Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

500w LED
    #716595 - 02/21/14 10:51 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

what size grow tent would fit best with one 500w led? it says it covers a 4x2 area but I'd like some opinions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: 500w LED [Re: richismalls]
    #716779 - 02/21/14 08:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

got a link to the LED you bought ?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #717039 - 02/22/14 07:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Buying the right LED is tricky, its impossible to say without seeing the light. There is a lot of false advertisement in the market right now. And many of the LED's are garbage for what you spend.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleP-O

Re: 500w LED [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #717040 - 02/22/14 07:39 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I almost spent a bunch on a shitty model.... ended up gettin a 600hps setup for 1/4 of the price ($150)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 500w LED [Re: P-O]
    #717047 - 02/22/14 07:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't spend the money on a real fixture you're basically throwing away your money. The results are always sub par when saving money on LED's.

For a 2x4 area I would use the DS400 for $1000 and get amazing results.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#717090 - 02/23/14 01:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the help everyone! I'm looking to get a 4x4, maybe a 5x5 tent and I'm trying to figure out what light would be good. or proper coverage area. what are some good brands? I do see a good variety of lights with all different price ranges. I have like 500-600$ for my light fixture if I can help it, but i am willing to spend more.

Edited by richismalls (02/23/14 01:40 PM)

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#717093 - 02/23/14 01:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I do see that there isnt much price difference between the grow blu(240x3) and the kind (K3-L600)lights but im not sure if i want to run 500watts "at the wall" compared to kind's 320 "ATW". The Ebay Vipar brand is considerably cheaper giving 600watt power with 360watts "ATW"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600W-LED-Grow-Light-Hydroponic-Full-Spectrum-Indoor-Garden-Panel-Bloom-Veg-Lamp-/121237493646?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIND-600-Watt-LED-Grow-Light-/251454323064?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3a8bd87978

http://growblu.com/240x3w-apollo-led-grow-light

Edited by richismalls (02/23/14 08:29 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #717169 - 02/23/14 08:43 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Definitely go with GrowBlu before those generic (despite having a name) fixture on ebay. Never heard of either of those brands, but from quick glance at the unit and it just screams generic.

Vipar  200 diodes--360w (1.8watts per diode, under powered probably to keep cool and extend life)and a wimpy 1 yr warranty. $269. Cheap, but priced that way for a reason. I doubt it has any penetration and will annoy you until you get 3 or 4 of them in there--and even then maybe you'll be pissed off. The diodes are way too densely packed for it to be cooled efficiently. You also want the lights spread out a little more so that you get area coverage. That fixture is a nicer version than the regular cheapies, but still not acceptable in my book.

Kind    150 diodes--320w, 20 lb. $895. It seems like they might have a decent light, I'd have to see some grow results from it. Priced high compared to the grow blue with 90 more diodes. I don't like their marketing, trying to sell you a 600w HPS equivalent, not an LED grow light that can hold its own(sure say it in the details, but not in the naming of the light so you get confused thinking its higher powered than it really is.) They also are wrong about their math in their "150x3w=450 true watts" in that there was never an actual "3 watt" LED, thats just an old marketing term used to designate the higher amperage diodes. Its come to represent the higher intensity diodes, but not its technical specs. They try and pass it off as diode efficiency, but the 3w diodes true watts are only around 2w to start. And to get a 600w equivalent on about half the wattage is really pushing it

GrowBlu 240 diodes--501w, 34 lb. $899 I've seen grow logs and there are some videos on youtube that show the results. I was planning on sticking with Advanced LED but that GrowBlu  fixture you posted was making me reconsider and try out GrowBlu for my next upgrade (although I might stick with Advanced to keep with the 90 degree lens angle.) One would do for a few plants but two of them in a 4x4 or 5x5 area would be completely decked out with wall to wall bud capacity.

Trust me when I say your gonna want the higher wattage fixture. If all things are equal about the lights, the sheer number of diodes will ensure more light and thus more bud. It will be worth it. Your looking at about $6 per month to run at 12/12 (@ $0.10/kw-h) compared to the Kind, which will produce more than a few grams worth of bud.

One important thing to consider about LED's is the fixture size. Some are rectangular fixtures that somehow have a square footprint, and vice versa. I like the shape of the GrowBlu because its able to fit in a 4' wide area perfectly.  They say 2x5 coverage area so its kind of a narrow strip for just one to be in there. It would be perfect for a 2x4 tent, but a 4x4 you'd still be able to get plants in the 3x4 area, but not as dense toward the outer edges.

Gotta make sure that the fixtures that you buy (its always good to go with multiple fixtures for wider light distribution) are going to be compatible with your grow area. For example my Advanced DS400 has a core coverage of 2.5'x4 which makes it perfect for two of them in a 4x4 tent with a little bit of overlap in the center. Its hard to mix and match different fixtures to an area and have that nice even light distribution.

I've never tried the GrowBlu so I can't say for certain, but I would expect that they are up to the high standards required for a good LED grow light. Although the Kind brand looks like its got some good specifications, I'm still weary about it. Vipar looks very wimpy.

--------------------

Offlinechris606
Stranger

Re: 500w LED [Re: phychotron]
    #717208 - 02/24/14 07:06 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.topledgrowlight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_10&products_id=69

Mars II LED Grow Light

damn good lights I can give you a site of ppl that you can talk to about the lights if you wont it  a lot of ppl are using them if you wont the link I will give it in pm just let me no

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 500w LED [Re: chris606]
    #717211 - 02/24/14 08:24 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I tend to stay away from those generic alibaba specials. I've seen those lights as a few different "brands" but they're just basic resellers from china. You can usually spot the bullshitters by their high wattage models that only draw about half of what they calculate. Plus they usually have a basic spectrum, like that one only having a few 'bands' of color, and white is now popular.

If you look at the Mars II 400wThey say an area of 3x3, but really looking at a 2x2 core area tops, making it take at least 4 of them for a 4x4 area. And they are most likely going to be under powered for that area. YES, they probably grow bud, but does it have penetration power?

I'd like to see these grow logs, from what I've seen online that style is not very impressive, on par with other generic lights. Some of these generic fixtures have "great results" but from people who are new to growing or don't know what a light is capable of. Some can produce good sized dense bud, but usually the yield is lower from lack of penetration. The buds can be good and dense, but more spacing between them and lack of lower bud development.

"saving money" is a marketing trend, not necessarily a great way to purchase LED grow lights for maximum performance.  Now without trying them personally its hard to say what a fixture is capable of, but I'm done trying to save money on discount LED's, its just not worth it for me. 

The parent company listed under affiliates is http://mazentop.com/, a Chinese website. Which for me just says they know how to build a website in English to push their wares at retail level. It says to me that they are just producing lights to marketing-rich standards, not necessarily building a better cannabis grow light. Most LED's are made in china true, but not all LED's are created equally. The Chinese are notorious for being able to sell you a cheaper product, and they are not afraid to sacrifice performance in order to save a few bucks.  Having a US based company importing them helps keep performance up and standards high.

--------------------

Offlinechris606
Stranger

#717256 - 02/24/14 11:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I am not getting in a pissing match with you I don't use them I no a lot of ppl that do with 100% beter thin hps if he wont the link to talk to the grows them self I will give hem the link --LED suck--

you are barking up the wrong tree with dud

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#717360 - 02/24/14 05:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

thank you for the help and taking the time to respond! i ended up going with the grow blu (thank you tax return). with a three year warranty it sounds like the best bet

InvisibleP-O

#717377 - 02/24/14 06:21 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

now that you got a grow light you might as well stick around and learn more about growin :thumbup:

doin a grow log is a good way to get expert advice the whole way

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#717384 - 02/24/14 07:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i for sure will! i have some other questions posted in the forum. also, ive been reading on here(threads and cultivation guides) for quite a while and watching a shit load of you tube videos. i believe ive become obsessed with it.

InvisibleP-O

#717385 - 02/24/14 07:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

what strain(s) are you gonna run first? 

or just do some bag seed?

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#717387 - 02/24/14 07:55 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Friday I ordered Dutch Passion's feminised Dutch Cheese and Mazar. I read the little snippet that talks about the strain but im sure they are all set to look as nice as possible so i just kinda picked.

OfflineMonk
Stranger
    #722813 - 03/23/14 03:40 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

hi,

just wanned to reply: Dutch passion, Grow Northern and Autoflower Center all have like the same model of Apollo LED lights, renamed of course, but they are good lights! When buying direct from china its one thing, but buying these highly customized panels is a good investment.

I know AC customized their panel to the max; like dp, like gn. They all have customized light spectrums to suit your plants, and they now come with 2 lens options for better coverage or better canopy/bud penetration.

*** gn`s and dp`s are `switchable` panels meaning they have a Veg/flower Swith, only Autoflower Center`s AC-X6 comes without such switch, which i think its better. Its shines at full power 270w at all times @ a perfect spectrums combination.

Do not buy apollo directly from China. They come with bad LED chips, mostly in just 2 or 3 color spectrums blue/red. Or blue/red/ir.

good luck to everyone :wink:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 500w LED [Re: Monk]
    #722835 - 03/23/14 10:37 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

I just got a GrowBlu Apollo 240x3 that seems to be doing very well. Second week of flower but its doing really well so far.

Here it is on the far end, holding up well next to the Advanced LED. The color is more blueish than the Advanced, as you can see in the photo the plants in the back are a different color. It also only has one switch, which is fine but it'd be nice to have a second on a fixture that large.

They are also a bit cheaper, @ $940 for 240x3 501w Apollo and $995 for 200x3 390w DS400. I'd expect it to outperform the DS based on wattage alone, but I think they have a different lens angle, they have a 2x5 and 2.5x4 foot area coverage area respectively. Its always hard to do a direct comparison, but I think that by forcing them to cover a 2x4 area should set them about equal. The DS400 is in the dead center which makes it get light on both sides making it somewhat favorable though.

This light is a good example of how the LED market is, you can get the same shell with completely different inside, and depending on who you pay for the light depends on how the light performs. People don't seem to understand that they are more expensive for a reason, and that a lot of it is that there is a guy developing/customizing the lights to our standards.

"Do not buy apollo directly from China. They come with bad LED chips, mostly in just 2 or 3 color spectrums blue/red. Or blue/red/ir."

Thats like the LED blank canvas model, you need to pay an artist if you want some color on it. Just looking at those three they are all different, similar, but different. The spectrums on those are still very basic but not the same. If you check out the GrowBlu version it has 8 colors + white vs those three that have 4 + white. Some have all Epiled diodes (from what i can tell the cheaper brand) others have a few or white only. It *seems* Epiled<Epistar<Bridgelux<Cree for diodes, but some brands do better for certain wavelengths. Bridgelux is suppose to be best in red, cree in blue/white. Epiled's  seem to only be on the discounted models, which makes me not want to trust them.

Autoflower Center: EPILED 630nm, 660nm, 725nm  460nm, 5700k
Grow Northern: EPILED 630nm, 660nm, 725nm  460nm, 5700k
Dutch Passion: Epistar 630nm, 660nm, 730nm & EPILED 460nm, EPILED 5700k
GrowBlu: 380, 430, 450, 470, 630, 650, 660, 730, 10,000k. Epistar/Bridgelux

Looking at those 4 suppliers of the Apollo I'd say GrowBlu is the probably the best. Designed exactly the same but different diodes to provide a better spectrum. I would not order from those first three suppliers.

--------------------

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#723457 - 03/26/14 11:35 PM (10 years, 4 days ago)

thank you all for taking the time to respond. I went with the 180x3 grow blu for my 4x4 tent. let's hope it does me some good!

InvisibleP-O

#723468 - 03/27/14 12:22 AM (10 years, 4 days ago)

Im sure its gonna do well..... id love to upgrade to a sick LED someday.  :cool:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #723473 - 03/27/14 03:46 AM (10 years, 4 days ago)

Thats pushing it a bit for that size light and footprint. I think 2 of that size would be about right in a 4x4 area, but should still do well in the main footprint of the light. Glad to see you decided to get the GrowBlu, it seems like the best of the Apollo imports

--------------------

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#723492 - 03/27/14 08:40 AM (10 years, 3 days ago)

So are LEDs all about coverage? Because if you think about it they don't actually have a higher wattage, they have higher watts because they literally have more lights?  all the models are the same thing. just larger.  yeah I would like to eventually get another one. the site said it covered a 2x4 area so for my budget that's what I grabbed. I went all out and didn't spare many expenses with my setup so when it came time I grabbed the 700$ light

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#723493 - 03/27/14 08:46 AM (10 years, 3 days ago)

also my friend who has a lot of experience and owns a grow supply store said i shouldnt have bought the blu. and recommended a 315watt MH sun system instead (mainly because I dont want to cool my light). thoughts?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #723547 - 03/27/14 03:06 PM (10 years, 3 days ago)

Grow stores don't know a damn thing about LED's, they will always tell you to buy a bulb setup. Its guaranteed to get you to come back. Every hydro store I've seen with an LED have all had a generic Chinese high-watt special.

Your light will do fine, I actually thought you got a smaller 120 for some reason. The footprint says 2'x4' for your primary grow area.  Outside of that area the buds will not be as dense but still bud. The footprint on each light is what makes it difficult to decide which light works for you. The 180 is set up for your 4' wide area which makes it a good fixture to work with.

The better lights are designed for penetration instead of coverage area. Most of the better lights have individual reflectors to focus the light straight down, either 60 or 90 degrees to give you a few feet of penetrating power. Other fixtures have a higher coverage area but the penetration is not there.

--------------------

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

#723556 - 03/27/14 03:59 PM (10 years, 3 days ago)

thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. yeah I did consider that he's in that business. think about it. hoods. bulbs. duct work. ballast. all that shit goes out the window. relatively speaking.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds