Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewannabe
Stranger
Second soil grow need advice
    #473998 - 09/08/10 07:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I've been researching for about a year now, I kindof fucked up the last grow, used a 600watt HPS, inline extractor fan, store-bought soil with no additives and a couple of desk fans.

They practically grew themselves except they had brownish patches on the leaves, and were drooping slightly, I'm sure the light was to blame(about 60cm from the top) especially since it wasn't air-cooled or anythin.

The hairs on the top bud were very short and burnt, and the strain was easy ryder x ak47 (lowryder), got about 3 ounce dry of 3 plants which I thought was great because I didn't think I'd even get them to bud, I'm broke as a joke now, and sold all the equipment cheap for a few bags of dirt weed, to say i regret it now would be an understatement lol

Anyway I was thinking of just buying a couple of things every week until I've got everything I need apart from the expensive stuff like extractor fans and air-cooled lights. My plan is to get absolutely everything that will help, don't care how long it takes.

I've been reading through magashes posts and I've learnt alot but I'm only half-way through and I've all the other TC posts to read. Here is what I've ordered so far this week:

Fish emulsion
Seaweed extract
Super Thrive

Here is what I plan to buy next week:

Worm castings
Canna professional Soil Mix

I want to do it right this time so I'd like anyone/TC's to add any tips/suggestions that will make a noticable difference, and tell me where to get the best feminized seeds, thanks.

EDIT: Just cancelled my order of floranova and got super thrive instead, I'll get that later on, read alot of good things about this, anyone used it before and how effective was it? thanks

Edited by wannabe (09/08/10 12:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Second soil grow need advice [Re: wannabe]
    #474074 - 09/08/10 11:29 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

First off check the contents of the soil mix. There may be stuff in it already in large enough amounts that you don't need to buy them. Very common now for worm castings to be in the mix which would get rid of the need for you to buy them.

Flora Nova will be far more important to the plant then Super thrive. Remember that super thrive contains hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide.

In other words the plants will need food before they need additives.

Fish emulsion is good but not great as a food for pot plants.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinewannabe
Stranger
Re: Second soil grow need advice [Re: Magash]
    #474080 - 09/08/10 11:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks alot for the reply magash! just checked the contents of the soil and it's already got 20% perlite so I'll skip that no worm castings though, my logic for replacing floranova bloom with super thrive is because I was under the impression I'd only need the bloom for flowering, and no nutes except organics until then.

Would you recommend using floranova veg instead of the seaweed/fish emulsion/superthrive, or could I use them all in conjunction with eachother? feels like I've just wasted money and you've said before that organics is a waste of time, there on their way so can't cancel either

Edited by wannabe (09/08/10 11:57 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #474101 - 09/08/10 12:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well super thrive and the seaweed are suppose to be used with a food program rather then be the food program. Now as far as not needing to feed until flowering that all depends on how much soil the plant is in. Now if it's in a 20 gallon pot or a huge hole then you can get away with it but if it's in a 7.5 gallon pot or less then you will most likely need to feed them.
Remember the plants will be using the nutrients but there will also be losses from runoff when you water the plant. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinewannabe
Stranger
    #474111 - 09/08/10 01:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll just have to get massive pots and another bag of soil, I'm guessing the more root space the better but still plan on buying the floranova veg just to be sure.

I was thinking of feeding them floranova veg one week, seaweed and highly diluted superthrive the next, etc just alternating them to avoid any risk of burns, would more soil decrease the risk somewhat?

PS: By the way I remember your rye tek from the shroomery, helped me understand alot of things and got my first sucessful monotub out of it

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #474126 - 09/08/10 01:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You could give super thive with the food if you want you only use 1 drop per gallon. The more soil decreasing the risk of burns depends on you. Say you have plants in one gallon pots and give them one gallon of nutrient solution they may burn. Now say you give plants in 5 gallon pots 1 gallon each they most likely wouldn't burn. Here is the problem with that. Since they are in bigger pots you're gonna give em more so they still fry.

Not on the amount of root space when it comes to burning but on how strong you make the mixture. :wink:

Also remember when you first put the plants in the soil they won't need food for 2 to 4 weeks in most cases.

--------------------

Offlinewannabe
Stranger
    #474469 - 09/09/10 03:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok thanks for the info magash I'll update with any progress as it goes along, hopefully gotta job coming up soon so I might be buying the extractor fan sooner than I thought, once ive got it all ready which could be a 2-3 months i'll post some pictures with the webcam thanks for the help

Edited by wannabe (09/09/10 03:44 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #474470 - 09/09/10 04:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds