ years experience and 2 hydroponic shops. He's my teacher

OfflineAgent 47
John

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Holland
Re: LED lights [Re: mackabee]
    #288264 - 09/29/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mackabee said:
dont do it. i know a guy who owns a hydro shop and has used every piece of equipment out there. The bulbs give off a red n blue color, not spectrum, the spectrum comes from the gases burning inside the bulb, not the paint on the outside of bulb. yea they'll grow plants but, lets just say  he wont even sell them at his store. he said their a no go!!! he
got 20+ years experience and 2 hydroponic shops. He's my teacher

Hm. That is quite interesting. I was always under the impression that LED lights are more accurate for plant growing. I'm somewhat new to the growery. When someone posts information in the shroomery, it is usually followed by links to support their text. Mackabee can you do this for me. Thanks.

Quote:

Did you know that plants primarily use the Red and Blue wavelengths of the visible light spectrum for photosynthesis? LEDs are a natural choice for creating the light wavelengths plants can actually use i.e. photosynthetic active radiation.

Life-Cycle Costs:  We agree LEDs are initially more expensive. However, you recoup your investment through monthly savings on your electric bill and not replacing bulbs on a routine basis. LEDs have a very long life – typically seven years or more! And new LED technology has doubled the output of the LED bulbs during the past year. Click here

In addition, you have an opportunity to “Go Green.”  LEDs typically use only 20% to 30% of the electricity of conventional HID lighting. Most of our electricity in the USA is produced from fossil fuel sources such as coal.  By choosing an efficient light source such as LEDs, you can reduce your carbon footprint on our environment.

Grow With LEDS

--------------------

Agent Outdoor 2010

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: LED lights [Re: Agent 47]
    #288535 - 09/29/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Chlorophyll a has 2 peak absorbing wavelengths, 430 nm (blue range) and 662 nm (red range) LEDs can be "tuned" to these frequencies or damn close through the manufacturing process...ensuring that nearly all of the light coming from LEDs is absorbed by the plant for photosynthesis.

Also, a "color" as you put it is a specific wavelength of light, a "spectrum" is a range of wavelengths of light including wavelengths that are nearly useless photosynthetically speaking.

A fluorescent light operates by passing a high voltage current through a low pressure gas (usually mercury) giving off primarily UV light...which is absorbed by a phosphor coating on the inside of the glass tube...which then emits a "spectrum" of light. HID lights operate by striking an electrical arc between two tungsten electrodes in a glass tube filled with various gases and mineral salts...the electrical arc heats up the gases and salts inside the tube...forming plasma and giving off visible light and large amounts of UV, usually requiring the lamp to have a UV filtering material around the tube to reduce risk of injury to living things. None of the gases or metal salts "burn". Its all about electron excitement.

The internet is your friend...sometimes research and logical thinking will outperform "the way its always been done"

peace friends...hope this helps a little
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
John

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Holland
Re: LED lights [Re: Data]
    #288556 - 09/29/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
peace friends...hope this helps a little
agmotes165

It has helped me, and I don't see why it wouldn't help anyone else with a little desire to learn.

Thanks. :thumbup:

--------------------

Agent Outdoor 2010

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED lights [Re: Data]
    #288709 - 09/29/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That was some damn good info agmotes! I wouldn't waste alot of time on that Mackabee dude, he got a taste of the banstick today for being an idiot in several other threads. But am glad you shared that info!:thumbup:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: LED lights [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #288711 - 09/29/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No problem :grin:

feel free to ask for specific info...I'll try to get an answer as soon as I can haha.

peace guys,
agmotes165

--------------------

Offlinemackabee
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LED lights [Re: Agent 47]
    #289670 - 10/01/09 07:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

like i said my info comes from a man who owns a shop n has been doing this for a bit. not looking at a computer. no links or nothing, just human contact. i could go to a site n copy n paste shit like evryone else, but use what u want. doesnt effect me,

all i know is look around, u see huge grow ops with leds??????????? na, me neither.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #289705 - 10/01/09 09:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd find a new teacher. If this garbage is true
Quote:

The bulbs give off a red n blue color, not spectrum, the spectrum comes from the gases burning inside the bulb, not the paint on the outside of bulb.

have him explain how phosphorus coated bulbs work I'd be interested on what he has to say. What about the green bulbs that people use to go in the grow rooms at night, there not green on the inside but coated with a special color green on the outside. Having used one of those bulbs for years I'd have fucked up thousands of plants if this was true.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemackabee
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LED lights [Re: Magash]
    #289718 - 10/01/09 10:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

question: people use the green bulbs at night cuz the plants dont absorb the green light??? correct??

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #289732 - 10/01/09 10:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes sir you are correct. :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinemackabee
Stranger
 User Gallery

#289735 - 10/01/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what u running ponics or soil??

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #289759 - 10/01/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ponics

--------------------

Offlinemackabee
Stranger
 User Gallery

#289803 - 10/01/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what system if u dont mind me asking.ive been running two complete 8 pack gh waterfarms. i like the system, awsome results.  we were looking to get 4 more but the price jumped. sumone on this site recomended this ebb n flow system- multi flow 48 pots-wich would save us a thousand bucks. eva seen it used?/??

http://www.hydroponics.net/i/273048

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#289888 - 10/01/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the thing is that I know for a fact that LEDs work...bc I have 1 complete grow under my belt and I'm the the flowering phase of my next grow.

and the reason you dont see them in huge grows is the price of the equipment is not on par with HID lighting, that and a lot of people tend to listen to other people's opinion on the matter rather than testing it out and see how they actually perform instead of how someone told you they perform.

peace friends,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #293462 - 10/07/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I'd find a new teacher. If this garbage is true
Quote:

The bulbs give off a red n blue color, not spectrum, the spectrum comes from the gases burning inside the bulb, not the paint on the outside of bulb.

have him explain how phosphorus coated bulbs work I'd be interested on what he has to say. What about the green bulbs that people use to go in the grow rooms at night, there not green on the inside but coated with a special color green on the outside. Having used one of those bulbs for years I'd have fucked up thousands of plants if this was true.

me too.  I use a green cfl for night work.  Never fucks up my plants.  I would love to get an LED grow but I just don't know where to start looking.  Local hydro shops I won't even bother with for the leds.  How did you decide to get the set up you did agmotes165?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: LED lights [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #293659 - 10/08/09 08:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well I did a butt load of research, looking at all LED suppliers, and the ones from china you can get pretty cheap off of ebay, its just they leave out a lot of information and would cost you loads of time and money in shipping and handling if it breaks. I finally settled on growlLED (google it if ur interested) They have a pretty good return policy, can be contacted easily, and list things like lumen output.

The part I had the hardest time figuring out is the % of HID light that is in the red/blue spectrum so I could convert the lumen output for the LEDs to an equivilent output in HID or sunlight. I have found that for a 1:8 blue:red or a 1:1:7 blue:orange:red LED, you multiply the rated lumen output by 10 to get an extremely conservative estimate of equivilent light for an HID. Usually the ones I get are worth about 15x the lumen output, but LED light output diminishes over time...so we'll see how that works out.

For example, on the website, my 120W LED is rated at 4200 lumens, and they never look like they are putting out enough light, but at 3 inches above the canopy, it performs about like a 600W HID, or anywhere from 45-55k lumens of regular light.

The only drawback is lack of UVB, which can be easily fixed with a small reptile UVB CFL from petsmart. Also a 23W CFL during veg seems to help a lot, though I have gotten 1/8 inch internodal spacing from LED alone. The big thing is that you can put it right on top of the plant without burning, as long as the leaves dont actually touch the glass then they wont burn, period. :dancingshroom:

hope this helps, if you have any more questions, I will try my best to give a good answer. :grin:

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED lights (moved) [Re: 114425]
    #295796 - 10/12/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This thread was moved from Hydroponic & Agroponics.

Reason:
Better in general cult

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds