Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
new grower
    #495887 - 11/07/10 01:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello ladies and gentalmen,
I am a first time grower and have run into some "issues".  Now I realize that I won't have a perfect success rate on my first time out but I would like to get as close to it as possible.  I have done quiet a bit of research on this and think that I am fairly well informed for where I am at.  Ofcourse I can and i am willing to always learn more.  Now enough with intros. 
I have planted 7 seeds and all have sprouted and look really good from what I can tell.  Except for one.  I am about two weeks in.  The strongest plant (by my calculations) (biggest leaves and best color overall) has developed a yellow spot on one of the small "oval" shapped leaves.  the spot is on the tip and fairly bright in color.  the rest of the plant/leaves are a nice shade of green.  No real wilting to the leaves that i can see at this point.  In the research I have done this appears to be a nitrogen diffecency(sp).  although again I am inexperienced and seeking the advice of the more knowledgeable.  Oh.... Indoor grow, florecent lights (for now) distilled water every two-three days as needed.  organic soil mix.  thats all i can think of now.  I took pictures with my phone but it won't let me put them on my pc.... stupid technology. any help or advice is as always appreciated. 
I appoligise this is rather lengthy. I also appoligise for my ignorance.  Just looking to learn. 
thank you so much for your time and input.
sveumy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: new grower [Re: sveumy]
    #495898 - 11/07/10 04:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the cotyledon leaves (those 2 small oval ones that came out of the seed) die off relatively quickly once the true fan leaves emerge.
if its just those small oval leaves and not any of the spiky fan leaves i wouldnt stress at all

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: new grower [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #495940 - 11/07/10 09:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It does sound, however, like you're gonna want to get some nutes for those babies here shortly... from what I've understood is that once those cotyledon die off, you're gonna want to start a light feeding schedule...

Also, don't apologise for not knowing anything! That's what this whole forum is about: spreading proper info on the cultivation of cannabis. If you don't ask questions, how are you supposed to learn? Lol.

Welcome to the Growey!

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: new grower [Re: Tank333]
    #496008 - 11/07/10 03:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thank you.  that actually makes alot of sense now that some one else says it.  I will be starting nutes on their next feeding 50% of recomended potency?

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496011 - 11/07/10 03:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Another question.... a buddy of mine thinks I am over complicating things.  It is his opinion that you throw the seed in a pot give it some light, water and miricle grow and you will be fine.  I am stressed that my plants aren't getting enough light and definately won't be getting enough light the  bigger they get.  So I guess my question is am I over complicating things? 
I am not looking to grow winning buds here just better then what I can buy locally.
thanks again
sveumy

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #496028 - 11/07/10 04:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Stay away from MG. It will grow pot but taste like shit.

For me its that easy, almost.

Good soil(FF/OF), lots of light, good nutes. Made any bag seed better than the smoke it came from.

Throw in some good genetics, FarOut. Then all you got to worry about is pH and pest.

I would suggest you get this book, Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes. A must read for newbies.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: new grower [Re: KaptKid]
    #496040 - 11/07/10 05:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, how many watts do you have on your plants right now, and how far away from the plants are the lights?

With flouros, they lose a lot of light the further away from the plants they are.

Another thing you want to consider would be your watt/square foot ratio. Everyone here says to shoot for 50w per square foot. My grow is in a 4x4 tent, and will have a 1000 watt light, giving it a 62.5watt/square foot ratio.

Also, you'll definitely NOT want to use miracle grow products... they're not made for growing bud, and as such are shunned by most growers. Some people do say that they've never had any problems with taste or anything with MG, but I sure haven't had that experience... lol

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496052 - 11/07/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Excelent, I will pick that up.  Thank you. 
Another question for everyone.  LOL I am full of them it just has to come to me. 
I have spent the last two months or so reading different articles, forums, and other little tidbits on this here interweb.  It seems to me like most of it if not all is very opinionated.  How is it that one would deside what is best for their garden? or rather whos opinion is best for their garden?  Also alot of what I read seems to be more dedicated to larger grow ops, hydro, and so forth.  I read through this stuff and think yeah that would be great if I could acquire one of those decommisioned underground missle silos and not have the electric company report me for having a $10,000 light bill.  but in alreality I am growing in a closet using pots and soil.  I am not trying to sell,  I am just looking to get the best smoke with out having to risk my ass.
as always opinions and suggestions are appreciated. 
(this turned out to be more of a rant then anything i guess)
thanks again
sveumy

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496060 - 11/07/10 06:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

lighting is my biggest concern at this point.  I will be looking to upgrade from the flouros asap.  I will be making a trip into town tomorrow with finding new lights as my primary goal.  Suggestions?  I need to keep heat down as hacking into my walls for proper ventilation is not possible.... (rented apartment) from what I have read hps would be to hot for my current set up.  closet is 2'x8'.  current ventalation is some what of an masterpiece in my opinion. But will not sustain much more heat.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496068 - 11/07/10 06:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

current lighting.  3 2ft flouros with plant lights 75 watts/light  1 4ft 2 light ballast with grow lights 40 watts/light and for suplimental light 2 incadecent grow lights 65 watts/light.  I believe the incandecents are putting off the most heat so if at all possible those need to go, but at the same time they also seem to be producing the best growth.  so in theory I have 435 watts in a 2x8 inclosure.  Temps are running mid to high 80's during lights on and high 70's to low 80's lights off.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: new grower [Re: Tank333]
    #496107 - 11/07/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Currently the grow room has 2, 1000 watt lights with sun system 2,air coolled hoods. Had a 100 plants in a SOG.
Have a grow journal. Purple #1.

My 1st grow had bat wings. That was hot in there.

With fans on can keep lights about a foot from plants.

--------------------

Edited by KaptKid (11/07/10 07:50 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#496111 - 11/07/10 07:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What kind of buget do you have for this project?

--------------------

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496147 - 11/07/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Budget is what ever I want to spend.  I own my own company and business is great.  I don't want to go crazy because well I am trying to keep this in the hobby phase. I am thinking 5-10 harvestable females every 3-6 months.  That is more then enough to supply friends and myself with quality smokeable product.  I feel that if I get any larger then that I will need to move what I have and well I just don't have those kinds of friends.  nor do I need the money or the hassle. 
I have considered a 1000 watt system but fear it might spike my temp to much.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#496155 - 11/07/10 11:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Next question.
Do you want to grow from seed and change strains each time. Or grow from clone and keep a mother?

--------------------

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496169 - 11/08/10 12:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would prefer to clone..... That being said I will deffinately want a little better strain to clone from.  The stuff I have been getting and pulling seeds from is fairly low grade.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#496170 - 11/08/10 12:20 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Plus as i understand it by cloning I can maintain a fairly regular harvest cycle.

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

#496218 - 11/08/10 07:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sveumy said:
Excelent, I will pick that up.  Thank you. 
Another question for everyone.  LOL I am full of them it just has to come to me. 
I have spent the last two months or so reading different articles, forums, and other little tidbits on this here interweb.  It seems to me like most of it if not all is very opinionated.  How is it that one would deside what is best for their garden? or rather whos opinion is best for their garden?  Also alot of what I read seems to be more dedicated to larger grow ops, hydro, and so forth.  I read through this stuff and think yeah that would be great if I could acquire one of those decommisioned underground missle silos and not have the electric company report me for having a $10,000 light bill.  but in alreality I am growing in a closet using pots and soil.  I am not trying to sell,  I am just looking to get the best smoke with out having to risk my ass.
as always opinions and suggestions are appreciated. 
(this turned out to be more of a rant then anything i guess)
thanks again
sveumy

Welcome.. Go to search posts and type in stuff like closet grow and cab grow. They will directly pertain to your small hobby grow. I have a 2'x2'x4' cabinet going right now, and got a lot of help from that search. As for whose advice to trust, well, a picture's worth 1000 words.
If heat is an issue, with absolutely no way to vent, I would at least replace those incandescents with high wattage cfls.

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: new grower [Re: Hendershot]
    #496552 - 11/09/10 02:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

alright new lights are set up.  I ended up buying a 600 watt MH/HPS convertable with a wing.  I also bought all new nuets botanicare pure blend pro grow, pure blend pro bloom, liquid karma, and cal mag plus.  I immediately noticed the difference in light out put when I plugged in the new system.  I am still running my 3 2ft flouros.  I figure you can never have too much light?!  It is clear I will have to find a way to better ventilate.  other then that we are off to tbe races.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals