Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe boat
Stranger

n00b here... composting?
    #528496 - 02/18/11 07:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Don't read this if you don't want to hear some stupid ass questions put in a stupid ass way of explaining the questions :tongue2:

OK so I understand marijuana plants need lots of nutrients or whatever, or else it wont grow so I was leaning towards doing composting for this instead of store bought stuff like miracle grow because from what I've read it's a very good natural organic method also pretty much free, anyone can do it... Free/mad cheap = good :cool:  That's why I'm looking at growing trees in the first place.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm very inexperienced and a dumb stoner :awehigh:. So when explaining shit to me, please dumb it down for lack of a better term.

So anyways, I'm going to start a compost but planting season is just around the corner, I seriously doubt I could make legit compost in that time so is it straight if I just let my shit sit next month and when the time comes just mix in the rotten fruits/veggies/grass clippings/what the fuck ever WITH the soil? I assume this is how you give the plants nutritions when it's not mixed in the with the water? Or do you just put that shit around your plant and it'll seep in the soil or some shit when you pour water over it?

Also side question: does the plant show any physical signs to show if the pH levels is either to acidic or basic because I know how to rise the levels of acid or base if i know witch one I need to fix. I want to buy minimum amount of shit but if there's not away then fuck it pH tester it is.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedankakanat
Never a failure, Always a lesson
Male

Loc: Unknown
Re: n00b here... composting? [Re: The boat]
    #532199 - 03/02/11 11:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The boat said:
Don't read this if you don't want to hear some stupid ass questions put in a stupid ass way of explaining the questions :tongue2:

OK so I understand marijuana plants need lots of nutrients or whatever, or else it wont grow so I was leaning towards doing composting for this instead of store bought stuff like miracle grow because from what I've read it's a very good natural organic method also pretty much free, anyone can do it... Free/mad cheap = good :cool:  That's why I'm looking at growing trees in the first place.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm very inexperienced and a dumb stoner :awehigh:. So when explaining shit to me, please dumb it down for lack of a better term.

So anyways, I'm going to start a compost but planting season is just around the corner, I seriously doubt I could make legit compost in that time so is it straight if I just let my shit sit next month and when the time comes just mix in the rotten fruits/veggies/grass clippings/what the fuck ever WITH the soil? I assume this is how you give the plants nutritions when it's not mixed in the with the water? Or do you just put that shit around your plant and it'll seep in the soil or some shit when you pour water over it?

Also side question: does the plant show any physical signs to show if the pH levels is either to acidic or basic because I know how to rise the levels of acid or base if i know witch one I need to fix. I want to buy minimum amount of shit but if there's not away then fuck it pH tester it is.

Thanks for the help in advance.

im pretty sure if u dig a little trench out around your stem and place shit or fish guts in it and cover it back up and water it, it will seep in the soil.

--------------------

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

Re: n00b here... composting? [Re: dankakanat]
    #535473 - 03/10/11 10:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Compost takes a few years to completely decompose so that animals don't dig it up along with your plants.  Compost is a great idea.  Those black, vented, square bins you put outback works well.  Keep a 5gallon bucket on your porch and see how fast you fill it.  egg shells, fish, fruit cores are all good.  Seeds in the compost will sprout and make it really really weedy if you don't let the compost sit a very long time.  I would suggest putting horse dung and carp fish in the bottom of the holes you dig.  Toss some dirt on top and let sit for a couple weeks before you add more soil and transplant.  The roots will eventually find their way into the nitrogen rich layer at the bottom and your plants will look remarkable!:syringe::mushroom2:

Offlineskyjohnny
Stranger

Re: n00b here... composting? [Re: encryptor]
    #550313 - 04/24/11 08:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Compost can be "made," in as little as two weeks. Start to finish. The carbon:nitrogen levels must be ideal for the microbes, they consume about 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen. Different organic materials have a different carbon:nitrogen ratio, horse poo is nearly 30:1 and straw I believe is somewhere close.
Putting uncomposted materials in your grow medium will cause a lack of nitrogen because the microbes will be competing with the plant for it, which can be very bad for growth.
Smaller particles will provide more surface area and break down faster. So anything you put in your compost should be broken up as fine as possible. I chop my straw with the lawn mower and shred my veg. scraps.
Composting microbes also need fresh air and plenty of water, so turning/mixing your pile is very helpful, along with wetting it often.

Hope this helps

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale